Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest Firefox. Although I use Chrome and have no issues in general.

06-07-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Historically, they introduced features we take for granted like tabs and incognito mode.
Yes, I remember when Opera was a rising star and yes, most of its stand-out features were adopted by the other browsers.

Steve
06-07-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Right, IE was never cool (coming from a web developer).

But cool isn't that important if it works. But as you point out, it sounds like it isn't really working.
I think windows 10 is the best Windows yet in terms of performance and stability and even though the official free upgrade period is over, you can still get it free with a valid license.

If you can't bring yourself to do that then I'll jump on the Firefox bandwagon. It's pretty good for most things and kept current by Mozilla.

Also, Flickr is regularly wonky on just about any browser from what I can tell. I'm hoping Smugmug will fix it!

Last edited by mattb123; 06-07-2018 at 11:00 AM.
06-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
*snip*

I think windows 10 is the best Windows yet in terms of performance and stability and even though the official free upgrade period is over, you can still get it free with a valid license.
I can't stand how in the Home version you can't decide when to update... my mother's tablet is unusable for a good hour everytime "it" decides it's time to update... which is quite often by the way.
This is of course without paying heed to the fact that she needs it or not

06-07-2018, 01:17 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I can't stand how in the Home version you can't decide when to update... my mother's tablet is unusable for a good hour everytime "it" decides it's time to update... which is quite often by the way.
This is of course without paying heed to the fact that she needs it or not
That sounds annoying. I didn't realize Home did that. I have Pro or Enterprise versions which let you schedule updates.

The matter of needing an update is complex because you may not know you need it but maybe you really do. Security flaws that could prevent your PC getting swept up in a bot army and used for denial of service attacks come to mind. Although I'm sure there are less urgent updates pushed in as well.
They should still let you schedule updates on Home.
06-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

That sounds annoying. I didn't realize Home did that. I have Pro or Enterprise versions which let you schedule updates.

The matter of needing an update is complex because you may not know you need it but maybe you really do. Security flaws that could prevent your PC getting swept up in a bot army and used for denial of service attacks come to mind. Although I'm sure there are less urgent updates pushed in as well.
Yup, there's no group policy editor (gpedit.msc) there. You can delay them, but only for a set time. Then one wrong click because you were in a hurry and off he goes!
I know there's a hack to add gpedit to home versions as well, but had a quick stab on my 8.1 and couldn't get it to work. Will probably be more thorough and try again some time in the future.
06-07-2018, 01:32 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
There was a time when it was even worse than Chrome, but of course, software gets rewritten.
Which is ironic because Firefox was written to remove the bloat from Mozilla...

When Apple released Safari 1.0 it used KHTML because it was lighter than Gecko used in Firefox. Then they forked the project and started WebKit. Which was chosen by Google to power Chrome...

06-07-2018, 01:51 PM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Which is ironic because Firefox was written to remove the bloat from Mozilla...

When Apple released Safari 1.0 it used KHTML because it was lighter than Gecko used in Firefox. Then they forked the project and started WebKit. Which was chosen by Google to power Chrome...
Situation's not simple on the Micro$oft side, either.

IE is built on the Trident rendering engine and has the biggest compatibility with a decade's worth of legacy developer methods. Edge is fast and minimalist, based on the new Spartan engine.

Win 10's choice? Include both, let the user decide.

At the biggest organization I contract to, I setup users with whatever browser they like - G-Suite people really should use Chrome - but I setup a shortcut to launch the line-of-business app in IE.

Last edited by clackers; 06-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.
06-07-2018, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yup, there's no group policy editor (gpedit.msc) there. You can delay them, but only for a set time. Then one wrong click because you were in a hurry and off he goes!
I know there's a hack to add gpedit to home versions as well, but had a quick stab on my 8.1 and couldn't get it to work. Will probably be more thorough and try again some time in the future.
Don't know if this works in Home edition but you can give it a try:

QuoteQuote:
No more forced updates

This will notify when updates are available, and you decide when to install them
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f
Windows 10 Privacy Guide - Spring Creators Update - Federico Dossena
Note warnings that some changes can't be undone or if you botch something re-installing the OS may be the only option.
06-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
*snip*

Note warnings that some changes can't be undone or if you botch something re-installing the OS may be the only option.
Thanks! a reassuring caveat, I'll say!
06-07-2018, 03:39 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think if you have a full image backup you should be able to undo just about anything (except a destroyed backup).
06-07-2018, 06:56 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flickr is working with IE11 for me this evening. I can navigate and open images again.

Fred.
06-09-2018, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #43
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
and Mrs. Racer
That should definitely by described as loose talking... I sincerely hope Lady Kerrowdown doesn't read that and get ideas.
06-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My pro lets me state preference for updates, but good luck at avoiding feature and interface changes. On this latest version I lost right click menu access to the control panel. Apparently "pro" users should not be messing with stuff like that.

Steve
06-09-2018, 12:54 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My pro lets me state preference for updates, but good luck at avoiding feature and interface changes. On this latest version I lost right click menu access to the control panel. Apparently "pro" users should not be messing with stuff like that.

Steve
Of course! real pros use the command line!