Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Final installment regarding my new second PC...

I now have two identical Crucial DDR3L-1600 8GB UDIMMs installed, one in each of the two available slots. However, it seems that with two UDIMMs installed, the speed drops from 1600MHz to 1333MHz. I initially thought this was a fault with one or both of the cards, but after digging around online it seems it's a limitation of the processor and single channel memory architecture (each card, when installed on its own, shows up as 1600MHz). A bit of a shame, but it shouldn't have too much of an impact on performance.

Running Darktable, I can't honestly say I notice any significant difference in performance whether I have 8GB or 16GB installed... In either configuration, it runs better than I expected, yet not exactly brisk No way is it a full-time photo processing setup, but it's perfectly adequate for occasional RAW, TIFF and JPEG work. Not bad considering it's at the low end of current desktop PC specs

06-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it might be interesting to run top or system monitor>resources to see ram useage during darktable processing
06-13-2018, 04:17 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
it might be interesting to run top or system monitor>resources to see ram useage during darktable processing
With only Darktable running and a 24 megapickle RAW file loaded, total memory utilisation never seems to get much above 3GB. During TIFF export, it peaks at around 5.8GB.

The performance bottleneck certainly isn't memory, but - as you would expect - the low-power quad-core processor, with all four cores maxing out to 100% frequently during heavy operations.

Interestingly, my high-spec i7 laptop shows lower memory utilisation during editing and export operations. Even at peak activity, it never seems to get far above 3GB, and the processor cores rarely max out...
06-13-2018, 04:25 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
8gb would be a minimum, but as you say not the bottleneck. certainly why I like desktop machines, put together the parts as required