Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-10-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mouse lag affecting Lightroom among other things

For some time I have been suffering from an apparently random occurrence of severe mouse lag.

I have a home built Windows 10 running a Core I7 processor, 16 G RAM and several hard drives. Not a bad machine normally. Lately however I have been hit with frequent mouse issues. The mouse is a Logitech MX Revolution. Supposedly one of the better units around. The pointer would not behave. It was slow, jerky and behaved most erratically. It became very difficult to do fine adjustments using Lightroom sliders . Sometimes it was ok (barely useable) but other times horrid.

I did all the usual things internet searches and applied most of the "remedies" Some seemed to work for a while but then the behaviour crept back. Virus checks revealed nothing. Reloading Mouse drivers achieved nothing. The mouse worked fine in another computer. Other mice did nothing for this computer. I commenced removing unnecessary programs which is not a bad thing anyway. Clearing out startup programs etc. Most of these activities provided some short term but false relief.

Then I hit on indexing. Looking at the indexing setup on my PC I found a birds nest of directories/subdirectories spread across several drives, including the SSD Drive where all program files reside including the Lightroom Catalogue. There were also some exclusions that I would not have set. OK Clean this up. I really only need to index the data drive. I don't need to index the program files, I don't need to index the backup drive either. So delete the lot and start again. Index the data Drive only, excluding the Recycle Bin.

VOILA

I have a new fast PC again with excellent mouse performance. LR is a pleasure to use again, I can see changes as they are made. In the process I found and fixed problems with my automated backup and Virus checking regimes.

I hope this helps someone else experiencing similar problems.

Last edited by Bruce Clark; 06-10-2018 at 07:13 PM. Reason: typos
06-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had mouse lag with LR on my Mac - but ONLY when using the spot tool. Not always, but it is there.

I'll search indexing on a Mac, see what it gives me.
06-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing your experience and the excellent suggestion!

Steve
06-11-2018, 12:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I routinely turn the indexing by the OS off as soon as I install or reinstall.
I'm fine with regular search speed, and don't need processes hogging my HDDs when I need to use my PC.

06-26-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on Mouse problems.

The issues appear to be more complex than I imagined. There appear to be many seemingly unconnected issues that affect mouse performance. In my case the fix i applied and described above, worked only for a short while until the problem returned. Video drivers have been reported to have an effect as does several software issues that seem unrelated to mouse behaviour. I found printer drivers to be screwed up to the point where the print spool had to be reset. Back-up software routines seemed not to work. Virus software conflicts. Certain operations I could not perform even though I had full adin rights invoked. On and on it went.

Outdated MS Office applications, other unused software, multiple versions of Lightroom, ( I had 4 installed) Photoshop, Photoshop Elements virus checkers etc etc.Anyway to cut a long story short a complete reinstall of WIN 10.involving the removal of all existing applications. Re installation of up to date Lightroom, Photoshop, MS Office and other applications I do use. Probably a good thing to do from time to time but did it fix the problem. No, not entirely. It seemed OK for a while then bang after 30 minutes or so back it all came. The mouse (Logitech MX Revolution) worked just fine on my laptop but not on the desktop. A spare wired mouse failed to work on the the desktop so it was not a mouse issue right? Wrong! Another cheap wireless mouse (non rechargeable worked just fine. The MX rechargeable batteries were old and not holding charge like they used to. It used to work for a week on a full charge and go right down into in the red. Could this be an issue? (certainly). Give it a good charge. 4 green LEDS ok. 2 green LEDS problems start. I have ordered a replacement Li battery for the MX mouse. Maybe this will be the final fix. The little cheap mouse is not comfortable to use. Anyway I now have a nice clean computer. So far so good.
06-26-2018, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the update,PC issues can look like Voodoo sometimes...
I agree that keeping 4 versions of LR installed doesn't look like a good idea...

Mouse lag is a strange thing... I think I've only experienced it as a consequence of general system slowdown, like when PS eats up all the RAM and starts using the swap file on the HDD...