Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2018, 07:37 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
I replaced the hp with an Acer 4k monitor, so I also added a GTX 1050 2GB lowprofile graphic card.
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I don't know what your system is pulling, but the 1050 says it requires a 300W power supply.
GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics Cards | NVIDIA GeForce

At least they recommend 300W. The card itself consumes 75W of the 280W you have available. It also might max temperature at 97C.

QuoteOriginally posted by kamisu Quote
I have not received the psu yet to replace it, but I doubt it is the psu. To check if it is the psu or not, I attached a third monitors to the gpu, so one 4k, one qhd, and one hd, so both psu and gpu are under heavier load, and black out occurs at the same rate. I think if it is the power, another monitor should make it worse, right?
I suggest contacting the maker of your graphics card to determine if they recommend your configuration and form factor (the micro case is a possible concern) for their product. Power, temperature, and display competition for resources are all possible causes.

Steve

(...runs a 650W PS in a mid-size tower...)

06-01-2018, 10:12 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
If it turns out to be temperature (or power) related, another way to also reduce power draw and thereby also temperatures, is to undervolt/underclock the GPU and possibly the CPU (The cpu needs to support this, as well as motherboard and chipset, so not sure if that part is doable in your case).

You will loose some max performance (but when it comes to photo editing gpu performance seems to have a rather small impact), depending on how much you undervolt, but typically the power draw reduction is much greater than performance reduction. (Inventing numbers as an example: A voltage and frequency reduction of 10% might result in a power draw reduction of 30%).

For nvidia GPUS there are lots of programs that can do this, they don't even have to be the right "brand"...I think I use one for MSI cards while having a different brand gpu, as long as it's nvidia.
06-01-2018, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #18

Original Poster
Black out is mentioned in some reviews for the Gigabyte GTX 1050, so I requested a replacement. Today I received it, and also the 600W EVGA BQ psu. Good news, no black outs so far, but since I replaced graphic card and psu at the same time, it is not possible to say which one was the reason for the black outs

Thanks for the replies, Pentaxians are the best.