Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
veraser

A Study in Green

Addendum
Sat 09 Jun 2018 12:23:10 PM CEST

A Study in Verdure was changed to A Study in Green were it was possible.
The present system of Attachments, Galleries (categories) and Albums is not transparent enough. I played with my images on these forums and tried solutions aka what I could do best and easy (conveniently). It soon appeared it's not so rosy. What's worse, when I started to post checking "this or that" I thought I'd be able to change the image names and places later.

Alas! We are encapsulated, or nearly totally Matrix-ed! Of course, the validity of the remarks depend on one's point of view.

Cheers!

--
A Study in Verdure is to be never ending story about green subjects, mainly from the Nature itself. I like colors, I like to play with them and it give great pleasure when something emerges from my works with GIMP. All photos published/placed here on this thread are stored in one album on Yandex Disk as well, under the same title A Study in Green

Cheers

P.S. I had to introduce dates. Newest entries will be placed on top of this thread. Every date will be marking new image or a bunch of snapshots.

Addendum
Cracow, Poland, 2018-06-06 10:54 CEST

I've changed my mind. There're real reasons for this. New "greenery" shots will be added in comments.
Cheers

Cracow, Poland, 2018-06-05 17:18 CEST

Aliens in one's garden

I do not know the name of this beautiful plant. The Sun was low, the dark background created space under coniferous trees and the green was tinged with yellow rays. As I do not have polarizing filters to get rid of bright spots on leaves the only tool I might change them was GIMP's Highlights option. What emerged from such processing you may check yourselves opening "the green album".

Details now.

1) Unsharp Mask -> 0.5 / .55 / 25
2) Highlights -> -85.00 (foreground leaves were too soft and first of all too much bright)
3) Contrast -> +3
4) Saturation -> a) Overlap = 100%, b) All = -3
5) Highlights -> -25
6) Scale Image -> to any size (here 1024 x 768)
7) Unsharp Mask -> 0.3 / .033 / 0

The data were put down on a card but whether it is about scaled down image or first original one and then only to the diminished one I'm lost. Sorry.

X posted from my post How to make the best "upload/link" image (this red color is intentional, it will be the leading color of A Study in Red, not Scarlet, I'm not another Conan Doyle or Sherlock Holmes )

Shooting Green Foliage...

This one was published in Users Photo Gallery -> Nature under the same title

How to make them the best? Here you are...

1) Level -> move left triangle to the right to increase tonal range
2) Unsharp Mask -> 0.7 / 0.77 / 25
3) Saturation Yellow -> +11
4) Usharp Mask -> 0.4 / 0.44 / 25
5) Contrast -> +5 (this time do not decrease Saturation -5)
6) Shadows -> +50
7) Unsharp Mask -> 0.2 / 0.44 / 0

Always pay attention to the bright line on edges creating stronger sharpness! You must control them every time. Of course it is You who decides but such sharpened images looks different on different monitors. For example - old LCDs creates sparkles when rendering minute details e.g. hairs with horrible effects. old CRTs are much better and I use it. That's why I sharpen photos to my likes. How do they look like on the modern LCDs (TN, VA, IPS,..) or OLEDs or professional monitors for DTP, I do not know.

Meadow's "lonely heart's club"

Common plant but looks so magnificent! It needs a little work on image only, to look like our eyes and brain want (well, we don't need to be fickle as far as true Nature's color, but oh gosh(!) do not go to the extreme, of course!)

Time for work

1) Level -> move left triangle to the right to increase tonal range
2) Unsharp Mask -> 0.7 / 0.77 / 25
3) Midtone Sharp -> then merge all images
4) Shadows -> -40.0
5) Contrast -> +5
6) Saturation: Red -> +17, Yellow -> +11
7) Shadows -> -60
8) Contrast -> +7
9) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / 0.44 / 25 (control all the time subject edges!)
10) Saturation Green -> -25

Save as corrected original e.g. full size

11) Scale Image -> 1024 x 768 (or whatever you like)
12) Shadows -> +80
13) Blur Tool -> default applied to background
14) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / 0.44 / 15

Last edited by veraser; 06-09-2018 at 03:44 AM. Reason: new option, better grammar and layout, small change
06-06-2018, 02:15 AM   #2
veraser

A Study in Green II

This one shot is bigger than previous ones. 1024 px gained in clarity and details, it sports now "gigantic" 1600 x 1200 px, just like my monitor resolution. At east it fits into forums' limits.

X posted from Pentax User Photo GalleryNatureWalk in a park

Let's see what I had to do to ready it to be published for such accomplished audience.

This time GIMP 2.10.2 options have been changed a little.

1) Highlights -> -30
2) Unsharp Mask -> 1.0 / .0.55 / 25
3) Contrast -> +3 (didn't balanced by Saturation -x)
4) Shadows -> +35
5) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / .0.44 / 25
6) Scale Image -> 1600 x 1200
7) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / .0.44 / 25

Traditional all three versions (or more) of original photo were placed in Yandex Disk also, under the same title of the series - A Study in Green.

BTW Moving to the Nature page with my image, do not forget click the picture - you'll see 1600 x 1200 image with all its beauty. I know I'm not modest guy, but I like the snapshot much.

Cheers

Last edited by veraser; 06-09-2018 at 03:06 AM.
06-06-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
veraser

A Study in Green III

It slowly emerges what I'm interesting in photographing mostly - colors (via flowers but not only) and Nature. No more animals, pets, vermin, worms, flies and everything crawling, flying or swimming/floating less in size then Yamato battleship or battlecruiser Pyotr Velikiy. OK, I stop here except one - no more(!) artificial, stupid, primitive and vulgar mostly of the 3(4)745 woman's positions administered by all sort of freaks, pardon, photo coaches and all sorts of "professionals" in thousands of books, magazines and websites... Period!

Let's come back from Earthly clouds or Earthly grounds to Pandora's Environment.

Ooops! Where are the GIMP commands? I'm tired probably...

1) Unsharp Mask -> 0.5 / 0.55 / 25
2) Level -> White level -> 245
3) Saturation Yellow -> +7

4) Scale Image -> 1200 x 1600
5) Unsharp Mask -> 0.4 / 0.44 / 25

Search for all versions in Yandex Disk album, under the same title of the series - A Study in Green.

BTW. I've corrected my error concerning the album - I've forgotten to place two sets of GIMP-ed snapshots. Mea culpa!

Last edited by veraser; 06-09-2018 at 03:08 AM.