Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2018, 12:51 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just started experimenting with ACDSee which came free with an Acronis upgrade.

06-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I never got caught by Adobe and have bought many lenses for all I saved. I currently use Darktable, Rawtherapee and Faststone.
06-17-2018, 02:35 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I subscribe to the full Adobe CC suite.

I subscribe to the full Adobe CC, because I use not just Lightroom and Photoshop, but a number of other CC applications too.

I don't have a hang-up about the subscription model. And I find Lightroom and Photoshop are good for me, partly because I have several years of experience with each of them.
06-17-2018, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased the last LR and PS that could be purchased, They serve me. Are there new features released for subscription users only that I might like to have, Yes. Am I tempted to subscribe? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Adobe's business model, to collect thousands of dollars for a product they once sold for a few hundred is disgusting. Wonder what their business plan is for upping the price of subscribing after a first year "special introductory rate?"

Last edited by WPRESTO; 06-17-2018 at 05:26 AM.
06-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #35

I've been using ON1 for 7 months or so now but still have the LR Classic subscription that I use now mainly for just a back up.

ON1 is just about to release a major upgrade by the end of this month and if it performs better than it does right now I will not renew my Adobe subscription in a couple of months and use ON1 only for all my processing moving forward.

It's probably been at least 8 weeks since I've even opened LR to use, ON1 does everything I need to do and does it well.
06-17-2018, 05:38 AM   #36
Forum Member

I've been using LR standalone for years (currently v6) and will not succumb to the subscription model. LR works very well for me, but I fear the day that it's no longer supported. Are there any alternatives that a LR catalogue can be migrated to?
06-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by magmotif Quote
I've been using LR standalone for years (currently v6) and will not succumb to the subscription model. LR works very well for me, but I fear the day that it's no longer supported. Are there any alternatives that a LR catalogue can be migrated to?
You can migrate your catalog to ON1 Photo Raw. I haven't done this myself yet but I know it can be done.

06-17-2018, 06:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

It's still Aperture for me. The ability to do excellent work without a huge learning curve. It's been discontinued for 4 years now but still works great.

I taught photoshop and was happy to use my school purchased licenses, but I was never going to pay that kind of money fo home use. A freind who does cereal boxes and hotel brochures etc. for a major corporation uses it, and it's worth his while. I've sen Hotel Images where he's cloned out trees and completely changed the landscapeing so you can see what the building looks like without them. He uses every feature. For myself, I don't do that.

I tend to think people who think they need to pay for that level of software are delusional, when talking about amateur use. I'm still happy with 4 year out of date software I paid $200 for 8 years ago, $25 a year is about what I'm happy paying. And if in fact Aperture never actually becomes unusable, which it shouldn't because unlike windows product, all Apple software is written with strict operational standards that are respected up grade after upgrade, it could conceivably go on working for another 10 years, although peripheral features like "Places" have stopped working. I can do "Places with Google earth, so that's not even an issue.
06-17-2018, 06:57 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

I've used PhotoShop for about 20 years. Even taught it at the local community college. Then I went to Light Room and didn't care for it. I tried PS Elements and a few other image editing softwares too, and was never fully satisfied with any of them - none of them ever measured up to PhotoShop in my eyes.

To me, making large prints is important. It's the primary reason I take photos.

Recently I downloaded a trial version of DxO's PhotoLab. I played with some DNG RAW image files I'd taken with my K1 camera. I didn't do much manipulation to any of these RAW files, just did a few very minor/light changes to the RAW files.

While there are many things I hate about PhotoLab, I'm going to keep it and pay for the Elite version ($150) because it does the best job of printing of any software I have ever used.

The 24 inch by 36 inch prints it sends to my large format Epson printer from K1 DNG RAW files are the best prints I've ever made. In particular, the out of focus parts of the print are the creamiest and smoothest I've ever been able to produce on a print.

I just wish I could show you my PhotoLab prints, you'd be impressed too. The difference between the prints I make with PhotoLab and any of the many other image editing softwares I've tried is huge. Don't know why, it just is, and I'm loving the prints. It's like I just got a new printer.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 06-17-2018 at 07:14 AM.
06-17-2018, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #40

Corel AfterShot Pro/PS Pro? Anyone?

I've been a faithful Corel Aftershot/PS Pro user for the last 10 years or so....seems not many other forum users are in my boat. I do also use Raw Therapee (more often since updating my body to a KP) and like the results I am getting. (User interface has steadily improved over the years)

I refuse to buy into the subscription model for personal-use software. The only downside of being a Corel PS Pro user that I can see is we're now losing access to the Nik Collection (I have the free version downloaded from Google in 2017) so I may delay upgrading this season....OR if DXO Photolab announces integration of the Nik Collection into their PhotoLab s/w, I could be persuaded to at least download a trial version. But having to use three stand-alone packages in my post-process workflow is a non-starter.

Attached image edited with RT-->PSPro(2017) w/Nik ClrEfex plug-in. "Enchanted Forest"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
06-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #41

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. Personally I've never used Ps - I have an old copy of Ps Elements somewhere but I used it so infrequently I didn't re install it when I changed my PC a year ago and haven't missed it.

I will probably continue on with Lr 6 for the forseeable future as I'm not planning on changing camera body until the new K3 replacement hits the streets, so at least another xx months or so.
06-17-2018, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I've used PhotoShop for about 20 years. Even taught it at the local community college. Then I went to Light Room and didn't care for it. I tried PS Elements and a few other image editing softwares too, and was never fully satisfied with any of them - none of them ever measured up to PhotoShop in my eyes.

To me, making large prints is important. It's the primary reason I take photos.

Recently I downloaded a trial version of DxO's PhotoLab. I played with some DNG RAW image files I'd taken with my K1 camera. I didn't do much manipulation to any of these RAW files, just did a few very minor/light changes to the RAW files.

While there are many things I hate about PhotoLab, I'm going to keep it and pay for the Elite version ($150) because it does the best job of printing of any software I have ever used.

The 24 inch by 36 inch prints it sends to my large format Epson printer from K1 DNG RAW files are the best prints I've ever made. In particular, the out of focus parts of the print are the creamiest and smoothest I've ever been able to produce on a print.

I just wish I could show you my PhotoLab prints, you'd be impressed too. The difference between the prints I make with PhotoLab and any of the many other image editing softwares I've tried is huge. Don't know why, it just is, and I'm loving the prints. It's like I just got a new printer.
Dxo's is the only company I know of who gear everything towards print output. Even their lens charts etc. are based on making print files. So that doesn't surprise me at all. That has to be an advantage over companies that base their resolution tests on computer monitor images, if you are still making prints.

My output these days is based on 4k TV display. I've taken my large size printer to the dump. 4k TV is a lot less demanding than print, IMHO. 16 MP K-5 images look fine on 4k TV.
06-17-2018, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still on a LR6 perpetual license. I'd try On1 but they won't support the 645D which I still use regularly. Affinity for the heavier edits or PS 5.

I'm hoping for more options in the future. Good software takes a lot of time and I can wait for now. I'd rather wait for late releases than deal with on time but not ready ones.
06-17-2018, 09:13 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Irrespective of where I went, this thread reminds me it's time for me to go... developing today's RAW files
06-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NatureSeeker808 Quote
I've been a faithful Corel Aftershot/PS Pro user for the last 10 years or so....seems not many other forum users are in my boat. I do also use Raw Therapee (more often since updating my body to a KP) and like the results I am getting. (User interface has steadily improved over the years)

I refuse to buy into the subscription model for personal-use software. The only downside of being a Corel PS Pro user that I can see is we're now losing access to the Nik Collection (I have the free version downloaded from Google in 2017) so I may delay upgrading this season....OR if DXO Photolab announces integration of the Nik Collection into their PhotoLab s/w, I could be persuaded to at least download a trial version. But having to use three stand-alone packages in my post-process workflow is a non-starter.

Attached image edited with RT-->PSPro(2017) w/Nik ClrEfex plug-in. "Enchanted Forest"
Another AfterShot/PaintShop Pro user, I've been using it a number of years. I don't do a lot in post, just raw development and minor adjustments. I also have the free download of DxO 11 Pro that I use on occasion.

Edit: One thing that gripes me about Coral is all the ads. Open the program and get an ad, email after email about special offers, pop-ups, etc.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 06-17-2018 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Additional comments