Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO was quoted in CanonRumors as saying they hoped customers wouldn't be impacted:
QuoteQuote:
This was sent to a customer of DxO Labs:
Hello sir,
In fact, the company has recently been placed under a regime of judicial administration, the time to reorganize.
Although we can not comment on this situation, we can nevertheless assure you that the company is absolutely not in liquidation and that we are confident that our customers will not be affected by this procedure.

Read more: Industry News: DxO Labs Goes Into Receivership
Note that it's DxO Labs, not DxOMark. And seems a bit optimistic to me; running short of money generally means you've gotta make some changes, like cutting staff, selling assets, whatever. Kinda the whole point. They had responded to my tech support queries recently, so the lights still seem to be on.

Maybe they should sell to Pentax so they can bundle the software with the cameras and dump the junk they currently provide....

04-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure of the detail on DXO Labs' current situation nor the laws in France, but this could simply amount to a kind of bankruptcy protection filing, giving the company an opportunity to restructure whilst under protection from creditors...
04-23-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
DxO was quoted in CanonRumors as saying they hoped customers wouldn't be impacted:

Note that it's DxO Labs, not DxOMark. And seems a bit optimistic to me; running short of money generally means you've gotta make some changes, like cutting staff, selling assets, whatever. Kinda the whole point. They had responded to my tech support queries recently, so the lights still seem to be on.

Maybe they should sell to Pentax so they can bundle the software with the cameras and dump the junk they currently provide....
From the link at CanonRumors:

DxO Labs, “likely the part of the company dealing with the Nik Collection acquired from Google.”

See my comment regarding acquisitions and debt service above. Simple reorganization, with a new payment schedule, some cost reduction and then emergence from Conservatorship. That’s how it works in the US anyway.
04-24-2018, 06:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuij Quote
Murphy's law: "If things can go wrong they will go wrong"
Lots of companies come back from bad situations.

7 Bankrupt Companies That Came Back | Investopedia

So yes, this talk of their demise is pretty premature.

My brother is a Windows fanboy and in the 1990’s he said, and I quote

“Apple is on the ropes.”

04-24-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
“Apple is on the ropes.”
Apple was on the ropes. They were down to their last $Billion, they had way too much inventory, too many models (Performas specifically), too many devices no one wanted (Newton, Pippin, etc), an outdated OS (and replacement that was doomed from the start (Copland)), and a terrible CEO. Then Gil Amelio decided to buy NeXT instead of Be and brought Steve Jobs back into the fold...The thing that really saved Apple was the iPod, and that took a while to catch on.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-24-2018 at 07:15 AM.
04-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Apple was on the ropes. They were down to their last $Billion, they had way too much inventory, too many models (Performas specifically), too many devices no one wanted (Newton, Pippin, etc), and a terrible CEO. Then Gil Amelio decided to buy NeXT instead of Be and brought Steve Jobs back into the fold...The thing that really saved Apple was the iPod, and that took a while to catch on.
Apple was profitable before the iPod.

Apple returned to profitability in 1998, the iPod was introduced in 2001.

But all this does is reinforce my statement that some companies do come back very strongly, like Apple, Marvel, airlines etc.

And of course some don’t.

As I said, talk of DXO death is very premature.
04-24-2018, 07:51 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Apple was profitable before the iPod.

Apple returned to profitability in 1998, the iPod was introduced in 2001.
"Steve Jobs built Apple into a cash generating machine. In 2000, just as Apple was beginning to recover from its 1990s beleaguerment, the company reported just $786 million in net income on revenues of $7.8 billion for the entire fiscal year, and it sat on a "mere" $4 billion in cash.

Additionally, nearly half ($367 million) of Apple's income that year was attributable to selling off portions of its investment in ARM, the mobile chip design it had co-created with Acorn for the Newton Message Pad, resulting in the world's most popular architecture for embedded devices, which would subsequently power the iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iPad and virtually every other smartphone."

Apple was fairly safe from extinction by 2000, but it was the iPod in 2001 (didn't really catch on until the iTunes Store) and the iPhone in 2007 that turned it into a cash machine. Now it's going to be sustained by its services revenue.

<Thread hijack over>

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-24-2018 at 08:05 AM.
04-24-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

DXO is not going well from 2010, they also have at that time a judiciary reorg that was modified in 2015 and again in March 2018
This is in french but the real and only real story is here. DXO is a French company
Redressement judiciaire Dxo Labs à Boulogne-Billancourt (444777577) - ProcedureCollective.fr

redressement judiciaire= Chapter 11 in USA
04-25-2018, 07:51 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dunno.

DxO's software won't work on new cameras, and I bet that's where they generate a lot of new income. All those A7iii owners aren't gonna buy it, and if DxO has to cut back staff to test the raws from that camera (and K-1ii) then they'll fall further behind. I think it will be telling if in the next few months they can keep up with new lenses and bodies. If not, gulp.
04-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I dunno.

DxO's software won't work on new cameras, and I bet that's where they generate a lot of new income. All those A7iii owners aren't gonna buy it, and if DxO has to cut back staff to test the raws from that camera (and K-1ii) then they'll fall further behind. I think it will be telling if in the next few months they can keep up with new lenses and bodies. If not, gulp.
While it won't work on cameras they don't add support, the A7iii is already supported. But there are gaps and if they aren't making upgrades for a while they will fall behind. The K1mkii is not yet supported.

Supported cameras | DxO.com

Honestly the one that makes me sad is that they don't support the K100D or K100D Super raw files.
04-28-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #26
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just in:
Greetings.
On March 7, 2018, DxO Labs chose to file for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection and is now in the process of restructuring the business.

We are very confident that this procedure, which should not last for more than a few more weeks, will not affect our customers in any way. In fact, we are pleased to announce the following upcoming product releases:

• In June, we will release a free update (version 1.2) of our flagship software, DxO PhotoLab. Recently awarded the TIPA 2018 Award for Best Image Processing Software, this latest version of DxO PhotoLab will include improved local correction features, and will add support for 7 cameras, including the Canon EOS 2000D and the Sony A7 III. This release will also be an opportunity for us to reiterate our commitment to the “perpetual license” model (as opposed to a subscription model) that allows our customers to update their products according to their needs, rather than in a constrained manner.
  • In June, we will release the new version of the Nik Software Collection, which DxO acquired from Google at the end of 2017. Much awaited by the Nik software community, this first “by DxO” version focuses on fixing bugs that up until now could disrupt the user experience, as well as on ensuring full compatibility with the latest Mac OS and PC platforms.
Thank you for your understanding and confidence,

The DxO Team

This should make the DXO users a bit happier, info sourced from here: DxO to release Nik Software Collection and DxO PhotoLab updates in June | Photo Rumors

Tas
04-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
In June, we will release a free update (version 1.2) of our flagship software, DxO PhotoLab.
Excellent news!
04-29-2018, 01:19 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
and will add support for 7 cameras, including the Canon EOS 2000D and the Sony A7 III.
I hope that the k1mk2 will be one of the seven.
05-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I hope they stick around.

It is all a bit weird in the wake of buying up Nik and splitting off from DxO Mark. It seems odd because each of those incidents would seem to put them in a tough place. Buying up a software company that had no revenue. I wouldn't think it would be a huge deal if you have the money, but they must know something or have a plan. In terms of their own software, they must know or have an idea of what to expect in terms of sales and profits.

I've been pretty good at buying upgrades when they come around, even though the upgrades have been limited in terms of improvements. It's replaced LR completely for me, and while I try other software to make up for some workflow issues I have with DxO PL, I've not found any software that I can process a single RAW file as quick as I can with DxO software. It's user interface isn't the greatest, but it is customizable, and it's auto features are the best I've found (at least for my K3, K5, and older K10d files and lens combos).

The integration with U-Point and Nik software are something I am enjoying to see grow. I'd love to see what they can do with those programs, especially SilverEfex.

I do pay for the Elite version of the software, and that is mostly for the Prime NR. I don't need any other NR software, so the cost is worth it as a replacement for a separate software.
05-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I hope they stick around.
Me too!

I've been pretty good at buying upgrades when they come around, even though the upgrades have been limited in terms of improvements. It's replaced LR completely for me, and while I try other software to make up for some workflow issues I have with DxO PL, I've not found any software that I can process a single RAW file as quick as I can with DxO software. It's user interface isn't the greatest, but it is customizable, and it's auto features are the best I've found (at least for my K3, K5, and older K10d files and lens combos).
Me too! (K-3 and Panasonic GX-7 for me)

The integration with U-Point and Nik software are something I am enjoying to see grow. I'd love to see what they can do with those programs, especially SilverEfex.
Me too!

I do pay for the Elite version of the software, and that is mostly for the Prime NR. I don't need any other NR software, so the cost is worth it as a replacement for a separate software.
Me too! (Dang this is the me too post!)
I also have their Viewpoint Perspective control and Film Emulation software at the Elite level.

I have recently decided to drop my Adobe Subscription after years of not using it. (Since I found DXO)