Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2018, 01:23 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
FYI, DXO bought NIK Collection from Google which was going to let it die that's why it was free with absolutely no support. Several years ago NIK Collection was rather pricey. DXO has incorporated U Point into PhotoLab with several new features. Now they are charging a nominal amount for Nik Collection and it will live into the future with support.

I already knew all of this and much more. Don't know why you assumed that I didn't.

Your claim that NIK Collection will "live into the future" is a might bold prediction given they are in bankruptcy.

06-14-2018, 05:40 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I already knew all of this and much more. Don't know why you assumed that I didn't.

Your claim that NIK Collection will "live into the future" is a might bold prediction given they are in bankruptcy.
Do you actually own a DXO product other than the $49 NIK Collection? If you did then you might discover that DXO just did a major update of PhotoLab's U Point technology in build 3036. This doesn't sound much like a company planning to go out of business.

Larry
06-14-2018, 07:26 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

They didn't file for bankruptcy, but for ch.11 bankruptcy protection, AFAIK.
Slightly different thing, as they will continue operations and hopefully recover.
06-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
They didn't file for bankruptcy, but for ch.11 bankruptcy protection, AFAIK.
Slightly different thing, as they will continue operations and hopefully recover.
Exactly!!

06-18-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course there is no guarantee they'll recover. I am optimistic they'll stick around; it did seem they are making an effort with Nik, and they bought the software just before going to ch.11. I can't imagine they would have purchased it if they didn't have some confidence about where they were headed.

As it is, I see what they are doing as a method of showing that they are going somewhere with this. They just bought Nik a year ago. The software hadn't evolved for years, and I imagine that given the short time frame since buying it, most effort was made in just updating things for efficiency and more modern computer architecture. I suspect the next steps are to more evolve things through (a) new features and (b) integration into PhotoLab. But, I don't know that will go too fast.

My only wish is that they'd acknowledge that if we buy the $49 Nik collection now, that we'll be able to upgrade it until they get to their first real changed release. I would hate to buy it and then need to pay for an upgrade because a year or two passes with slow development.
06-19-2018, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
My only wish is that they'd acknowledge that if we buy the $49 Nik collection now, that we'll be able to upgrade it until they get to their first real changed release. I would hate to buy it and then need to pay for an upgrade because a year or two passes with slow development.
I agree. Do they think no one would notice their current problems? If they made some commitments to US, the consumers, about the product then we'd be more inclined to commit our money to them. Sure, we'd realize any product, or company, can go away (as those of us who bought Nik from Nik know, or even got it from Google know...hello DxO, do you realize there's a pattern here? the Curse of Nik?). But a roadmap and some future upgrade commitments would probably be sufficient. But being opaque seems more the norm with software developers. Too bad; their loss.
06-19-2018, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

I've heard of lots of troubles using the Google Nik collection with the newest Photoshop versions -- we're still using PS CS6, and have had freeze-ups with that sometimes when doing control point stuff. Still been afraid to go to CC lest it stop working altogether. I'm glad somebody is giving it a go and presumably will keep it running, it was tragic to see Google just abandon it. We bought the full suite a long time ago, even $99 sounds way too low -- pretty sure we paid hundreds for it and felt it was well worth it.