Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Forum Member

Weird K3 Lightroom Import Issue

I've had my K3 for a bit and never noticed this before but on my most recent RAW import (dng raw only, no jpeg) into Lightroom I noticed all of the photos looked super washed out/neautral/somewhat blown out, both on screen and in the Lightroom import previews. When I imported the files though they seemed to come alive and actually looked normal. I've never noticed this before - photos have typically looked exactly like they import both on screen and in the lightroom import preview so I'm wondering if maybe there is a setting I may have messed with that is doing this. Or maybe I'm just going crazy? I'll try to upload an image of what I'm talking about.

I attached a screenshot of how the files look before and after. The before image is how it looks on the K3 LCD also and it's never been like this before - photos have never looked so washed out so I'm not really sure why it's doing this now. Also, I have no develop presets set to load on import so it's not a preset.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Last edited by menappi; 04-29-2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added image
04-29-2018, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by menappi Quote
When I imported the files though they seemed to come alive and actually looked normal. I've never noticed this before - photos have typically looked exactly like they import both on screen and in the lightroom import preview so I'm wondering if maybe there is a setting I may have messed with that is doing this. Or maybe I'm just going crazy? I'll try to upload an image of what I'm talking about.
The initial preview is based on the embedded JPEG packaged with the RAW and that in turn is based on the camera's JPEG settings. The working previews are based on actual RAW processing applied on import. The differences can be striking depending on camera settings and monitor calibration.

Steve
04-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Import with the preview setting: embedded and sidecar
(1st import setting, top right on lightroom)
04-30-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerardbaron Quote
Import with the preview setting: embedded and sidecar
(1st import setting, top right on lightroom)
There are no sidecar files when using DNG raw files. The catalog contains your Develop adjustments unless you have the option selected to write changes to sidecar, in which case the adjustments are contained both in the Catalog and within the DNG file.

Two key points from Adobe's Help:
"Embedded & Sidecar - Display the largest possible preview available from the camera. This option may take longer than a Minimal preview but is still faster than rendering a standard-size preview."

"The Library module retains Embedded Previews until you edit them or you choose to generate other previews".

There is also a setting that directs LR to automatically replace Embedded previews with Standard Previews during idle time.

I suggest that the OP check the Apply During Import dialog to make sure that either no Preset or the desired Preset or Profile is applied during Import. I know that in my case one of the recent updates changed my default.

04-30-2018, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
menappi
You may have accidentally changed the JPEG settings
For example from Landscape to mute or bleach by pass
04-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had my K3 for a bit and never noticed this before but on my most recent RAW import (dng raw only, no jpeg) into Lightroom I noticed all of the photos looked super washed out/neautral/somewhat blown out, both on screen and in the Lightroom import previews. When I imported the files though they seemed to come alive and actually looked normal. I've never noticed this before - photos have typically looked exactly like they import both on screen and in the lightroom import preview so I'm wondering if maybe there is a setting I may have messed with that is doing this. Or maybe I'm just going crazy? I'll try to upload an image of what I'm talking about.

I attached a screenshot of how the files look before and after. The before image is how it looks on the K3 LCD also and it's never been like this before - photos have never looked so washed out so I'm not really sure why it's doing this now. Also, I have no develop presets set to load on import so it's not a preset.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
Have you updated to the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC? I think it is version 7.3,

This new version introduces profiles and there may be an issue with using the standard profile. Look under camera profiles and choose the one that your camera is set to and the photos may show up correctly.

Regards

Chris
05-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone! It ended up being the jpeg setting (which I've never used since I shoot RAW only). My thumb must have goofed on the direcitonal pad and went into those settings (right on the D pad) and set it to the 'muted' setting. Everything seems good! Thanks!

05-01-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you, everyone! It ended up being the jpeg setting (which I've never used since I shoot RAW only). My thumb must have goofed on the direcitonal pad and went into those settings (right on the D pad) and set it to the 'muted' setting. Everything seems good! Thanks!
Glad you got it figured out! The heel of my thumb is also very creative with the 4-way controller.

Steve

(...wish that those changes required a confirmation press on the OK button...)