Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LR>Plugins>LR>PS>Plugins>LR>Save as a Preset?

Ok, apologies for the confusing subject matter, please allow me to try and explain the question;

I open the RAW file in LR, I apply some basic adjustments before jumping to a LR plugin such as Topaz Clarity. I then make some clarity adjustments (no masking or brush strokes, just basic preset stuff) and then return with that saved to LR. I then further edit the same file in PS (so it's another Edit In>PS launch from LR). I may then use another Topaz plugin from PS and do a similar edit. I then save the edit from PS and can see the final thing in LR.

At this time the RAW file has been edited in two plugins launched from either LR or PS and saved and I'm back in LR with the applied effects, all is good. Now LR can clearly display all the Topaz effects etc applied properly, it's not basically doing anything that LR can't do, it's just a means of getting to that look via a different platform. So I'm wondering if after all these changes are applied and I'm back in LR (basically about to do an Export to Jpg), can I then apply that 'look'/finished file to other future RAW files without needing to revisit these plugins all the time i.e. if I save that 'preset' in LR and then fire up a new RAW file and simply click that saved preset, will it give me the same overall effect as if the file had visited topaz, had the changes applied etc.

Why am I asking this question? I'm just going to try it lol

Peace!

BB

04-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those presets can only save Lightroom adjustments - not edits performed outside Lightroom in plug-ins and other applications.
04-23-2018, 06:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Those presets can only save Lightroom adjustments - not edits performed outside Lightroom in plug-ins and other applications.
Yes it appeared to me that this was occurring on my preset edit saves. Shame... I really like the Topaz plugins but wanted something to get me to a certain look/feel that they have quicker than having to take each image through that process.
04-23-2018, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It might be even worse than you think. I've tried to match up parameters in Lr with parameters from other editors, and only the simplest stuff works. And even then it might matter which ORDER you do them in. Aargh. If I use a bunch of adjustment layers in Ps it seems like an easier way to deal with this than hopping back to Lr though. At least each session is sort of discrete and saved in each layer.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a "reverse engineer" plugin, which when applied to the finished product and raw it could suss out all the parameters that needed changing to achieve that result?