Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
What's DAM?
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Digital Asset Manager/Management (Software)
Your photo album, in simpler terms
The one being added to Luminar is supposed to support Lightroom libraries...

QuoteQuote:
After the recent Adobe news about Lightroom updates, we received a lot of questions about our plans for creating a photo manager, so we’d like to shed some light on this.

At the moment we're working on the digital asset manager ("DAM") which will work with both hard drives and cloud storage platforms. It’s going to be the perfect tool for organizing and managing images. Users will be able to run our DAM alongside their LR library and choose which one fits them best.

The new DAM will be added to Luminar in 2018, and will be a free update to everyone who owns Luminar 2018 after it is release. We'll be sharing more details soon, so keep an eye out for them!
Not much info since then...

06-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just in case anyone is wondering, Adobe still sell Lightroom 6 from their online shop. Permanent licence. I always thought a strength of Pentax DSLRs is being able to shoot in .DNG and not necessarily needing the latest software to get at your RAW files (still using ACR with Photoshop CS4.)
06-16-2018, 02:29 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ON1
Photolemur for quick and dirty
06-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Into DxO OpticsPro since v10 (from LR5), upgraded to v11, and now running PhotoLab 1.2.

Software has evolved quite remarkably since the early days, and I have learnt a thing or two about putting it to use, too, I guess. Absolutely no regrets about DxO. Still have LR5 on my computer, but hardly use it for anything but image import. Given that I use a super-simple capture date-based image file system, actually I wouldn't even need LR for import.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 06-16-2018 at 02:52 PM.
06-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I never used Photoshop for raster editing (am currently with Affinity Photo for that) and stayed with LR 6 (perpetual license/non-CC) for RAW conversion, DAM and printer control.

Steve
06-16-2018, 03:09 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The one being added to Luminar is supposed to support Lightroom libraries...
Supporting the libraries is one thing and very admirable. Transferring the processing directives in a meaningful manner is quite another. Were they able to support LR collections and virtual copy features as well? I have collections for printing based on paper ICC profiles and soft-proof virtual copies.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.
06-16-2018, 04:38 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Supporting the libraries is one thing and very admirable. Transferring the processing directives in a meaningful manner is quite another. Were they able to support LR collections and virtual copy features as well. I have collections for printing based on paper ICC profiles and soft-proof virtual copies.

Steve
Like I said. Not much has been revealed other than the video last year...They've kinda pissed people off that it's still vaporware...

06-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Darktable in windows.
06-16-2018, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I left Lightroom and then Windows. On Linux I’m using Rawtherapee, Darktable and occasionally Gimp. What I did miss about Lightroom was the printer support. Recently I’ve found Turboprint and can now use paper profiles again, plus create my own profiles and softproofing.
06-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I use one called Lightzone - Its a free editor based on the zone system totally different approach to other editors I've used, I've been using it for about 10 years now - It went open source about 5 years back.

Even when I had the full adobe suite for work I wound up using Lightzone just about daily as I find it handles folders of mixed file types and batch operations better than Lightroom - I also find the workflow more intuitive and easier to revert with.

LightZone | Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux
06-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ketsuppi11 Quote
What's DAM?

Its what a fish says when traveling up stream in a river... in all seriousness though digital assett manager

Anyways ive gone to ON1 and it has been getting better

06-16-2018, 08:19 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

I still have Lightroom on three devices. It is not my primary system any more, I never owned Photoshop other than a copy of Elements I bought in a weak moment (removed it after a few weeks, worst 79USD I ever spent).
I currently run Capture One Pro and when I need to I own Affinity Photo for one or two shots a year. I used the DAM features in Capture One and for my processed images I use Media Pro, which is a dedicated DAM system.
I have a copy of PDU, Aftershot Pro 3 and some other stuff that I really should get rid of.

Last edited by PDL; 06-17-2018 at 12:38 PM.
06-16-2018, 08:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I occasionally still use PS, but most of my editing is done in Polarr Pro. Great RAW editor for only $30.
06-16-2018, 09:03 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staying with Adobe for now. However I have purchased On1 Photo Raw. I like some of it's Effects and having some experience with it gives me an easy alternative to Adobe if they hike the price too much on the Photography CC in the future.
06-16-2018, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

I've pretty much gone RawTherapee all the way. On rare occasions, I will use DxO. I'm one of those few that doesn't like programs with DAM. Too many hassles for me. I just want to convert a few RAW images on occasion & not let some program build an incredibly large database that might eventually get corrupted.