Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rsk Quote
Amazing what this app can do and the improvements you made to your phone's camera performance by making use of it. I have a Huawei with a pretty good camera, but after installing FreeDCam and opening Settings I can't find Bayer format. Any idea how to check if my phone is capable of saving as RAW? It's rooted.
As UncleVanya said, if you can't find the option to select the Bayer pattern, it might just mean your phone can't shoot RAW... don't have experience with Huawei phones though, so it's just a guess.
What's the model?

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If it isn't showing I think that's the answer. I could get files but did not have a mapping to convert to raw.
In the case you chose Bayer over DNG and then tried to convert it with DCRaw, as suggested by the guide I followed, then conversion from bayer files didn't work for me either...
I choose DNG on the phone, and BTW I still get one file out of 3-4 that appears ok in RAWTherapee, but completely black or completely white in ACR. Probably a bit order issue, some screwed-up metadata or somesuch.

07-29-2018, 01:44 AM   #32
rsk

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
What's the model?
Huawei Honor 4X. I know it's a bare-bones model, but from what I've heard the camera is the same as the higher end variants.
07-29-2018, 02:11 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rsk Quote
Huawei Honor 4X. I know it's a bare-bones model, but from what I've heard the camera is the same as the higher end variants.
Yup, can't find much about it online I'm afraid...
I think 159-199€ is the sweetspot nowadays for an Android smartphone that is expected to last about 3 years.
It allows you to aim for 3-4 GB RAM and 4000 mAh battery, which are IMHO the two most important specs to look at, at the moment.
That's just my opinion, of course
07-29-2018, 02:45 AM   #34
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't see any Bayer option in the settings for my Huawei P10 either, but can still shoot raw (by clicking the lower of the three icons on the left on the main screen). It's not the same raw format as I get from the native camera app, though. The files are not recognised by the gallery apps on the phone

07-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My iPhone 6 Plus is not RAW-capable, but 645 PRO can output TIFFs, which is the next best thing.
08-01-2018, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My phone does RAW but I never bother with it. I have cameras for that.
08-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear you. I don't ever take cameras when I'm working overseas (which is unfortunately too often!) - too much to lug around already. So if I need to, I'll use the phone camera on the basis that 'the best camera in the world is the one you have with you'.

08-08-2018, 12:45 AM   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I hear you. I don't ever take cameras when I'm working overseas (which is unfortunately too often!) - too much to lug around already. So if I need to, I'll use the phone camera on the basis that 'the best camera in the world is the one you have with you'.
You need a Ricoh GR
08-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
You need a Ricoh GR
Well, considering the size and weight of a Ricoh GR II, and the quality of that APS-C size sensor, you will surely get better pictures cropping the images taken by that 28mm lens than using digital zoom on a mobile phone... And it's really tiny!

So, yeah, he needs a Ricoh GR!