Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Which Printer would you reccomend

I am new to printing and wondering if it is worth buying a printer verses using a lab.
Is there a brand that most of the d-i-y use?
I am guessing that the answers are dependent on the size of the prints, I wouldn't do anything larger than 11x14 or 16x20
Volume is probably another consideration. Now I basically do next to nothing, but guess once you get a printer you would want to use it.
Any thoughts on printing verses a lab and which printer might be a good starting point will be appreciated.

06-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the Canon Pro-100. It will print up to 13 x 19 and has amazing color and print quality. The print head is removable if you ever need to clean it. I have had mine for several years now and have not had any problems at all. You can usually find a rebate deal on these which makes the getting one almost free.
06-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Unregistered User

Ditto for what Ttedders wrote. I've had my Pro-100 for several years and am very pleased with it. One thing to consider is that to print 16x20 you have to go up to a much bigger printer, with bigger and more expensive cartridges. It costs about $120 for a set of Pro-100 ink, some of the bigger printers the ink costs about that much for a single cartridge! If you aren't already printing a lot you'll never get your investment out of it.

When I was working I used a variety of larger Epson printers. They were capable of excellent results but all of them had issues with heads clogging. I've never had a head clog with the Pro-100.

As far as home printing vs. a lab, if you print less than a ten large prints a year, a lab might make more sense. A home printer is also nice to have because you can do other things besides photos - posters, art prints, novelty gifts, etc.,

Last edited by Unregistered User; 06-29-2018 at 06:50 AM.
06-26-2018, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had several different brand of printers. One of my first photo printers was an HP that lasted me 10 years before the color shifted too far to magenta to easily correct. I currently have 4 Epson printers. A Stylus C88 which we converted to Dye Sub for my wifes heat press business, a 640 all in one, also for my wifes work (it has surprisingly professional photo results up to 8x10), I have an all in one for basic business and photo work and an Artisan 1430 which prints up to 13x19.
When I began doing portrait work I only had the HP which was up to 8x10. Larger prints were done for me by my local lab, or I had an on-line lab which could also do "specialty" prints. I would use the on-line lab for large orders, such as when I did school portraits and would need hundreds of prints. The two labs I used were capable of taking files in Jpg, Tiff, and Raw, which was important to me.

The Canon printer mentioned above is a good printer, and I don't think you'd go wrong with it either. As mentioned already, anything larger than 13x19 will require a much different printer at a much higher cost. My Artisan costs me about $120 for all new cartridges. I had looked at the larger printers (48" etc.) and the ink costs are daunting.

Good luck.

06-26-2018, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Hales Quote
I am new to printing and wondering if it is worth buying a printer verses using a lab.
Any thoughts on printing verses a lab and which printer might be a good starting point will be appreciated.
In terms of cost for someone that doesn't print every day or every week, the lab is going to be more economical. Good printers are not cheap, and neither are good photographic inkjet papers and especially the ink. Also many labs run traditional photographic paper or can offer specialized products like metal prints.

With that said, having your own printer gives you control and convenience. I have been using Epson printers for nearly 20 years, and they have been excellent in terms of print quality, printer durability, and ink stability. If I had to pick one printer based on your description I would chose the Epson SureColor P400:

Epson SureColor P400 Inkjet Printer C11CE85201 B&H Photo Video

I am also pleased with the range of papers that Epson markets. My default is the Epson Ultra Premium Luster Photo paper, but depending on the subject, I also like their Enhanced Matte and the Metallic Glossy. They also have a signature series and of course, there are many other excellent brands of paper to chose from that most labs won't offer.
06-26-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I bought a refurbished Epson 3800 several years ago. I don’t print a lot, but I was paying close to $50 for a 16x20 print. It was really bad when I’d print something like a 8”x18” panoramic shot and have to pay for a full 16x20 print.

For me it is key being able to print a smaller 8x10 to check my colors before doing a big print.

I never had any major issues with nozzles plugging on the Epson 3800. I had an Epson RX-595 dye-based printer and had to do some major work to get the print head clean after it sat for a while.

If you want to do serious printing, you want to be able to get print profiles for your combination of paper and printer. Both Epson and Canon are pretty well supported. The HP doesn’t get as much profile support.

I pay about $55 per cartridge but those last a year or two for my printing. One thing that I am careful about is not switching between Mat and Photo ink because the switch consumes lots of ink. I think that was improved with later printer models.

It is great having your own printer if you can afford it. I helped print photos for my friend’s photo exhibit and he was thrilled to be able to proof the images before printing full-sized.
06-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I can see the wisdom of having a printer to at least do a small proof before sending it to a lab 'hoping' your large print comes back like you expected it to.
Most of my printing would be below 16x20 also, so I will check out these suggestions.
Happy shooting.

06-27-2018, 07:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let us know what you end up with and how it works out.
06-27-2018, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon Pro 100 is great but ink adds up real quick
06-27-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Canon Pro 100 is great but ink adds up real quick
Mr Bassie,
Would recommend a different printer?
I think ink is going to be expensive no matter which company.
06-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
At some other different level, I myself have a Canon Pixma Ix6850 (Canon PIXMA iX6850 Review | Trusted Reviews) for two years now and I’m very pleased with it – 5 inks, one black, a A3 office printer that does, in my experience, very good photo prints.

Take care that what one really sends money is Ink (and also paper) – note that I just use Canon ink and paper.