Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
veraser

How to make the best "upload/link" image

Hi,

You all well know that new members have some limits defined in The Holy Tenets How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE

I decided to limit my images to 1024x1024 pixels only, all of them from all sources - they look good on my CRT 1600x1200 monitor.

It's not a secret that not all such scaled down images look good. The remedy may be GIMP - free and handy. I use latest version 2.10.2 now.

If you are sure that your snapshot is OK the are only few things you should do to grab attention of other PentaxForums visitors.

I tested the algorithm on attached photo.

1) Unmask (legacy) = 0.7 (radius) / 0.77 (amount) / 25 (threshold)
2) Midtone-Sharp Image then merge with original
3) Contrast = +3
4) Saturation = -3
5) Scale image = 1024 Cubic method

And the last and the most important issue:

6) Unmask (legacy) 0.5/55/15

Ad.4) Contrast increases saturation. If you want to preserve colors, change Saturation level.
Ad.6) A lot of details vanish during scaling down images. Some say it is a Must to finish whole the process with Sharpening.

That's all.

Original image, corrected version (mainly sharpened) with quality 85 (the best ratio quality to filesize) and the smaller one attached here, I placed on Yandex Disk. You'll be able to compare colors/hues and sharpness then. Alas, I still do not have convenient solution for keeping images to which I could point directly. Such note was printed in red in The Holy Tenets:

2. Embed an off-site image
(...)
Important: the link you enter here has to point directly to the image, not to a page containing to the image.

See the How to make the best...

Cheers

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LS80  Photo 

Last edited by veraser; 06-03-2018 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Polishing text
06-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent tutorial and photo...
06-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, that's quite a beauty!!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
veraser

A Study in Color

Thank you guys. Few short tutorials in a making, as there is no universal method (processing sequence) which could be applied nearly to every snapshot.
I work on A Study in Verdure at present.
Cheers

Oh, something like that:

10-22-2020, 05:51 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old post but very useful. Does anyone have recommendations on how to prepare photos for posting directly from Lightroom? I am going to play with some settings today, but am not happy with the lack of sharpness on some photos on the site compared with how they look in LR....