Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Lightroom develop presets to bring back old Pentax digital colors?

I have and have had several Pentax digital bodies. I often miss my old K100D's colors. That's the first thing I noticed when I got my next body, K-x: the colors felt different. Nowadays I have also other cameras from other brands and still missing K100D's colors.

Have anyone made a develop preset for Lightroom to emulate some of the older Pentax digital cameras' colors? And how big of a job would it be to do it myself? What do I need?

I guess I should do a preset for every camera separately.

And yeah, I know, lens will affect too. And maybe the firmware version. But let's leave them out of this for now.

05-24-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe - DNG Profile Editor : For Windows : DNG Profile Editor 1.0.4
05-24-2018, 08:48 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Try this: Get "that CCD look" with the K-3 / K-3II and Lightroom - PentaxForums.com
05-24-2018, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Big Mack Cam is spot on. I love his preset.

05-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Big Mack Cam is spot on. I love his preset.
Thank you - you're very kind, and I'm so pleased you like it
05-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #6

Original Poster

Thanks!

So I need X-rite ColorChecker Passport or similar product and am ready to start the fun part. (or maybe just a set of colored pencils )
05-24-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by octy Quote
Thanks!

So I need X-rite ColorChecker Passport or similar product and am ready to start the fun part. (or maybe just a set of colored pencils )
It depends. You can just use the preset I provided in that article, if you like (the link for the download is still active). I spent quite a long time developing it, and it's as accurate as I could make it. Prior to my switch away from Lightroom, it's what I used for most of my K-3 and K-3II photos. It also works well for the other CMOS-sensor Pentax models, so it should work with yours just fine, or provide a very good starting point for further tweaking.

If you don't want to download the preset, merely adjust the sliders to the values shown, then save that as your own preset. It'll work just the same

05-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It depends. You can just use the preset I provided in that article, if you like (the link for the download is still active).

Downloaded and tried. Great work!

But: it's for K-3 / K-3 II. I don't have either of them. I have other brand cameras like Olympus and Canon and want to bring the K100D colors to them.

I had K10D in past. I didn't like the color it produces as much as K100D although I think K10D's colors are tuned towards more versatile direction which is a good thing and an improvement. But yeah, when I got K-x, all went to that CMOS weirdness.

I'll try the preset on some of my K-x photos. Thanks!
05-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Downloaded and tried. Great work!

But: it's for K-3 / K-3 II. I don't have either of them. I have other brand cameras like Olympus and Canon and want to bring the K100D colors to them.
Sorry, I missed that part. Having said that, if you're shooting RAW (which you ought to be for this, with respect), many CMOS sensors will give quite similar colours, if not exactly the same. There's a good chance the preset will provide a good starting point

I had K10D in past. I didn't like the color it produces as much as K100D although I think K10D's colors are tuned towards more versatile direction which is a good thing and an improvement.!
There's definitely some difference between the 6MP and 10MP sensors in terms of colour and tone curve (amongst other things), but again the preset should provide a good starting point.

You *could* create your own preset or profile using a colour chart as a reference as I did, but remember that you'll need both the original camera you're trying to emulate, and the new one, so you can take photos of the chart with both. Then, the process I described in that post should get you there, with a bit of work
05-24-2018, 04:13 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
You *could* create your own preset or profile using a colour chart as a reference as I did, but remember that you'll need both the original camera you're trying to emulate, and the new one, so you can take photos of the chart with both. Then, the process I described in that post should get you there, with a bit of work

Yeah, the fun bit of of the work. Bodies, same lens, same lighting condition...

Btw tried your profile on some K-x RAW photos. Damn those blues pop up nicely!
05-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Btw tried your profile on some K-x RAW photos. Damn those blues pop up nicely!
LOL Thanks. Yes, they do... But if there's a weakness in emulating the colour / tone reproduction this way, it's that the darker blues can sometimes be too saturated and/or dark. That's the price for having blue skies appear as they would with the old CCD sensor cameras, instead of the washed-out blue you'd normally get. Depending on the shot, you might choose to back off the saturation, or increase the luminance, of the blues a little. It's not perfect - but it's a good start
09-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hmm, it seems K100D/K110D don't embed picture styles in their PEF files. So I ended up shooting a jpg and trying to match its colours with my Olympus' raw. Damn, this is some time consuming work.