Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 11:01 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Just Released $49.99 New/Improved Version Of NIK Collection Is A Rip Off!

I've used the NIK Collection of plugins with my stand alone versions of PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements for years now. I really like them, and up until now, they've been free.

I also like the Topaz plugins, but they cost money of course.

But from now until the end of June, the just-released new/improved version of the NIK Collection will cost 49.99 USD - then after July 1 the cost will go up to $69 USD.

I thought I'd give this new and improved version of the NIK Collection a try - so I downloaded the 30-day free trial version of this new update.

I noticed that the new version download file was about 150MB smaller than the older free version. Strange, why would the more robust/newer version be quite a bit smaller in size than the older version? Shouldn't "new and improved" be a larger file size?

I then uploaded the new trial version to my PC computer. Well, to my disappointment, my old version completely disappeared (along with my presets, recipes, and favorites).

Then I tried out the new NIK Collection on some images. To my surprise, there was absolutely NO CHANGE in either the way any of the plugins looked or functioned!

So, you might want to save yourself the $49.99 and just keep using your old free version of the NIK Collection - that's what I'm going to do. The only advantage I can see to buying the new version is that you will receive future updates at a discounted price. But given that the parent company that owns the NIK Collection recently filed for bankruptcy, I wonder if there ever will be any substantial future updates.

I had sincerely hoped that the NIK Collection would be further developed and improved under its' new ownership. I absolutely love NIK's U-Point technology! But, based upon my limited experience with the "new and improved" version of the NIK Collection, it seems to me that the new owners either don't have the will or the resources to continue development of the NIK Collection.

This just might be the time to switch over to the comparable Topaz suite of plugins. Do I remember correctly that they can be purchased using a link on this forum???

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-06-2018 at 11:27 PM.
06-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Too bad about the nik collection.
Topaz has heavy discounts a few times a year. Not sure when. I pick up some every other time they do.
06-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Might be a good time for people who are allowing Google Update to run on their computers to disable it. The free Nik Collection installs it if you didn't have it already, and I wouldn't it put it past them to break the free version under the disguise of an update.
06-07-2018, 02:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought Nik, back when it was software that required purchase. I want to say it was 99 dollars. The fact that Google purchased it and then gave it away didn't mean that it didn't cost something to make it and if DXO is going to update it over time, they probably need some funds to do so (sounds like they are hurting a bit financially).

It doesn't surprise me that they are charging for it now (even with minimal changes). I don't really want pay for it again though. My understanding when I purchased it was that it had a lifetime of updates with it and I'm pretty pleased with it as is.

06-07-2018, 03:10 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Apparently, the new release addresses some instability issues (though I never noticed any when I was using the Google version), as well as ensuring operability with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop and Elements. There are indeed no functional changes in this first new release.

As for the size of the code, the reduction most likely suggests there's been some standardisation and sharing of processes between modules that previously used different but functionally-similar code.
06-07-2018, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...even Publio Virgilio Marone used to say "Timeo DxOs et dona ferentes"
06-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Try to set your pc back to a system restore point from before you installed the update.

06-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Apparently, the new release addresses some operability with the latest versions of Adobe Photoshop and Elements.
For your information I am using the latest version of Adobe PS Elements (version 2018).

I had no prior "instability issues" using the old/free version of NIK on Adobe PS Elements 2018.
06-07-2018, 06:52 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
For your information I am using the latest version of Adobe PS Elements (version 2018).
I had no prior "instability issues" using the old/free version of NIK on Adobe PS Elements 2018.
There are certainly reports of issues with Google Nik Collection and recent Adobe software versions if you look for them on the web. I suppose we can only take DxO at their word that they've addressed some issues that others have experienced. They've clearly done something if the code size has changed. But for anyone who hasn't experienced problems, it sounds as if purchasing the new version isn't worthwhile.

The only other comment I'd make is that I bought the Nik collection before it became a free download from Google, and I paid a lot more than $49 for it (about twice that, if I remember correctly!). At this price, for those who don't have a copy of the free download, it's good value for such comprehensive functionality. But perhaps not as an upgrade
06-07-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There are certainly reports of issues with Google Nik Collection and recent Adobe software versions if you look for them on the web. I suppose we can only take DxO at their word that they've addressed some issues that others have experienced. They've clearly done something if the code size has changed. But for anyone who hasn't experienced problems, it sounds as if purchasing the new version isn't worthwhile.

The only other comment I'd make is that I bought the Nik collection before it became a free download from Google, and I paid a lot more than $49 for it (about twice that, if I remember correctly!). At this price, for those who don't have a copy of the free download, it's good value for such comprehensive functionality. But perhaps not as an upgrade
Originally (as with Topaz) you had to buy each part of the software separately, but when they offered the whole Suite for 99 dollars, I jumped on it.

The problem is (generally speaking) that it is hard to take something from freeware to charging for it. Google bought it to build Snapseed, I think and then sort of offered the whole thing for free, but didn't really upgrade capabilities. If DXO does upgrade capabilities over time, then it is reasonable for them to charge for that. Few companies have the R and D budget of Google to throw away on frivolous side projects and I'm sure DXO paid enough for Nik Effects that now they need to monetize it in some way.
06-07-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smaller program size doesn't necessarily mean less functionality. It could be the result of code optimization.
06-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've also noticed the following on DxO's website:

"Nik Software’s U Point technology is fully integrated into DxO PhotoLab’s non-destructive workflow. This feature lets you make complex selections in just a few clicks and edit specific areas in your images, so you can apply local adjustments in a simple and intuitive manner."

It's possible that this latest version of Nik is required to support the full integration with PhotoLab...
06-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just went to the NIK website again. It says "The Selective Brush tool is now fully operational". Please note that with the old version, the selective brush tool worked for me in PHotoShop, but it never worked for me in Elements.

Last night when I tested the new version of NIK, the selective brush tool would not work. Maybe the new version's selective brush tool still does not work in "Elements". I've asked NIK about this, and submitted a ticket (my second one). I'll let everyone know if and when NIK customer service gets back to me on this.

If I can get the selective brush tool to work in Elements, I'd happily pay the $49.99 for the new version of NIK Collection.
06-07-2018, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Chances are the reason that the file is overall smaller means that they streamlined everything with their own stuff (codes, tech, etc.). And the fact the it's one price (which is set at a pretty good price) for everything in the whole suite seems to be a good indicator that it's going to get updates for the forseeable future.
06-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting that you're being offered it for $49.99; the introductory price in Oz is Euro 49.99 (approx. US$59) - for downloaded copy!