Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Printer Profiling Input

I have recently profiled my Laptop using a newly acquired X-Rite ColorMunki Display and I'm highly satisfied with the result. I found that the ColorMunki Software rendered a yellow cast to the photos but the DisplayCal software rendered the monitor colors much more to my liking and more true in my opinion.

Now I've turned my attention to my Canon TS9020 multifunction printer. Please don't tell me I should buy a Pro100 or any other higher end printer. I have absolutely no room for one at all, so the TS will have to do for now. I've attempted to get the colors rendered by the printer matching my monitor and they look OK but I just can't help thinking that I could get the profile and the print more to my liking. I've searched the internet for profiles to the glossy inkjet paper I'm planning to use but to no avail. My plan is to rent a ColorMunki Photo Device for a few days and profile my printer using the inks and photo paper I plan to use

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Larry

06-22-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your position is very similar to mine. I have had an Epson 3880 since 2011. It died recently in that the cost of keeping it going was just not worth it. I decided not to replace it with the current Epson equivalent model, the P800, as that too was fairly expensive for the amount of printing I do. I found a lab to make my final fine art prints and purchased an Epson XP-440 for casual office-type printing. It's a four-colour inkjet printer, and I was surprised that it could do a decent job on my business cards which I had previously printed on the 3880 (photograph on one side and text on the other). I have the Datacolor SpyderPRINT hardware and software and just this morning printed the profiling sheets for two papers on the XP-440. I am hoping the printer will produce decent test prints before I have to go to the outside lab for the final print.

Like me you will have to do your own printer/paper profiling. Good luck with it.
06-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
Your position is very similar to mine. I have had an Epson 3880 since 2011. It died recently in that the cost of keeping it going was just not worth it. I decided not to replace it with the current Epson equivalent model, the P800, as that too was fairly expensive for the amount of printing I do. I found a lab to make my final fine art prints and purchased an Epson XP-440 for casual office-type printing. It's a four-colour inkjet printer, and I was surprised that it could do a decent job on my business cards which I had previously printed on the 3880 (photograph on one side and text on the other). I have the Datacolor SpyderPRINT hardware and software and just this morning printed the profiling sheets for two papers on the XP-440. I am hoping the printer will produce decent test prints before I have to go to the outside lab for the final print.

Like me you will have to do your own printer/paper profiling. Good luck with it.
Thanks Charles,

The Canon is a 6 tank printer 5 colors with a big dye ink tank. I can't see spending over $400 for the ColorMunki Photo when I can rent one for 10 days for $50 and profile the paper I will probably use for the next couple of years, I've settled on my ink so i'm not changing that. Did your profiling of the XP-440 improve its output ?
06-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only printed the profiling sheets. I will do the profiling in the next day or two and let you know. I see that your printer has the normal three colours, two blacks, and grey (correct me if I'm wrong). You should do better than me in terms of colour fidelity.

Added: I've had the SpyderPRINT stuff for several years now. Initially the profiles were slightly better than the downloaded ones but also more much work. I ended up using the paper manufacturers' profiles on my 3880. In this case, however, it's the only way to go. The paper manufacturers provide profiles for only the most common fine art printers.

06-22-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I've only printed the profiling sheets. I will do the profiling in the next day or two and let you know. I see that your printer has the normal three colours, two blacks, and grey (correct me if I'm wrong). You should do better than me in terms of colour fidelity.

Added: I've had the SpyderPRINT stuff for several years now. Initially the profiles were slightly better than the downloaded ones but also more much work. I ended up using the paper manufacturers' profiles on my 3880. In this case, however, it's the only way to go. The paper manufacturers provide profiles for only the most common fine art printers.
That's correct, I'm looking forward to your results. Thanks.

Larry
06-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Now I've turned my attention to my Canon TS9020 multifunction printer. Please don't tell me I should buy a Pro100 or any other higher end printer.
OK, I won't! Red River provides profiles for your printer and a goodly number of their papers. I have found their product to be very decent and perhaps you will too.

Red River Papers | TS9020 Profiles

Steve
06-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OK, I won't! Red River provides profiles for your printer and a goodly number of their papers. I have found their product to be very decent and perhaps you will too.

Red River Papers | TS9020 Profiles

Steve
Well Steve, old buddy.

I have 160 sheets of the paper I've bought so throwing away perfectly good paper is kind of wasteful to me.......Just kidding. I bought the paper from Sam's Club for $15 and so far its been pretty good and my "visual" profiling seems to have worked but i just can't help but that I could do a lot better profiling with the proper equipment rather than going through sheets and sheets of photo paper comparing different setting. Additionally I'm not using Canon supplied ink so profiling to me is the best way for me to go.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 06-22-2018 at 09:04 PM.
06-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #8
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally got to create profiles for the Epson XP-440. Given that I paid only CDN$60 + tax for the printer, I am very impressed. I created two profiles, one for Epsom's Ultra Premium Presentation Matte and the other for Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Satin. I use the former for test prints before I make the final version of the image and the latter for my business cards.

I had been playing around with old 3880 profiles and they worked to some extent. The Photo Rag Satin profile for the XP-440 did correct a colour caste I was having with one of business card images; these are printed 10-up in a single sheet of paper.

I printed one colour image and one black & white image on the Epson paper using its profile. The colour gradation in the former was very adequate for testing purposes but had some blotchiness in a deeply saturated blue sky. The black & white was surprisingly good given the single back ink; again, good for testing. Four-ink inkjet printers have come a long way from the original HP one.

Added: The XP-440 printer is a wireless printer which is how I set it up originally. It also has a USB 2 connection, intended, I think, for setting the printer up initially. I had several photographic prints fail to complete when printing wirelessly. I suspected that the printer's capability to handle heavy throughput loads was limited, so I connected it to my desktop with a USB cable. That enabled me to print my business card on my last sheet of Photo Rag Satin paper.

Last edited by cpk; 06-26-2018 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Additional comment
07-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adventures in Printer Calibration Land

I just finished profiling my relatively inexpensive Canon TS9020 Printer this past weekend with a X-Rite ColorMunki Photo device rented from LensRentals. I am totally pleased with the result. I profiled three different photo papers I will use.

Now for the adventure. When I first received the ColorMunki Photo I discovered my laptop was not communicating with my printer......good grief? What I discovered was that my AV latest software update had blocked the port for no reason at all as it was working two days prior. My fix was to download another AV software. After getting things back to "normal" I profiled one of the photo papers I planned to use and the printer output was totally too dark. The same result happened with the two other photo Paper types I planned to use. I went back and redid my profiling.......same results. What a waste of time and a bit of money and photo paper, I thought, so back in the box with the device. The next day I decided to try again and used the profiles I had generated the days before and used the optimize my profiles option in the ColorMunki Software. Wow what a difference optimizing makes! I used one of Bill Atkinson's test files as my sample photograph and my printed photos now match my DisplayCal monitor profile.

I'm a happy camper......other than the red bug bites!
07-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the confirmation that it is worth it. Sometimes a lot of work but the results usually justify the effort.
07-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Thanks for the confirmation that it is worth it. Sometimes a lot of work but the results usually justify the effort.
Very worth it. Its amazing that not one mention of optimizing the printer output to the screen display has ever been mentioned in any of the printer profiling tutorials I have viewed. Merely profiling the printer is the first step.
07-17-2018, 02:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very worth it. Its amazing that not one mention of optimizing the printer output to the screen display has ever been mentioned in any of the printer profiling tutorials I have viewed. Merely profiling the printer is the first step.
That is a little odd. I think I have seen the paper profiling advice given often. Oh well you have it set up so have fun!
07-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is a little odd. I think I have seen the paper profiling advice given often. Oh well you have it set up so have fun!
Mike, you misunderstood me there is plenty of advice about profiling whatever printer paper you are going to use. I have not seen any advice to further optimize the paper and printer using a photo with a wide color gamut to allow the X-Rite software to read the monitor profile and better match the printer output to the monitor. Merely profiling the printer does not do that from what I have discovered. Especially when using different brands of paper and non OEM inks.
07-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, you misunderstood me there is plenty of advice about profiling whatever printer paper you are going to use. I have not seen any advice to further optimize the paper and printer using a photo with a wide color gamut to allow the X-Rite software to read the monitor profile and better match the printer output to the monitor. Merely profiling the printer does not do that from what I have discovered. Especially when using different brands of paper and non OEM inks.
Ah, yes, that is a more specific.
07-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ah, yes, that is a more specific.
Sorry for the not too clear explanation.