Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Workflow advice

Hi ! i am a hobbyist photographer, nothing serious. I want to organize my workflow and need advice, a lot of it has to do with lightroom and how i use my hard disk space/file structure.

1.Right now i have a 2Tb internal hard disk(7200 rpm) and i have dedicated it for photography files only. I want to keep a copy of all my RAW files, exported files and other pictures on this internal hard disk and i want a duplicate of this data kept on an external hard disk- This hard disk is a 4TB WD my passport wireless pro.
I am unable to find a program which will mirror/keep my folders synced in real time on both these locations- (a) internal HDD and (b) external HDD. I found a program from seagate called toolkit which creates mirror folders and are synced in real time. But it does not work on WD drive. Any suggestions how i can do this without writing any code/small script myself.

2.i intend to follow this method-
A. transfer raw files to the internal hard disk by using lightroom import at home
B. outdoors- transfer files to Wd wireless pro and on returning home, transfer to internal HDD using lightroom import. WD wireless pro has a built-in SD card slot.
Earlier i used to just import the RAW files in big folder, arranaged by date. And i would export the files under a seperate folder named Exports...arranged by subfolders having date or event name.
I have watched few workflow videos, some of them suggest - export all Raws in one place...name the folders by event name or date..then under the exported folder- create sub folders having- 1.Raw, 2. Editable photos 3. Final exports. Do you think this is a good way to organize photos ? i used to keep all my RAWs in one folder with sub folders so if i needed i could move/copy them anywhere i want.

3. While exporting from lightroom, i am facing a problem. I used to use this option- "mark a duplicate copy to" for exporting to primary and secondary location( different hard disks). However, the files are being imported using a different folder structure at my 2nd location then what i import at my primary location. How can i change this ?

4. Auto-import settings- Do you all use auto-import function in lightroom ? under watched folders can i assign a folder on my external hard disk ?

5. In lightroom, on extreme left, the photos can be navigated by catalog or below it tab to navigate folder wise and below it are collections. I can not scroll down the folders. The master folder shows up and i am unable to scroll down the sub folders at all. can not even go down via down keys on keyboard.

i am attaching screenshots of all issues i am facing. My lightroom is Lightroom 6.1.1 1st image is about mark a second copy issue. 2nd image is result of file import at secondary location using mark duplicate option in lightroom. 3rd image is auto-import setting. 4th image shows the area where i can not navigate using mouse or keyboard at all.

Kindly advise !

Attached Images

06-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The best solution is to do everything once and allow a backup solution to copy everything in the background, rather than trying to do everything twice.

Is it really essential to do this backing up in real time? There are options...but they are resource intensive. A once-a-day backup would be nearly as good and easily done free (EaseUS is my preferred option).

If you really want real-time backup, are you able to install a second drive in your machine? If so, RAID is the best option - it is implemented on the hardware level and so easy on resources and free...you can still do a regular external backup. Being popular with businesses, real-time external backup is usually the preserve of paid software...I don't know of any free options.

As a hobbyist, really a regular standard backup is more than adequate. Ensure you keep your RAWs on the card until the backup is complete so you always have at least 2 copies.
06-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
5. In lightroom, on extreme left, the photos can be navigated by catalog or below it tab to navigate folder wise and below it are collections. I can not scroll down the folders. The master folder shows up and i am unable to scroll down the sub folders at all. can not even go down via down keys on keyboard.
If I understand your problem and the last photo correctly, just click on the small arrow head to the left of the folder icon. That will open the subfolder structure beneath it, which you should then be able to scroll. Otherwise I do not understand the issue, since you seem to have scrolled down in the subfolders below the "master" Pentax k500 raw.
06-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

>>>1)
There are solution likes RAID and MIRRORING but they are expensive and learning curve is high. They are made for enterprise users. It is like P&S guy trying to operate DSLR , steep learning curve. I do the SYNC using a tool called WINMERGE. It tells me which files have changed, and I copy only those files using the menu option provided by Winmerge. This is a old school strategy but reliable. WINMERGE can be configured to compare the files by their attributes(like size, modified date) instead of comparing actual file content. This will speed up comparison. Basically when comparing 45mb file, it should not be comparing byte by byte, instead it should compare the file attributes like modeified-date, file-size.
Latter will be faster.

06-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
If I understand your problem and the last photo correctly, just click on the small arrow head to the left of the folder icon. That will open the subfolder structure beneath it, which you should then be able to scroll. Otherwise I do not understand the issue, since you seem to have scrolled down in the subfolders below the "master" Pentax k500 raw.
I use GoodSync at the end of the day, I think it can be used real time.
06-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
BFD

Photos: Gallery
WD usually has back up software on their drive. Smallest back up increment is hourly. But it is free.

Don't delete your files from your camera card till they have been backed up.
06-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You could always try a consumer mirror drive like the D-link 320L. i use two for my photography needs.
Having worked in IT since God's dog was a puppy, I know hard disk failures are as inevitable as death and taxes. The little consumer mirror drives like my D-links mean I have two copies of all my raw file, sidecars, catalogs, exported JPGs etc. with no intervention from me whatsoever. And when one HDD fails - and it will - pop another in and away you go. No interruption to work.
The D-link enclosures cost me around £50 each, disks extra but the price of disks is falling continuously, and disk drives will be required no matter how you attack this. Not a lot to pay for complete peace of mind.

06-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #8

Microsoft has a great sync program called sync toy.
Free from Microsoft. Just search for it on their website. Works great for me.