Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Google is your friend.

Desktop PC for Lightroom - Google Search
05-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) Lightroom likes fast processors. Period. i7 at 4ghz is good or anything in that ball park. This is the most important component, little else makes a significant difference unless you really cheap out on components.

2) SSD for operating system, programs and Lightroom catalog. Regular 7200rpm hard drive for image storage
3) 16gb memory minimum, 32gb if you also have other stuff like photoshop open
4) Graphic card is not currently used much by Lightroom but that is changing. Get a decent one but don't waste money on anything high end

These guys actually do benchmarks on Lightroom and build PC's based on that: Recommended Hardware for Adobe Lightroom Classic CC - Puget Systems

Brand makes little difference these days, just make sure you know what is under the hood.
05-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It is indeed unfortunate that Lightroom barely makes any use of the GPU in modern video cards. All that wasted power.

But if you ever plan/need to switch to another RAW processor (like Capture One or even DxO Photolab), they do make use of GPU acceleration via OpenCL, and it can indeed help speed some operations up.

FWIW: aside from image processing via LR, if you want to do even a little video processing, a newish video card with about 4GB on it will help a lot. Some video editors may even require it.

05-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
switch to another RAW processor (like Capture One or even DxO Photolab)
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
if you want to do even a little video processing, a newish video card with about 4GB on it will help a lot.
These are good points and should be considered when buying a graphics card. Neither is important to me so I generally ignore the GPU but that is just my use case. Also, Adobe has committed to improving the use of the GPU in Lightroom, though how long that will take is anyone's guess.
05-30-2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You should look into PCPartPicker.com they are excellent over there!
Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker Canada
Here is my PC:
SG_Foster's Completed Build - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core, Radeon RX 580 8GB GAMING X, Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker Canada
It's a bit overkill for just Lightroom as I wanted to game on it too.
But it runs Lightroom and Photoshop with ease.
05-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doc 1954 Quote
Hi, looking for advice on a suitable desk top pc for Lightroom Classic
This question is open ended. It depends on the volume of pictures and also whether you are working with time dead line. If you are a casual photographer who edits, say 20 pictures a day, then any PC with Intel i7, 16GB ram is sufficient. If your requirement is that simple then you do not have to worry about Graphics card also. If you already have a PC, use it for LR and see if you hit road block. That will help you define your requirements.