Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A Thread About LBA,PixelPeeping and Expectation

I am writing this thread in a good spirit, because it does not seem possible to debate this elsewhere. I have read your LBA posts, and those about pixel peeping, etc.

I don't have LBA, or Pixel Peeping syndrome, but I have "something", perhaps an acute case of MaximusResolutis.

I don't know what or how to ask, and even if this is supposed to be a question, but I am wondering about final (after processing) image sizes and qualities.

I seem to discard all images that doesn't look good at 100% view, and I don't believe in downsizing. I sit with my face 1 meter away from my 17" lcd, and If i see flaws (which most of you deem normal) such as a tiny bit of sharpness loss.

I don't like it, I don't like what Im turning into

I see so many images posted by people on flickr and smug, where the largest side is around 1024px, is downsizing liek this acceptable? When is sharp... "sharp enough"...

Help.

09-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best results are obviously good, but at 100% you can't even see your photo, just a part of someone's nostril...
09-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
marlong, Isn't what you are doing pixel peeping, at least to an extent? I thought that is what looking at an image at 100% was, or am I mistaking what you mean by 100%.

I have to say that I am a bit of a pixel peeper, although I always zoom back before I make a full decision to delete something. I let the pixel peeping decide the best in a series (if I take multiple shots of the same thing), and I let it help me with noise reduction and sharpening (to make sure I don't over do either one).

However, ultimately it is a full screen view or a partially zoomed view that decides whether I keep shots or not.

Really, it must be a matter of what works. It is a challenging item as screens are only at 72 dpi, so to view them full screen or at something other than 100%, you are essentially looking at a reduced resolution / inferior photo (to some extent) and at 100%, you are seeing very little of the image at too big of a size. It doesn't help when considering how a print might look.

As a relative newbie to the whole RAW processing / 10 MP world, I always look at what others do. I am getting better with sharpening and noise reduction, which I never could do well with my old 4 MP camera, and I am learning more and more. This RAW thing has teached me a lot about digital photography and digital processing. It is making the hobby a joy more and more.