Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

PixelShift compatible software for K-1 II

I have a K-1 II on order, and the handheld Pixel shift is one of the main reasons why I ordered it.

Until now, I have been using Corel Aftershot Pro for catalogging and RAW processing purposes. What I like most about it is how fast it is and how quick one can work on an image and process it in the user interface.

Unfortunately, it doesn't support PixelShift files.

What are people using for PS/DPS files in terms of both raw processing and catalogging apps ?

I don't need the most advanced app necessarily - I prefer something easy to use and quick to processI am not likely to use advanced features or spend tons of time on one image as I am just a hobbyist. But I do need the PS/DPS support.

I know Pentax ships Silkypix DCU, but previous versions never met either the "fast" or "easy to use" requirements. And I don't think it supports catalogging at all.

Pointers would be appreciated.

04-26-2018, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PDCU, the most recent version (5.8.1) available from Ricoh, Japan:

Windows:
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Mac OS:
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
That's all there is until the various vendors reverse engineer Ricoh/Pentax's product. An accepted flow is to process to 16-bit TIFF using PDCU and use those for import into Lightroom or whatever.

Steve
04-26-2018, 07:44 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Keeping the camera in JPEG mode for all PSR files is, IMO, the most painless option. PDCU can do everything the camera can, and AFAIK third-party support is growing but still fairly limited feature-wise.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-26-2018, 10:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The full Silkypix Products handle PS raw development.

04-26-2018, 10:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perhaps the translation from Japanese to English is mangled here, but this thread suggests that even the latest PDCU v5.8.1 cannot handle the new Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution files (yet)?

DCU 5.8.1 and IMAGE Transmitter 2 (2.4.0) update - PentaxForums.com

Somebody with v5.8.1 please confirm or deny.
04-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Perhaps the translation from Japanese to English is mangled here, but this thread suggests that even the latest PDCU v5.8.1 cannot handle the new Dynamic Pixel Shift Resolution files (yet)?

DCU 5.8.1 and IMAGE Transmitter 2 (2.4.0) update - PentaxForums.com

Somebody with v5.8.1 please confirm or deny.
That would seem strange consider the date of the latest PDCU, though such a gaff is not unknown in the photo world.

Edit: However, the revision history at Ricoh Japan is explicit, but suffers from translation:

QuoteQuote:
[New and added items]
<Corresponded by version 5.8.0>

Corresponded to the PENTAX K-1 Mark II

Note: It is not corresponded to the RAW data development that taken with the Image Stabilization mode of Pixel Shift Resolution System II.
The linked page included text from other products, the excerpt above is the new function section for 5.8.1.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2018 at 08:52 AM. Reason: more, better, stuff
04-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hard to tell what's going on with DCU since it's such awful software.

I can run my DPS images through it, and it shows that they're DPS (PS with image stabilization on) and it can process them, but what it's actually doing is a mystery. None of the pixel shift options re motion correction are active, although since it's not really PS that makes sense. The images without any work look pretty much the same as the ones in DNG out of the camera and opened in Lightroom, or RT, and the same as a DNG processed in camera to a JPEG. I don't know if there's any special post processing out there for them other than maybe what one can do with PS in RT (you can see each frame in RT, and export them out, and see a motion mask).

EDIT: One thing that might be going on with Lr and the others at this point is that the software is simply using the first frame. If I was betting maybe that would be my choice. Even a JPEG generated in camera looked a lot like just the first frame on a very crappy shot I took at .5 sec. That might be cuz it just tossed the others due to motion.

Last edited by Oakland Rob; 04-27-2018 at 12:45 PM.