Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Watched the video, he does everything so fast however that I cannot ascertain if when doing the knob twiddling he is making incremental adjustments exactly the same leaps as a mouse scroll wheel or finer. This for me is the big one, I don't really see my work flow being speeded up if I am stuck at 1.10>1.20 and what I want is to choose 1.15 for example, therefore being forced back to the slider and manually pulling the slider about via the mouse or clicking into the field and entering the value specifically.

Screen real estate for me is not an issue.

In someways I far prefer the idea of a singular knob to turn, I use mouse to click the slider I want to change and turn the knob, I don't much like the idea of having multiple knobs to commit to memory or glance down at when working. I really want my eyes to stay fixed on the screen but simply just want better fine tuning for the values of the instruments I click on.

My secondary concern is LR is just a small component of my editing process. From LR I launch Topaz plugins, I do masking, I adjust values and sliders in this interface as well, and then not just LR but also PS for further Topaz plugins (and masking where masking may not be possible from LR>Topaz and back).

I feel the only thing that will really genuinely speed up my editing process is a universal knob that will work in various software/interfaces. Click the slider with a mouse you want to adjust, twist the knob, perhaps clicking the knob allows for a finer value tuning etc. Double click the knob reset, something like that. If I could find a dial that did that... I'd be sold I think.
The knobs work just like the slider, going up or down in the same increments in the same range. Just like sliding. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. If I want +1..12, I dial up to that. It essentially maps the range of the slider to the range of the knob. You see the values change in the popup box on screen so you don't have to state at the slider, if for some reason the value itself is important vs just looking at the image.

I'm enamored of keyboard shortcuts and stuff, so have little trouble remembering which knob to turn, and it's kinda nice to do two at once. It would be nice if it were easier to reposition the cursor in Lr, but I haven't figured out a good way to do that without having to mouse around. That's one reason I went to MIDI.

The MIDIs are obviously favored by people who do lots of images. I use many other pieces of software aside from Lr, but by definition ALL of my keepers are in Lr and so all have to be processed at least a bit there. So it speeds things up for me a lot, not to mention I much prefer the speed and find control of adjustments even on a single image. Kinda like playing a musical instrument. Selecting ranges of images and rating them for culling for example is quite quick, and I never have to take my hands off the wheel, so to speak.

There are of course shuttles, if that's what you mean by universal knob (sounds kinda like an English insult, no? ), which I assume you've considered, but most I've seen work off keyboard shortcuts. Used extensively with the video programs. In Lr you can tab from slider to slider, but that is too slow for me since it goes through every box and every slider. Maybe there's a way around that, but having found my solution I never explored it.

04-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
The knobs work just like the slider, going up or down in the same increments in the same range. Just like sliding. I'm not sure if that's what you mean. If I want +1..12, I dial up to that. It essentially maps the range of the slider to the range of the knob. You see the values change in the popup box on screen so you don't have to state at the slider, if for some reason the value itself is important vs just looking at the image.

I'm enamored of keyboard shortcuts and stuff, so have little trouble remembering which knob to turn, and it's kinda nice to do two at once. It would be nice if it were easier to reposition the cursor in Lr, but I haven't figured out a good way to do that without having to mouse around. That's one reason I went to MIDI.

The MIDIs are obviously favored by people who do lots of images. I use many other pieces of software aside from Lr, but by definition ALL of my keepers are in Lr and so all have to be processed at least a bit there. So it speeds things up for me a lot, not to mention I much prefer the speed and find control of adjustments even on a single image. Kinda like playing a musical instrument. Selecting ranges of images and rating them for culling for example is quite quick, and I never have to take my hands off the wheel, so to speak.

There are of course shuttles, if that's what you mean by universal knob (sounds kinda like an English insult, no? ), which I assume you've considered, but most I've seen work off keyboard shortcuts. Used extensively with the video programs. In Lr you can tab from slider to slider, but that is too slow for me since it goes through every box and every slider. Maybe there's a way around that, but having found my solution I never explored it.
Thanks for that.

Yeh currently I am concerned with the increments in which we are forced to deal with, it seems the same is true for a MIDI board, a Logitech Craft Crown wheel and I'm guessing the Shuttle as well.

The increments I mean are Exposure (in LR) jumps in steps of 0.10 (so adjusting with a dial it would go from 1.10 >1.20 >1.30 and so on so forth. Temperature I think jumps in 300 kelvins at a go? And other sliders are jumping in increments of 5.

If you want a value between these two places yer manually taking the mouse to the slider and fiddling every so slightly to get it (urgh), or indeed clicking in the field and manually entering it.

PS brushes also annoy me, 500 and then 1000 is the next jump up, often I want 800 size brush etc.

I can understand why LR has chosen those increment value steps for different things, fine tune the slider too much and it takes forever to get anywhere... but with a dial you can spin quicker I woulda thought that wouldn't be an issue so much and a preferable outcome.

I just don't much like investing in $$ for a dial or whatever and being stuck at exactly the same leaps/steps of increment changes I get right now if I hover my mouse over the slider and do the same...

I want to figure out now if you can tell LR to change the increment steps somewhere, then that changes things massively and all these controllers become a lot more attractive.
04-23-2018, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

For Lightroom editing, I have my Theremin linked up to my PC.

04-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #19
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
For Lightroom editing, I have my Theremin linked up to my PC.

Leon Theremin playing his own instrument - YouTube
Gold star mate. Well done.

Tas

04-24-2018, 04:31 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just discovered, holding shift key down when mouse is on a slider gives finer increment adjustments, this trumps a dial lol
04-24-2018, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ah, I misunderstood a bit.

On my MIDI controller there are little indents so it moves .08 per indent. Dunno what others do; 1/12 of a stop is fine enough for any of my stuff, since I can always just switch to the keyboard and enter any x.xx value, or use +/- arrows for .33 jumps, shift +/- for .10 jumps or (macOS) option arrowup/arrowdown for .02 jumps. Which is kinda silly; I didn't even know it was there till I stumbled on it. Although it could be nice if you need to slow down the slide for fine tuning. With MIDI2Lr you can adjust the values sent; by default it's 128 (0-127); I can change it to 0-100 if I want .10 steps and there might be ways to map smaller amounts, but again I haven't seen any reason to do that. With relative instead of absolute values, you might be able to get to .01, although that's a lotta knob twirling. Although I guess you could one big jump exposure knob and one fine tune exposure knob. Details here: MIDI Controller Setup rsjaffe/MIDI2LR Wiki GitHub
04-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, I misunderstood a bit.

On my MIDI controller there are little indents so it moves .08 per indent. Dunno what others do; 1/12 of a stop is fine enough for any of my stuff, since I can always just switch to the keyboard and enter any x.xx value, or use +/- arrows for .33 jumps, shift +/- for .10 jumps or (macOS) option arrowup/arrowdown for .02 jumps. Which is kinda silly; I didn't even know it was there till I stumbled on it. Although it could be nice if you need to slow down the slide for fine tuning. With MIDI2Lr you can adjust the values sent; by default it's 128 (0-127); I can change it to 0-100 if I want .10 steps and there might be ways to map smaller amounts, but again I haven't seen any reason to do that. With relative instead of absolute values, you might be able to get to .01, although that's a lotta knob twirling. Although I guess you could one big jump exposure knob and one fine tune exposure knob. Details here: MIDI Controller Setup rsjaffe/MIDI2LR Wiki GitHub
Two knobs, one for larger increments, the other finer, sounds like a decent set up.

I forget that the MIDI you have isn't a dial that spins around infinitely (like the Crown would on the Logitech Craft), so perhaps indeed you can specify the increment steps with your controller, definitely a huge advantage that a generic spinning dial might struggle with.

So are you saying currently in Exposure, when you turn the dial a single notch it's moving 0.08 rather than 0.10 (that the rest of us keyboard and mouse folk are stuck with)?

I shall now have a look over the MIDI2LR link you provided.

One last thing, this MIDI tho.. it's limited functionality is to LR however is it not? If you edit in PS or perhaps a 3rd party plugin, none of the knobs will work etc, or you have to find other software for that? For example is there such a thing as MIDI2PS?
04-25-2018, 07:33 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, by default mine is .08 (1/12th of a stop, can't ever see needing finer). I dunno if that applies to all. Basically I guess the range of the slider (10) divided by 127 or thereabouts.

And you know you're not stuck with .10, right? as noted above you've got .02 as well. I can't imagine that isn't sufficient.

And Photoshop? I dunno. I use a Wacom, but I think the only other controller I've seen is the commercial Palette gear, which also works on Lr and Premiere. Nice, but expensive.

04-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, by default mine is .08 (1/12th of a stop, can't ever see needing finer). I dunno if that applies to all. Basically I guess the range of the slider (10) divided by 127 or thereabouts.

And you know you're not stuck with .10, right? as noted above you've got .02 as well. I can't imagine that isn't sufficient.

And Photoshop? I dunno. I use a Wacom, but I think the only other controller I've seen is the commercial Palette gear, which also works on Lr and Premiere. Nice, but expensive.
You've been really helpful, thanks.

My wife couldn't handle the noisy tapping keyboard anymore so yesterday I did go out and grab the Logitech K780 for $78AUD, it's definitely an improvement on the K480 in every regards, super soft but accurate typing, a numpad and a longer dock for tablets and phones (as well as BT connection to them).
I just think that the closed software of Logitech and the Craft/Crown dial keyboard (which is also very expensive) is going to be limited in terms of increment changes.
I had no idea holding the shift key down and using the mouse on the sliders in LR gave finer increment changes, this honestly is a game changer, if Photoshop and Topaz Plugins also gave that same feature I'd be well happy but thus far that doesn't seem to be the case.
I do find the exposure if 0.10 to large a jump and most definitely the Temp of 300 kelvin leaps is too much, holding shift down now speeds things up quite a fair bit!
Long term I will definitely consider the MIDI as well as Wacom when funds allow. I must look into the LR (and possibly PS/Topaz for the keyboard shortcuts etc, I've seen those stickers you can get for keyboards to help you out a bit etc wonder if they are any good...