Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microsoft Edge (Win10) update in June 2018 .... computer is slow.

Has anyone find that, since the recent Edge update -- KB4284835 -- it slowed down the computer "speed" quite a bit?
Anyway, I am now browsing via Chrome, which seems a lot faster anyway.

06-29-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Firefox did an update this week and now all the Web sites are jerky.

Steve
06-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MS lured me into that download. It did nothing to the speed or anything else on my machine. I have dumped it. Chrome has served well (so far).
06-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just did the (seemingly obligatory) big Win10 update. I had to reinstall the drivers for every peripheral on my machine, including USB3.0 external HDD. I thought HP Laser printers and an Epson MFP was bad enough - but USB external drives?

I scan on a non-connected XPPro machine and SD Card the files to my ‘big’ machine. Bulletproof.

.:

P.S. still using Firefox & DuckDuckGo. Google knows enough about me as it is.

06-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I've changed over to Linux (for the most part) I still have to deal with the Windows thing daily at work. Every update brings it's own new problems. Once we get them all fixed, we get another Windows update and start all over again.
06-29-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Firefox did an update this week and now all the Web sites are jerky.
My Firefox did the update too but have not noticed any issues with performance. But I'm still running Window 7, so it may be a Win10 thing.
06-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're running the Pro version, set your updates to "deferred" and push them out as far as possible. That way, if M$ delivers a typical dud, you have half a hope that it will get corrected by the time they finally ram it down your throat. You can tell I'm another fan of the Microsquish Win 10 update approach.

06-29-2018, 10:33 PM   #8

Don't know, don't use Edge in Win 10. I've been getting SSL errors up the wazoo with Firefox and Google related sites.
07-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The problem has been solved from the laptop under Win10 ... (Edge): I am now using Chrome for everything.
It's still there but, unused.
Speed has been "recovered"
As far the home PC ... good old Win7.

Last edited by jpzk; 07-02-2018 at 07:11 PM.
07-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Doing well in Opera despite half my websites urging me to switch to an approved browser.

Adblocker is working fine, no wonder sites are sad
07-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
If you're running the Pro version, set your updates to "deferred" and push them out as far as possible. That way, if M$ delivers a typical dud, you have half a hope that it will get corrected by the time they finally ram it down your throat. You can tell I'm another fan of the Microsquish Win 10 update approach.
Your advice was too late for me, I ended up "resetting" Windows 10 on the machine I have Lightroom installed on, and I still have over 30 applications (I use real computer programs, not cute apps!) to reinstall. The cumulative update for June wouldn't install, which didn't prevent the Feature update from trying to install, which also failed. Every time I woke up my computer, it would try to install failed updates, which led to attempting a restart, which only made it as far as shutting down the computer. Then I had to do a fresh boot, which tried again to install the failed updates, but eventually it gave up and left me a useless message in the Notifications area. Then everything worked until my computer went to sleep and waking it led to the same pointless sequence of events. Argggg!
07-02-2018, 09:05 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Argggg!
I feel your pain. I've got a machine up in my office I have setup to boot a variety of operating systems. The Win 10 Pro side has decided to lock itself onto a full screen privacy settings page on boot/login, and you can't get it to close nor even get a working task manager to come up. No combination of things like ALT+F4 etc. gets me anywhere. Earlier tonight decided to boot it into safe mode and not long afterwards had to tend to the dog, and then happily got distracted doing something more productive elsewhere.
07-06-2018, 07:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All in all this "Edge" thing has really put everyone on the edge !
07-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
All in all this "Edge" thing has really put everyone on the edge !
Ouch!