Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DXO Labs into receivership?

I've seen a few forum members talking about using DXO Labs software, you might be interested in this"

Rumors: DxO Labs in bankruptcy or receiverships | Photo Rumors The info came via Canon Rumors and contains the following statement:

"It looks like DxO Labs has gone into receivership for the purpose of reorganizing the company. DxO Labs deals with the software side of the DxO brand, as DxOMark deals with the testing of cameras and lenses. DxO Labs would likely be the ones dealing with the Nik Software plugins acquired from Google last year."

I'm guessing it will continue but could be subject to delays in updates etc for a wee while (Note: this is all conjecture on my behalf).

Tas

04-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a dxo user and I'd be annoyed if this derails them.
04-22-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I've seen a few forum members talking about using DXO Labs software, you might be interested in this"

Rumors: DxO Labs in bankruptcy or receiverships | Photo Rumors The info came via Canon Rumors and contains the following statement:

"It looks like DxO Labs has gone into receivership for the purpose of reorganizing the company. DxO Labs deals with the software side of the DxO brand, as DxOMark deals with the testing of cameras and lenses. DxO Labs would likely be the ones dealing with the Nik Software plugins acquired from Google last year."

I'm guessing it will continue but could be subject to delays in updates etc for a wee while (Note: this is all conjecture on my behalf).

Tas
Hmmmm.......Lets see now. A rumor about DXO Labs from a rumor site. Now this is credible isn't it? I too use DXO PhotoLab software, lets hope its just that a RUMOR.

Sounds like a darn good way to get photographers to shy away from the best noise reduction software on the planet. Could there be an ulterior motive for this RUMOR?

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 04-22-2018 at 06:17 PM. Reason: additional comment
04-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I am a dxo user and I'd be annoyed if this derails them.
Do you use the "Pro version" with all the plug ins that runs about 200, or 150 USD on sale? I use the basic and it does a pretty good job but they aren't going to get me to drop that much without hearing that it is worth it here, and especially if they may go into receivership.

04-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

It's real
Dxo Labs under reorganization due to financial problems - Personal View Talks
04-23-2018, 03:12 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Making software is a tough thing to do. Yes, 200 dollars is expensive for a software package that edits photos, but it is also expensive to employ a bunch of software engineers to produce such a package that includes the new cameras and lenses on the market. And most people make do with older software for as long as they can.

Clearly this is why Adobe has moved to the subscription model -- guaranteed cash flow regardless of what they release in a given year.
04-23-2018, 03:31 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inability to service debt (pay interest on a loan) Is the usual reason reorganizations happen. It is the debt (and the payments) that gets ‘reorganized’, Whatever DxO paid Google for the free-use Nik Collection, if they borrowed the money then debt service might be the cause. Perhaps certain manufacturers had been making marketing payments to DxO for camera ratings and in the recent dSLR volume contraction ceased making those payments - instant cash flow imbalance. Something like that always seems to happen in these deals.

Now think SmugMug buying Flickr - a free service - from Verizon. What could go wrong?

Last edited by monochrome; 04-23-2018 at 03:36 AM.
04-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not surprising given they shut down their online store a few months ago and now redirect you to their partners for fulfillment. As for their forum, it is clear nobody from the company actively manages it. I love my DxO One. I love DxO PhotoLab software. I hope they can get it together.
04-23-2018, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Now think SmugMug buying Flickr - a free service - from Verizon. What could go wrong?
I'd have to say: A lot.
04-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Do you use the "Pro version" with all the plug ins that runs about 200, or 150 USD on sale? I use the basic and it does a pretty good job but they aren't going to get me to drop that much without hearing that it is worth it here, and especially if they may go into receivership.
I have all of the pro software modules. I really like the software, but I may have to seek alternatives.

The cost has always been interesting, they tended to have severe discounts yearly. This is how I initially provided in and upgrades have been discounted as well.

---------- Post added 04-23-18 at 09:03 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Not surprising given they shut down their online store a few months ago and now redirect you to their partners for fulfillment. As for their forum, it is clear nobody from the company actively manages it. I love my DxO One. I love DxO PhotoLab software. I hope they can get it together.
That's worrisome, I haven't logged on in a while, I used the online store for my purchases.
04-23-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does this mean I should stash a copy of Nik somewhere just in case?

Buying 'free' software in the hope of upgrading it then selling enough copies to make a profit seems a shaky business proposition
04-23-2018, 06:11 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Buying 'free' software in the hope of upgrading it then selling enough copies to make a profit seems a shaky business proposition
Last ditch options are often like that.
04-23-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Forum Member

I am really happy with their software. Hope they will support the K1mk11 before the plug is pulled. Makes me hesitant to upgrade my K1
04-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuij Quote
I am really happy with their software. Hope they will support the K1mk11 before the plug is pulled. Makes me hesitant to upgrade my K1
Where do you see anything that implies the “plug is being pulled”?
04-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Where do you see anything that implies the “plug is being pulled”?
Murphy's law: "If things can go wrong they will go wrong"