Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 12:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Interesting that you're being offered it for $49.99; the introductory price in Oz is Euro 49.99 (approx. US$59) - for downloaded copy!
...since when Australia adopted the Euro?

06-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think way back, the software was close to $250 for the whole suite. When Google bought it, they cut the price down to the $100 range. Then they chose to stop any development of the software and give it away for free.

DxO just bought it last fall/winter. I would hardly have expected them to do much to advance the software, and it has been many years since the code was last updated.

I suspect, DxO's big effort was in streamlining the code and bringing it up to modern standards. Streamlining it probably speeds the program up a bit (maybe negligible unless you have a slower computer), probably makes it 64-bit compliant, and probably eliminates a lot of deprecated code while perhaps making efficient use of it. For instance, the software was more about each software being sold independently. Consequently, each program may have had the same code in certain places, where now DxO has removed the redundant use of code... I'm just speculating.

I will likely buy the software because I want to support the company and further development of the PhotoLab and Nik collection. I am hoping success of the software will keep the company going (fully recognizing that they are bankrupt and potentially a goner). The software is generally better than free software, and I've never paid for it before and don't mind now knowing I've already gotten by $49 worth of value out of it historically.
06-09-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought of buying it, but I'm reluctant to without a clearer indication of where DxO is headed with Nik, and not only for Nik's former products but also Photolab (for me it's an upgrade cost, having bought Nik years ago). Will Nik stuff besides u-point selection be integrated into Photolab? will you be able to send RAW to Nik plugins? Apparently they've added "Open..." menus so you can use them standalone, but otherwise there isn't much integration with Photolab that I've seen. And having used Nik for a long time I dunno...everything else seems to have caught up and/or passed them. I still like Silver Efex, but I'm finding with the new profiles in Lr I can get some similar results faster.
06-12-2018, 06:47 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I finally received a response to my question from NIK Customer Service -

My question was - "I am running a 64-bit PC with PhotoShop Elements 2018. I currently have the free version of NIK collection embedded in Elements. I am only able to use the NIK collection plug-ins on 8-bit images if I want to use separate layers and layer masks. If I buy the new version of the NIK collection, will I be able to run layer masks on 16 bit images?"

Their answer was - "The current version of Nik Collection 2018 is very similar to the previous version of the Nik Collection and has the same capabilities. We will be happy to pass along your interest in this capability to our development team for their consideration. A suggestion on your behalf will be automatically created and sent to the developers once this ticket is closed."

06-12-2018, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I finally received a response to my question from NIK Customer Service -

My question was - "I am running a 64-bit PC with PhotoShop Elements 2018. I currently have the free version of NIK collection embedded in Elements. I am only able to use the NIK collection plug-ins on 8-bit images if I want to use separate layers and layer masks. If I buy the new version of the NIK collection, will I be able to run layer masks on 16 bit images?"

Their answer was - "The current version of Nik Collection 2018 is very similar to the previous version of the Nik Collection and has the same capabilities. We will be happy to pass along your interest in this capability to our development team for their consideration. A suggestion on your behalf will be automatically created and sent to the developers once this ticket is closed."
Translation "We just put a price tag on it!"
06-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't it the case that the free version only works on a 32-bit operating system and the new version is upgradet to work on a 64-bit OS? I did buy the new version and every app is 64-bit now.
06-12-2018, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Isn't it the case that the free version only works on a 32-bit operating system and the new version is upgradet to work on a 64-bit OS? I did buy the new version and every app is 64-bit now.
When I was still running Windows 10, it was on a 64-bit system and Nik ran with no problems at all. In fact, I don't think I ever ran it on a 32-bit CPU or OS...

06-12-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All that I can say is that I have a 64 bit system and use the free collection.
06-12-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

32bit software runs on 64bit. It just can't get more than 4GB of memory assigned to it. Windows puts 32 bits software in a separate program files folder. (Program Files (x86).
06-12-2018, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
All that I can say is that I have a 64 bit system and use the free collection.
Same here. No problems.
06-12-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks everybody! I did not know that.
06-12-2018, 12:09 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

On a 64 bit machine the old free version of Nik Collection installs in Windows 10 by default on the programs folder (where the 64 bit programs are installed) and not in the programs (x86) (where the 32 bit programs are installed).

Checking the installation itself, one can see that it installs for each plug-in the 32 bit files and a folder with the same name plus (64-Bit) with the same number of files (and same name) who are the 64 bit version.

Example, for Silver Efex Pro 2, it is:
Programs\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf, Silver Efex Pro 2.exe
Programs\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf, Silver Efex Pro 2.exe

Last edited by ddharriman; 06-12-2018 at 12:18 PM.
06-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
On a 64 bit machine the old free version of Nik Collection installs in Windows 10 by default on the programs folder (where the 64 bit programs are installed) and not in the programs (x86) (where the 32 bit programs are installed).

Checking the installation itself, one can see that it installs for each plug-in the 32 bit files and a folder with the same name plus (64-Bit) with the same number of files (and same name) who are the 64 bit version.

Example, for Silver Efex Pro 2, it is:
Programs\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf, Silver Efex Pro 2.exe
Programs\Google\Nik Collection\Silver Efex Pro 2\\Silver Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf, Silver Efex Pro 2.exe
Thanks for the extra information! I have no doubt it will be usefull for other members. At this point I realise I should have mentioned earlier that I am on Mac...

Edit; but your point stands and the same kind of thing probably happens independent of what platform&OS is used.

Last edited by Fries; 06-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.
06-12-2018, 05:05 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Windows 64 bit has a 32 bit emulator called WOW64.

It's the other way around that's impossible.
06-13-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've used the NIK Collection of plugins with my stand alone versions of PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements for years now. I really like them, and up until now, they've been free.

I also like the Topaz plugins, but they cost money of course.

But from now until the end of June, the just-released new/improved version of the NIK Collection will cost 49.99 USD - then after July 1 the cost will go up to $69 USD.

I thought I'd give this new and improved version of the NIK Collection a try - so I downloaded the 30-day free trial version of this new update.

I noticed that the new version download file was about 150MB smaller than the older free version. Strange, why would the more robust/newer version be quite a bit smaller in size than the older version? Shouldn't "new and improved" be a larger file size?

I then uploaded the new trial version to my PC computer. Well, to my disappointment, my old version completely disappeared (along with my presets, recipes, and favorites).

Then I tried out the new NIK Collection on some images. To my surprise, there was absolutely NO CHANGE in either the way any of the plugins looked or functioned!

So, you might want to save yourself the $49.99 and just keep using your old free version of the NIK Collection - that's what I'm going to do. The only advantage I can see to buying the new version is that you will receive future updates at a discounted price. But given that the parent company that owns the NIK Collection recently filed for bankruptcy, I wonder if there ever will be any substantial future updates.

I had sincerely hoped that the NIK Collection would be further developed and improved under its' new ownership. I absolutely love NIK's U-Point technology! But, based upon my limited experience with the "new and improved" version of the NIK Collection, it seems to me that the new owners either don't have the will or the resources to continue development of the NIK Collection.

This just might be the time to switch over to the comparable Topaz suite of plugins. Do I remember correctly that they can be purchased using a link on this forum???
FYI, DXO bought NIK Collection from Google which was going to let it die that's why it was free with absolutely no support. Several years ago NIK Collection was rather pricey. DXO has incorporated U Point into PhotoLab with several new features. Now they are charging a nominal amount for Nik Collection and it will live into the future with support.

Larry

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've also noticed the following on DxO's website:

"Nik Software’s U Point technology is fully integrated into DxO PhotoLab’s non-destructive workflow. This feature lets you make complex selections in just a few clicks and edit specific areas in your images, so you can apply local adjustments in a simple and intuitive manner."

It's possible that this latest version of Nik is required to support the full integration with PhotoLab...
The U Point technology has been improved in the latest update to PhotoLab with new features which BTW, work in their develop module.

Nope I don't think you need DXO to run the latest version of NIK collection. You just need to fork over the money to buy the updated NIK Collection.

Larry

---------- Post added 06-13-18 at 01:46 PM ----------

The Freeware version I have is 64 bit and i run it as a stand alone and also a plugin with my Zoner ZPS X which is also 64 bit but I downloaded the latest release from DXO before they released the $49 current version.

Larry