Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #1

Uploading RAW images from SD Card to Computer

I've been shooting my K3 for a couple years now... and have been capturing all my images on two SD cards -- one for JPG and one for RAW+. How do I upload all of the RAW files to the computer (HP laptop)? I don't have a lot of time to do a bunch of post processing, so I've just been using Picasa for all my JPG image uploading/processing... and i'm not sure if Picasa supports RAW or not. My guess is no... Any recommendations/assistance would be appreciated.

06-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use standard Windows cut and paste to take the images off the SD card into a folder(s). This works if you have a card reader in or attached to your PC or if you have the camera attached via USB cable.

Then you have wide choice of RAW editors, both free and fee that will work on the files/folders some of which include organisational abilities for those files and folders.
06-26-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
I use standard Windows cut and paste to take the images off the SD card into a folder(s). This works if you have a card reader in or attached to your PC or if you have the camera attached via USB cable.

Then you have wide choice of RAW editors, both free and fee that will work on the files/folders some of which include organisational abilities for those files and folders.
I'm not sure regarding cut+paste.
I remember someone advising to use copy+paste then delete, because - and I don't know if that's Os-dependent or what - there was a difference in the way the two operations are handled.
Can't remember exactly, but it was something like in cut operations a file is copied, then deleted, then the next file etc. and there was a higher number of accesses that could put more stress on the flash memory.
I apologise in advance if that's incorrect, but it's the best I can remember. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll continue to look for that discussion that I am presently unable to find).
06-26-2018, 12:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ok...thanks... I've explored the problem a little bit further and found out that I can view all the images on my SD Card when I push the "playback" button on the camera; However, when I put the SD card into my computer, I can't see those same pictures on my card at all... oddly enough, all the pictures I can view on the SD card in the camera are JPG...but for whatever reason, I can't view those same pics on my SD Card when I put it in the SD slot on the computer... I'm baffled...

06-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you shoot Raw DNG or PEF? Most systems don’t have the codec for PEF by default.
06-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I remember someone advising to use copy+paste then delete
Idem: I was told to use this .... can't remember why but that's what I've been doing for years now, with no issue.
06-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #7

Original Poster
All the pics I can view on my SD Card while in the camera are JPG's.... but when I put the same SD card in the computer, I can't see any of the pictures when I view the contents of the SD card ...

06-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fleck03 Quote
All the pics I can view on my SD Card while in the camera are JPG's.... but when I put the same SD card in the computer, I can't see any of the pictures when I view the contents of the SD card ...
You can't see the files in Explorer, or can't open them?
If it's the latter, you just need to install PDCU or another RAW viewer/developer.
06-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
You can't see the files in Explorer, or can't open them?
If it's the latter, you just need to install PDCU or another RAW viewer/developer.
When I put the SD card in the computer, I can't see the JPG files through Explorer at all...but I can view all the pics when the SD card is in the camera...

at first I thought it was a RAW issue, but the pics are all JPG images....
06-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Looks like the computer can't read the card properly, try copying them from the camera with the USB cable.
06-26-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Yeah... I can’t find the USB cable... ughh...
06-26-2018, 01:26 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok. I have two SD cards that gave me this issue. The only way to get the photos to the computer was with the USB cable, and it didn't matter whether it was jpg or raw files. It wasn't worth the hassle and I bought new cards.
06-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always copy/paste the files from the SD card to the PC. Once I'm certain the files are copied, only then do I reformat the SD card. I never "delete" files from the card - this can create problems. FWIW I use a USB card reader.
06-26-2018, 02:27 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cut + Paste can lose files easier than copy + paste if there is any interruption in the copy process. That alone is a good reason to use copy+paste or an import program that verifies files before deleting.

---------- Post added 06-26-18 at 05:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I always copy/paste the files from the SD card to the PC. Once I'm certain the files are copied, only then do I reformat the SD card. I never "delete" files from the card - this can create problems. FWIW I use a USB card reader.
Correct. Deleting files can leave fragmented space. Deleting files is more likely to lead to minor file system corruption. But if you only need to remove a few - don't hesitate the loss of functionality isn't worth the extra steps in most cases. Generally format, but don't say NEVER for erasure.
06-26-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fleck03 Quote
I've been shooting my K3 for a couple years now... and have been capturing all my images on two SD cards -- one for JPG and one for RAW+. How do I upload all of the RAW files to the computer (HP laptop)? I don't have a lot of time to do a bunch of post processing, so I've just been using Picasa for all my JPG image uploading/processing... and i'm not sure if Picasa supports RAW or not. My guess is no... Any recommendations/assistance would be appreciated.
The easiest would be to copy the files from the SD card to a folder on the computer using your OS's file manager. Since you are splitting the files, you'd have to copy from both cards.

It might be easier just to store both file formats on one card, therefore.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: