Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #1
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone set up Raspberry Pi 3 for photo processing use?

So I'm toying with the idea of building a minimalist PC... not to replace my main system, but just a very basic Raspberry Pi 3 instance that I can use for internet browsing, basic office apps and some JPEG photo viewing and possibly editing.

Has anyone here set up their Raspberry Pi 3 (or earlier) for these tasks, especially the JPEG viewing and editing? I'm particularly interested in being able to colour manage the display, as well as view and perform basic edits on JPEGs. On my main system I use DisplayCAL for colour management. Has anyone used DisplayCAL successfully with the Pi 3 running Raspbian (or any other distro)? And if you installed JPEG viewing and/or editing software, what did you find worked well for you?

Thanks in advance!

04-22-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I haven't actually done it, I believe it would be pretty darn slow. You'd probably want to use a very light distro to leave more processing for the image editing- maybe a custom Arch? Ask here, I've found that they are friendly and helpful people: Raspberry Pi Forums - Index page
04-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I haven't actually done it, I believe it would be pretty darn slow. You'd probably want to use a very light distro to leave more processing for the image editing- maybe a custom Arch? Ask here, I've found that they are friendly and helpful people: Raspberry Pi Forums - Index page
Thanks, Bert

I've heard of people using Mirage quite successfully, and even GIMP (which is overkill for what I'm looking for - but pretty cool nonetheless).

I'll check out the forum link you've given
04-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I've been considering it to run PK_Tether for my K10D in the field but I haven't done anything more than that

04-22-2018, 05:13 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

You need to find some ancient Soviet computer such as the Electronika BK-0010 (Electronika BK - Wikipedia) for this project. Imagine doing Zenit lens corrections on such a machine! (OK, the BK-0010 only had 32 kB of RAM so maybe it would be limited to lens corrections of the JPEG thumbnail.)
04-22-2018, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find it hard to believe a Pi would be a good editing platform. Sure, Gimp will probably run, but on what size file?

The Pi 3 has almost the same hardware specs as my LG phone did in 2012...

I think one of the micro PCs with a more conventional chipset and a real amount of memory would be a better choice, despite the increased cost.

-Eric
04-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it would be pretty slow; I mean, I'm using a old, but much more powerful computer, and 36mp files are kind of pushing it.
04-23-2018, 02:12 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've tried to use a pi III just to sort/delete photos using Geeqie Image Viewer -- Main Project Page on my TV, but it was slow on nfs loading, zooming and pan. I ended up using an old broken screen i3 laptop.

04-23-2018, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful responses, folks I'm not sure whether they've discouraged me completely, or made me determined to give it a try Probably the former, and probably for the best

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
You need to find some ancient Soviet computer such as the Electronika BK-0010 (Electronika BK - Wikipedia) for this project. Imagine doing Zenit lens corrections on such a machine! (OK, the BK-0010 only had 32 kB of RAM so maybe it would be limited to lens corrections of the JPEG thumbnail.)
Interesting... especially the CPU - a Soviet 16-bit unit binary-compatible with the old PDP-11 ! I did a bit of development work on those, way back when
04-24-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Very slow. I have a RPi that I use as a NAS. I did try some other things with it, but while it is OK for experimental projects I would not use it for graphics production. Why not buy an old desktop PC - ebay is awash with them since they went out of fashion. Right now I'm typing on one that cost me 25 GBP, one that is vastly superior to a RPi.
04-24-2018, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Very slow. I have a RPi that I use as a NAS. I did try some other things with it, but while it is OK for experimental projects I would not use it for graphics production. Why not buy an old desktop PC - ebay is awash with them since they went out of fashion. Right now I'm typing on one that cost me 25 GBP, one that is vastly superior to a RPi.
Why try a Raspberry Pi 3 instead of buying a cheap modern PC?

Probably for the same reason that many of us try dusty old manual focus lenses from half a century ago despite their being pristine modern AF lenses with modern coatings.

Its more about finding an interesting challenge than creating an ultra-efficient photographic workflow.

Mastery is often funner than productivity (at least for some).
04-24-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #12
Sorry for all this
Loyal Site Supporter

In a slightly different light, I have acquired an Arduino to help me scan my slides. The idea is this, setup my SLR to point into a projector (with some mods of course), then use the arduino to advance the projector and fire the SLR until all the slides in the tray are scanned. I basically want an online library of all my slides that I can use to cross reference said slides in case I every want hi-res scans in the future.

---------- Post added 2018-04-24 at 10:49 ----------

Why try a Raspberry Pi 3 instead of buying a cheap modern PC?.
I did exactly this, bought an older four core Xeon (ex-CADCAM machine) with Win 10...and Bob's your Uncle...it works great
04-24-2018, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Why try a Raspberry Pi 3 instead of buying a cheap modern PC? Probably for the same reason that many of us try dusty old manual focus lenses from half a century ago despite their being pristine modern AF lenses with modern coatings.
Er .. isn't the camera analogy the other way round? I did say an old PC, not a cheap modern one. The RPi 3 is modern and an old PC is ... old; and mine must have been top-of-the range in its day. Came in a massive tower case and with Windows 7, but now dual boots with Linux. My analogy is RPi3 == phone camera; my PC == 6x7.

But you are right, the RPi would be a challenge if that's what the OP wanted..

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 04-24-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Changed LX to 6x7
04-24-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Very slow. I have a RPi that I use as a NAS. I did try some other things with it, but while it is OK for experimental projects I would not use it for graphics production. Why not buy an old desktop PC - ebay is awash with them since they went out of fashion.
Probably for the same reason that many of us try dusty old manual focus lenses from half a century ago despite their being pristine modern AF lenses with modern coatings.

Its more about finding an interesting challenge than creating an ultra-efficient photographic workflow.
This is exactly my interest... it seemed like a fun, relatively inexpensive and - therefore - low-risk project to undertake, especially since I already have a suitable monitor, keyboard and mouse. That said, if it's doomed to failure, I can do without spending even that relatively small amount, as I'm still acquiring (increasingly elusive) lenses for my collection. And for the lenses I already own, I have several servicing and repair projects in the queue... so perhaps it's a question of priorities, and time-related cost / benefit

I'm still very keen to try this, but perhaps I ought to wait until my existing project list is nearing completion... decisions, decisions
04-24-2018, 04:54 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm still very keen to try this, but perhaps I ought to wait until my existing project list is nearing completion... decisions, decisions
Just do it!

Many other uses for the Pi as well.

Make a camera trap or something.

...wait, don't think I'm helping your project list