Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Monitor Calibration, Colormunki Display versus Spyder5 Pro

I've come to the conclusion that I might need to color calibrate my laptop display screen. I've been reading about the two mid level calibration devices, Colormunki Display and Spyder5 Pro. Not sure which one to buy and need some input from Forum users of these devices. Both seem very similar in use but the software for both is a bit limited so I'm leaning toward DisplayCal as a software choice.

Larry

06-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Colormunki Display and can say that it works great for me. Quick and easy calibration...prints have been spot on since (when using a profiled printer) and it's well built. I read a few poor reviews about the reliability of the Spyder so I swerved that. I use Permajet papers and they will profile your printer free of charge for their papers, but if I intended to use other papers I would have gone for the Photo version.
06-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Both seem very similar in use but the software for both is a bit limited so I'm leaning toward DisplayCal as a software choice.
I use the Spyder5. I did use it with the suplied software, I now use it with the software supplied by my monitor manufacturer.

Why do you think it is limited ?
06-05-2018, 12:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are there any usable free options out there?

06-05-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I have the Colormunki Display and can say that it works great for me. Quick and easy calibration...prints have been spot on since (when using a profiled printer) and it's well built. I read a few poor reviews about the reliability of the Spyder so I swerved that. I use Permajet papers and they will profile your printer free of charge for their papers, but if I intended to use other papers I would have gone for the Photo version.
I've read that the calibrations is pretty quick with the supplied software. have you tried the DisplayCal software with the Display? My budget will not let me get the Colormunki Photo at 459 USD.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 03:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I use the Spyder5. I did use it with the suplied software, I now use it with the software supplied by my monitor manufacturer.

Why do you think it is limited ?
Its my understanding that its limited by the software version you own. You still have to have the hardware (ie the Reader). There are open source apps available that work with the hardware, I'm reading a bit more about DisplayCal which will work with all Spyder5 versions or the Colormunki Smile or the Colormunki Display. From what I have read DataColor uses the same reader for all their solutions from the Express through the Pro to the Elite so the only difference is the software. X-Rite on the other hand uses the same reader on their two top end models and a different reader on their lower end Smile so I plan to buy the midrange Colormunki Display. its my understanding that each software version from both companies has more features included as the price increases. DisplayCal has similar features as the top end software and is open source.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 04:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I haven't found any since you have to have some sort of reader for any calibration system to function.
Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-05-2018 at 01:58 PM.
06-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Its my understanding that its limited by the software version you own
Yes you can upgrade the software direct from Spyder5, for a fee of course. But the Spyder Pro had all the features I needed.
06-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes you can upgrade the software direct from Spyder5, for a fee of course. But the Spyder Pro had all the features I needed.
So I take it that you haven't tried any other calibration software with the Spyder5 Pro. I initially considered the 5 Pro but the Colormunki Display has a pretty good offer on it till the end of June. There is probably minimal difference between them but the folks at DisplayCal indicated that the Display was a bit more accurate.
Larry

06-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I’m using the Colormunki Smile with DisplayCal for 1.5 years now and I’m very pleased with the results (best bang for the buck solution for me).

For creating the profiles DisplayCal I follow the simple instructions provided in

Best regards,
06-05-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
If you have a Mac, under System Preferences -> Displays -> Color, there is a Calibrate button that leads you through color adjustments with visual aids to assist you, and this will create a color profile for your settings. This works pretty well, and definitely better than no calibration at all. Maybe Windows has a similar process, can anyone report on that?
06-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
I’m using the Colormunki Smile with DisplayCal for 1.5 years now and I’m very pleased with the results (best bang for the buck solution for me).

For creating the profiles DisplayCal I follow the simple instructions provided in How to Color Calibrate Your monitor! (DisplayCAL & Color Munki Smile) - YouTube.

Best regards,
Thanks, I plan to use the DisplayCal software when and If I buy the Colormunki Display.

---------- Post added 06-05-18 at 09:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you have a Mac, under System Preferences -> Displays -> Color, there is a Calibrate button that leads you through color adjustments with visual aids to assist you, and this will create a color profile for your settings. This works pretty well, and definitely better than no calibration at all. Maybe Windows has a similar process, can anyone report on that?
I've done the same thing with my windows laptop and truthfully I think the colors look OK but there are lingering doubts so I'm going to make sure. I use a little windows program called Monitor Calibration Wizard right now. Something I didn't know is that it is recommended by the DataColor and X-rite to calibrate your monitor at least every three months.
Larry
06-06-2018, 01:39 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I take it that you haven't tried any other calibration software with the Spyder5 Pro.
I now use Color Navigator software which comes with my Eizo monitor. It works with the Spyder hardware.
06-06-2018, 05:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
If you have a Mac, under System Preferences -> Displays -> Color, there is a Calibrate button that leads you through color adjustments with visual aids to assist you, and this will create a color profile for your settings.....
Note that in recent Mac OS, you need to hold the Option key down before clicking Calibrate if you want the more detailed process.
06-06-2018, 06:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've done the same thing with my windows laptop and truthfully I think the colors look OK but there are lingering doubts so I'm going to make sure.
I always used the same thing...by eye, with the colour and mono swatches trying to make so and so 'just visible' and whatnot...once I did a proper calibration the colours and in particular the brightness and gamma were noticeably different and the resulting prints much more accurate. The ambient light measurement is particularly useful as I mostly work in the evening in a fairly dark room but occasionally I do it in the day...the Colormunki automatically adjusts the brightness and gamma for the conditions (if you set it to do so).
06-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I always used the same thing...by eye, with the colour and mono swatches trying to make so and so 'just visible' and whatnot...once I did a proper calibration the colours and in particular the brightness and gamma were noticeably different and the resulting prints much more accurate. The ambient light measurement is particularly useful as I mostly work in the evening in a fairly dark room but occasionally I do it in the day...the Colormunki automatically adjusts the brightness and gamma for the conditions (if you set it to do so).
Thanks Victor,

I have made my decision regarding which calibration system I'm going to use. I'm buying the Colormunki Display, I'll try the Colormunki Software first then if I'm not satisfied it will be Display Cal.

Larry
06-09-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Colormunki Display versus Spyder5 Pro
Just before you do that... have or did you consider the x-rite i1 Display Pro reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database as it's IMHO a cracking bit of kit.