Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,428
IE is dead, feature and support-wise, so this isn't surprising.

I'm a fan of Firefox, personally. The recent "quantum" update really sped things up and the add-ons is really nice.

But it really doesn't matter which browser your choose, as long as it's standards-compliant.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,756
Developers are forever coming up with little widgets and controls for their websites but don't bother for the money they're being paid to check compatibility against every browser, so they try to 'pick horses in the race'.

Ignoring boring but well-established browsers for newer trendier ones is risky, IMHO.
06-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #18
Pentaxian
amoringello's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,562
Firefox has improved a lot. Their latest versions is much faster and much more more memory efficient.
If you haven't used it in a while, it may be worth your time and effort giving it a go.

BUT... MSIE always has been and still is a huge security risk as well as a resource hog and just all around poorly written slog of a program.
There's a reason Microsoft created Edge, supposedly as a complete re-write form the ground up, and of nor surprise that websites are abandoning it for newer and better products.

I'm not against Chrome or Safari. I use Safari, Firefox and Chrome about equally at home and work.
(I sort of have to for work, but we're not even allowed to use MSIE due to security issues.)
06-06-2018, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #19
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,018
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Developers are forever coming up with little widgets and controls for their websites but don't bother for the money they're being paid to check compatibility against every browser, so they try to 'pick horses in the race'.

Ignoring boring but well-established browsers for newer trendier ones is risky, IMHO.


Yes, obsoleting things by eliminating support is running rampant.


I bought a Dodge Ram Dually with the Cummins engine brand new in 2001.


I'm having trouble getting parts now. A switch on the steering wheel for the radio broke. The dealer said they no longer stocked it, and if they could get it the price would be around $75 (it was $19 a year earlier). I did find one on the innerwebs, at about $50.


The dealer told me that for vehicles more than 15 years old the manufacturers are no longer providing support.


And now the computer hardware and software companies are obsoleting systems and applications to sell their latest and (not so) greatest wares.

06-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,905
I never really liked IE, used Firefox for years but switched to Chrome a couple years ago. Absolutely no problems with Flickr. I may have to try Firefox a little more, maybe they fixed the issues that made me abandon it. I actually have Chrome, Firefox, and Edge because some websites can have problems with any of them.
06-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,756
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I never really liked IE, used Firefox for years but switched to Chrome a couple years ago. Absolutely no problems with Flickr. I may have to try Firefox a little more, maybe they fixed the issues that made me abandon it. I actually have Chrome, Firefox, and Edge because some websites can have problems with any of them.
As a Systems Engineer, I have IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox on my laptop to cover nearly all bases. Lots of little incompatibilities on different sites with different functions can be overcome.

Many times a developer can't or won't fix a bug.

One of my sites has a legacy PABX where the 'Backup' button on its administration web page is broken because it uses some Java function that was dropped many, many versions ago.

I've explained to the site bosses that if there's a power surge they could lose all their phones with nothing to restore from, but a new system requires money they don't have at the moment.
06-06-2018, 05:38 PM   #22
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,018
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
As a Systems Engineer, I have IE, Edge, Chrome and Firefox on my laptop to cover nearly all bases. Lots of little incompatibilities on different sites with different functions can be overcome.

Many times a developer can't or won't fix a bug.

One of my sites has a legacy PABX where the 'Backup' button on its administration web page is broken because it uses some Java function that was dropped many, many versions ago.

I've explained to the site bosses that if there's a power surge they could lose all their phones with nothing to restore from, but a new system requires money they don't have at the moment.

Reminds me.

Java.

Flash.

Both insipid little apps that once you add them they take over, pestering you every couple days to "update now!". Occasionally they want you to let them install a new version of themselves.

So those are two things that I have chosen to not add, and consequently I am not spending time fiddling with them.

Fiddling.

I spent more time fiddling with that stuff, and trying to keep WinBlows up to date than I did working or browsing.

Since I reloaded everything and disabled the continual needy "update me now, I beg you" pestering of the software and hardware bits I have actually been getting along quite well. I've probably edited more images since then that I have since I started shooting digital.
06-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
david94903's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Rafael, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 549
I was getting the same message.I converted over to Firefox. It's much improved from older versions. Doesn't eat memory the way Chrome does. Firefox has been a good solution for Flickr.

06-06-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,756
QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I was getting the same message.I converted over to Firefox. It's much improved from older versions. Doesn't eat memory the way Chrome does. Firefox has been a good solution for Flickr.
There was a time when it was even worse than Chrome, but of course, software gets rewritten.

I find that when I move between work sites, if I leave tabs in Chrome open, the memory gets eaten up as if all the background ad-serving and other relayed info back to the content providers has been interrupted and new threads have to be opened up, with the old ones hanging. Over days, it can send my machine grinding to a halt. I now close Chrome if I can when finished.

Websites have gotten faster by not using client-side Java, browsers have benefited from not using Adobe's Flash plugin but using their own for rendering, and ad blockers help us too, although Adam won't want to hear that.
06-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #25
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,018
Original Poster
A couple here have mentioned Opera. When I looked at it before I didn't see that it was available for WinBlows, but as a result of comments here I took a second look.

Downloaded and installed version 53 and so far it is working well, and consuming a tiny amount of available resources. No fuss with Flickr yet either.

Woot!

Woot!
06-06-2018, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 12,756
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A couple here have mentioned Opera. When I looked at it before I didn't see that it was available for WinBlows, but as a result of comments here I took a second look.

Downloaded and installed version 53 and so far it is working well, and consuming a tiny amount of available resources. No fuss with Flickr yet either.

Woot!

Woot!
Good to hear.

Historically, they introduced features we take for granted like tabs and incognito mode.

They failed to make money and after ownership changes are now almost a reskinned Chrome.

They have about two percent of the desktop browser marketshare, but that's about Pentax's slice of the DSLR pie, too!
06-06-2018, 07:07 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian
ChatMechant's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 997
I've always assumed the reason IE existed was to enable us to download Firefox.

Haven't noticed a hiccup with flickr since the smugmug thing on windows or android, but I'm on win10 and the latest firefox.
06-06-2018, 07:11 PM   #28
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,659
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Reminds me.

Java.

Flash.

Both insipid little apps that once you add them they take over, pestering you every couple days to "update now!". Occasionally they want you to let them install a new version of themselves.

So those are two things that I have chosen to not add, and consequently I am not spending time fiddling with them.

Fiddling.

I spent more time fiddling with that stuff, and trying to keep WinBlows up to date than I did working or browsing.

Since I reloaded everything and disabled the continual needy "update me now, I beg you" pestering of the software and hardware bits I have actually been getting along quite well. I've probably edited more images since then that I have since I started shooting digital.
I'm not sure it is correct to refer to Java and Flash as 'apps' - they are tools used to develop 'apps' just as English is used to develop written directions to your home. The problem with not updating them is that the current version you have may contain a defect which can be exploited by someone wanting to sneak into your computer system from the Internet {many of the updates are "security updates" plugging 'holes' like that}

---------- Post added 06-06-18 at 10:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So lately Flickr has been nagging me to use Chrome or some 'newer' browser. Seems that Internet Exploder 11 just ain't cool anymore.


It finally went into a weird mode yesterday where all I see are my photos, but the sharing and editing tools are gone, and there are no hyperlinks to the next image, etc.


Please don't tell me to try Chrome, or Microsoft Edge. I tried and there is never a link to a version compatible with WIndows 7 Pro, because they want you to move to WinBlows 10.


I'm not moving to 10, 7 is working perfect, thank you. I have better things to spend my money on, like cameras, cars and Mrs. Racer.


I had stayed away from Firefox, as it had started using up huge processor and memory percentages (like 80% or more), and I ultimately had to reinstall the OS and all my software. I've left the fresh installation just past the initial install point, with only having installed the updates needed to get everything operating perfectly.


Frozen in the time where all is good.


So, after the latest problems with Flickr, and browsers, I dud around and found an older version of Firefox on a thumb drive in my desk, and installed it. I am using it only for Flickr, and it appears to be doing that well. It does use about twice the resources that Internet Exploder does, but is it staying on the low side of the range where resource and memory use is concerned.
I basically agree with you here. I refused to install Win10 on our computer - and then the motherboard on our computer failed. I refused to purchase a new Win10 computer, so our daughter and her fiance put together a computer for us using the motherboard and case from his previous gaming computer, memory, mouse, and keyboard from our old computer, and a new disc drive. So the computer I'm typing this from is a Linux computer running Firefox.

Last edited by reh321; 06-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.
06-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,018
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm not sure it is correct to refer to Java and Flash as 'apps' - they are tools used to develop 'apps' just as English is used to develop written directions to your home. The problem with not updating them is that the current version you have may contain a defect which can be exploited by someone wanting to sneak into your computer system from the Internet {many of the updates are "security updates" plugging 'holes' like that}
Well whatever they are, I have been getting along just fine without them.

And they may have been part of the unraveling that brought my machine to its knees and forced a clean sweep.
06-06-2018, 07:22 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,307
I’ve used Firefox for years. IE was just a means for me to download it. Now I’m forced to use Edge (I can’t stand it) or IE at work. Edge does not work well with our pdfs, and everything we do is a pdf. And it doesn’t work well with our printers.

Now, all my personal computers run Linux, and everything runs so much smoother. I have one dual boot with windows for my scanner.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
chrome, computer, drive, firefox, flash, flickr, internet, memory, photography, photoshop, time, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More, more, more light!!! Grig Monthly Photo Contests 5 01-10-2018 02:21 AM
K20 Frustrations kentster Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 08-04-2015 06:50 PM
Digital frustrations in dust form...... Jetsam1 Photographic Technique 7 08-05-2011 07:13 AM
Post Processing Beginner's frustrations pa79 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 05-27-2009 10:20 AM
Frustrations with Sigma Flashes qquake2k Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 01-02-2009 06:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top