Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Pro 100 on the way - Looking for feedback

Hi all,

I know this printer is very common in the states because of the incredible deals you guys have, in Europe or at least in France I have spent months checking for good deals with no success.
A week ago I found an interresting deal but with a drawback, the printer box is damaged. the seller sent pics and there is nothing to worry about at least from watching the pictures. I've got a 10 days free return anyway so I ordered it. Should be home next week.

I've been watching videos and reading tutorials about this Model and about general printing advice in Lr as well.
Im using a calibrated 5K Imac and I've had nice results with various online services in terms of colors fidelity.

It's been a while since I wanted to buy my own A3 printer to start printing my pictures on a regular basis. I know this has a price tag but the more I print and the more I think about prints as my final output for my images. I might end up with buying less gear and print more.

I am very jealous of you in the USA, because you've got amazing deals on the printer AND on the paper ! That's unbelievable, I've seen the buy 1 get 9 for free on the Canon USA store
And it was A3+ photo paper, like Pro Platinum or Luster ones.

If someone knows where to get good deals for paper and inks in Europe, please let me know.
So far Amazon has been the best store to buy Canon Paper and inks from.

So, what are you guys thinking about this printer ? any recommendation ? tips or advice ?
I can't wait to print my first photo with my own printer !

One useful ressource I found is José Rodriguez YT channel.
Jose Rodriguez - YouTube

Your feedback is appreciated,

06-24-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why use Canon papers? I use Paper Spectrum in the UK for both paper and ink. Their customer service is fantastic, and the have ICC profiles available for all their paper types. I suggest having a look at some of the Pinnacle stuff.

Last edited by robbiec; 06-24-2018 at 02:57 PM.
06-24-2018, 04:41 PM   #3
Unregistered User

I've used one extensively for the past couple of years, printing hundreds of large prints. I usually use Premiere premium luster, it has the whitest base.

Your monitor setup should work well, after you get it tweaked in you'll be fine. Always check your histogram before printing, unless it is a low-contrast scene you should have a range of tones from deepest black (0,0,0) to pure white (255, 255, 255). I always add saturation to make up for the difference in looking at reflected light versus direct light. I have had best results with "printer controls color" when using Photoshop. Try to have consistent room brightness when testing and printing.

It can use a lot of ink on start-up, but mine has never had a head clog. Try to batch your printing to minimize ink consumption on start up.

The prints are fairy permanent in room light, but should be displayed under glass and not in bright sunlight. Dark storage is supposed to be good for 100+ years.

Needless to say, keep an eye out for bargains on ink. Only use Canon ink for critical use. The light colors and black are used the most.

Only use regular ink-jet papers, nothing too thin, thin paper can jam.

Good luck!
06-24-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Here you go

06-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Why use Canon papers? I use Paper Spectrum in the UK for both paper and ink. Their customer service is fantastic, and the have ICC profiles available for all their paper types. I suggest having a look at some of the Pinnacle stuff.
Well yes you're right, as much as I intend to use Canon OEM Ink Im not fixed on Canon Paper. Ill check Spectrum Paper thanks mate!
I have read RedRiver Paper is also a good option, I might do some tests in the first weeks of use Ill see.

QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I've used one extensively for the past couple of years, printing hundreds of large prints. I usually use Premiere premium luster, it has the whitest base.

Your monitor setup should work well, after you get it tweaked in you'll be fine. Always check your histogram before printing, unless it is a low-contrast scene you should have a range of tones from deepest black (0,0,0) to pure white (255, 255, 255). I always add saturation to make up for the difference in looking at reflected light versus direct light. I have had best results with "printer controls color" when using Photoshop. Try to have consistent room brightness when testing and printing.

It can use a lot of ink on start-up, but mine has never had a head clog. Try to batch your printing to minimize ink consumption on start up.

The prints are fairy permanent in room light, but should be displayed under glass and not in bright sunlight. Dark storage is supposed to be good for 100+ years.

Needless to say, keep an eye out for bargains on ink. Only use Canon ink for critical use. The light colors and black are used the most.

Only use regular ink-jet papers, nothing too thin, thin paper can jam.

Good luck!
Thanks for your feedback I will carefully watch my histogram !
I still need to see how Im gonna frame theses prints to be honest. I use to make my own American type box myself, takes some time but nothing difficult to do and quiet cheap, thats my favorite display for my images but the problem is that it's on open air.

I was looking for a way to display the prints in a book maybe, well I need to think about it !

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Sorry mate, didnt get it
06-25-2018, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #6
Unregistered User

You can certainly display prints without glass, but you might see some fading in 5 years or so. Ink-jet paper tends to absorb contaminants from the air too, it might get dingy if the display area is prone to smoke or cooking particulates. One thing to be aware of if you do put prints under glass: let the print air-dry for at least a day before framing, other wise it may out-gas and add a haze on the inner surface of the glass. I doesn't hurt anything and can be cleaned, but it is annoying to have to re-frame a print.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-25-2018 at 04:49 PM.
06-25-2018, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

When I want to get a print out - or a small set - I use the Canon Pro 100 with Canon inks, Canon paper, and Canon profiles. I can literally get quality prints in only the time it takes to crop and print my (already processed) files. And the print times are fast too. Every other serious photo printer literally takes me 3-10 times longer to get results, as I print, re-print, and otherwise mess around. And then I still wonder if the print is good enough, and may re-print it again in a follow up session or two.

There’s potential value in pursuing third party inks/papers/profiles. You may save some money and improve your results, but you won’t save time.

In other words, the Canon Pro-100 has saved me from myself.

For me, using the Canon supplies has made the difference between getting nice prints to hang or give out vs. having my images stuck in digital purgatory forever.

06-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
When I want to get a print out - or a small set - I use the Canon Pro 100 with Canon inks, Canon paper, and Canon profiles. I can literally get quality prints in only the time it takes to crop and print my (already processed) files. And the print times are fast too. Every other serious photo printer literally takes me 3-10 times longer to get results, as I print, re-print, and otherwise mess around. And then I still wonder if the print is good enough, and may re-print it again in a follow up session or two.

There’s potential value in pursuing third party inks/papers/profiles. You may save some money and improve your results, but you won’t save time.

In other words, the Canon Pro-100 has saved me from myself.

For me, using the Canon supplies has made the difference between getting nice prints to hang or give out vs. having my images stuck in digital purgatory forever.
I certainly can relate to that
I see myself spending a huge amount of time trying to get the best result, I will try simple things first and build up from there.

Im just curious to see the quality that is possible to achieve with this printer, if that goes well Ill be very happy because so far Im spending a lot of money with online print services.
I like the idea that I can take a picture, process it and print it all on my own without counting on anyone's time and goodwill.
By the way it's crazy to think that during analog days you had to actually print your images in order to see them...might sound stupid though!
I remember my father used to wait 2 to 3 weeks to see the results of his photos...seems like and eternity to me....
06-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The printer arrived yesterday, the box was damaged but not that bad, it looked worse on the pictures the seller sent me than actually how it is.
I unboxed and didnt noticed any scratches, hits or anything weird.

Took me 15 mins to set it up and running then I had to install the drivers, softwares etc.
I've also installed Adobe Print Utility as per recommended by José Rodriguez. Works well and did all my Reference charts print test with it.
My Mac OS has then updated the Canon Printer drivers.

Here comes the first issue : my printer has firmware 1.00 and I couldnt update it via their "pinter update" procedure. Im on MAC OSX Sierra using either an Imac or a MacBook Pro. Im following all the steps but the printer is not seen by the utility software via USB.
But I can do prints or tests with the printer while connected by the USB Cable, so communication is definitly working.

I've not installed any of the junk Canon is offering, only the drivers, network utility and Print Studio Pro.

Print Studio Pro installation went well, no errors, but the plugin doesnt appear in either in Lr or Ps. So far I've been not able to use it.

I've took some time to do all the head alignment, nozzle check and reference image tests. No issues, all went fine and I've printed the Reference Image and looked closely to any color shifting etc but Im very impressed by the gamut and color precision of this printer.
Im using 2 calibrated displays (well actualy 3 as my laptop display is also calibrated). A 5K Imac, A 24" DELL IPS 98% Adobe RGB and while the sharpness is amazing on the Imac Screen I find the gamut to be superior with the DELL display.
Im using the X-Rite iDisplay has my calbration tool btw.

So I compared the actual reference prints to both screens and they looks very very close, almost perfect to my eyes. I only noticed some light shift toward magenta in the RED's. My GF who has better eyes said there is also a slight shift in BLUE's toward magenta.
It's looking very minor to me and I've had quiet worst experience with online lab prints. I dare to say that except for some great B&W I ordered on Baryta Papers with Negatif+ in Paris, none of the Lab prints matches so closely my monitors

I have 3 Canon Pro Papers, Platinum, Luster and Matte. I tested them all. Color wise the latter is wayyyy different, with some delibarate shifts in the blacks for example but I love it !
Platinum Pro and Luster (my favorite so far) are gorgeous, and I can see a learning curve here, choosing which paper for which image.

I choosed 3 of my photos and print it with every 3 papers type in A4 size. All best quality.

I use the Soft Proofing in Lr to see how the results would look, had to create a Reference copy for the Matte papers, adding +10 in contrast and +5 in saturation (but after seeing the prints I dont need any boost in saturation).
Then I used the print module, choosed the ICC profile for each paper, either picked relative or perceptual depending on the image soft proofing (I need some more learning here!) and no print adjustment.
I went thru an issue with the Matte Pro Paper giving me an Error code 88 saying the margins are not correctly set if I choosed the Fine art Paper Pro Matte from Canon, I had to choose the regular Matte photo paper instead, weird ! Looked internet but couldnt really understand the cuplrit so far.

One photo is a B&W portrait, one is a Long exposure sunset and the last one is a Vivid Macro shot.
Portrait looks great on Matte and Luster.
Sunset and the macro shots are great on all 3

I can see the paper looks like it's the main responsible for prints rendering, all 3 images or so different in each papers it's amazing.

I can't be more happy with this printer
I will have to watch carefully the ink usage though !