Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2018, 04:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Testing 10 Photoshop Contenders

I just came across this somewhat specialized review and thought that I would post it here.....
QuoteQuote:
I tested more than ten contenders as alternatives to Adobe’s image processing software, evaluating them ONLY for the specialized task of editing demanding nightscape images taken under the Milky Way, both for single still images and for time-lapses of the moving sky. I did not test these programs for other more “normal” types of images.

06-08-2018, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Interesting review, although it really should be "Testing 9 Adobe Contenders".

Only 4 remotely compete with Photoshop, and the other 5 are more like Lightroom contenders. The tenth is an Adobe app.
06-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It is a good article, but its needs some updating to the latest versions for all the software.

06-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Article is quite a good survey of the RAW processor landscape.
Must have taken him some time (and money, since he bought all the applications) to put together.

06-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Browse around that site and you'll find other good info. It's Alan Dyer's site, a well known astronomy writer.
06-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shadow/highlight handling in Affinity

Thanks for the review. You mentioned that you had found Affinity's shadow/highlight handling limited. I have now been using Affinity (on Windows) for a couple of months. At first I wanted to move back to Adobe (CS6) because Affinity's controls seemed just similar enough to feel awkward. It would not quite do what I expected. As for shadow/highlight tools, I felt the same way for a while until I realized Affinity handles shadow/highlight in 2 stages with complimentary results. Using the shadow/highlight tool under the "Develop persona" and under the "Photo Persona" have very different results although it seems to be the same tool. As someone who shoots a variety of subjects badly and needs good editing software, I have really grown to like Affinity. Even if it does require some patience at first.
06-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The following is flat our wrong :
"NOTE: Windows users might find Corel’s Paintshop Pro 2018 a good “do-it-all” solution – I tested only Corel’s raw developer program Aftershot Pro, which Paintshop Pro uses."
These in fact contain two completely different RAW development engines, each with their own limitations.
One of the major differences is that the one in Aftershot requires specific camera profiles. The one in Paintshop Pro doesn't.