Photos: Gallery | Albums
Notebook for Photo Editing and not MacBook

HP ENVY, Dell XPS?

Other options?

07-05-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had very good experiences with HP's higher end machines. As for the budget offerings - not so much.
07-05-2018, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Dell XPS. I have a 15" for work and it's fairly powerful (i7, GTX1050, 16GB) and has a high res infinity edge display. The 13" model is also very good if you want something more portable.
07-05-2018, 03:03 AM   #4

I haye a Surface Pro 4 (i5 with 4gb ram, but its enough for K3 and KP files) that i sometimes use to PP some images when i do not to sit at my computer desk. It jas a high res display(a big - is that my version of PS and LR do not scale the text so it is very small) with touch-screen. There is also a surface book or whatever its called that is more of a laptop than a tablet with keyboard. The bad part is that they cost quite a lot.

07-05-2018, 03:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Recent Dell laptops are notorious for the rubber gasket thing around the screen coming loose. I had one for a couple of years and it happened. Colleagues with Dells had the the same issue.

In my experience, Lenovos are the most solid mechanically. I have had two. The P50 that I am typing this on is powerful and has excellent battery life. It is a touch heavy but that big battery and sturdy case would not be possible otherwise. No stupid rubber around the screen to come loose, either.

I still miss an HP I had some years ago. It had a 17" full HD screen, something that is not seen much any more.

All of the above were supplied by employers. A Packard Bell that I bought with my own money gave many years of faithful service until my daughter started using it.
07-05-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use an HP ENVY 17, bought new about five or six years ago. It has an i7-4700MQ processor, GT740M graphics card, came with 8GB RAM and 1TB HDD but I've since upgraded that to 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD.

As laptops go, it's a very quick machine. The screen is nice for editing, although like many laptops the default colour profile was *way* too blue, so profiling with a colorimeter is pretty much essential if you want to view and edit photos accurately.

I used to use Windows 10 with Lightroom 6, and that ran quickly, with no performance problems. I've since moved to Linux Mint 18.3 and a suite of library management and photo development tools including Darktable 2.4.4. It runs like the wind with these
07-05-2018, 04:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe a System 76 Laptops - System76

I'd like one, one day, but for now a desktop suits me.
07-05-2018, 04:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Lenovo t450 with upgraded memory and an SSD. This old workforce gets the job done with my k-3 and DXO photolab elite.

07-05-2018, 05:03 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
HP ENVY, Dell XPS?

Other options?
I am replying on my Dell XPS 13 that I carry with me whenever I travel. It is fully capable of running Lightroom and Photoshop, although I only use it for the former at this time. It is equipped with an Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of ram, 500 GB SSD and a touch screen. You may be better with touch screens than I am, but I find a mouse much more precise for editing, although the touch screen is convenient when browsing or doing email, documents or spreadsheets. The laptop is in a metal case and does NOT have a rubber gasket that another responder commented on.

I have had this for about a year and a half and am very happy with it!

Last edited by lsimpkins; 07-05-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: clarity
07-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
Other options?
Asus is pretty good.
I bought this last year or so.
ASUS-6: grispie: Galleries: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review
07-05-2018, 07:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by veato Quote
Dell XPS. I have a 15" for work and it's fairly powerful (i7, GTX1050, 16GB) and has a high res infinity edge display. The 13" model is also very good if you want something more portable.
I have both of those too. The 13 is a little slow for heavy tasks but the 15 is up to almost anything I want to do.
07-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I may be a bit spoiled, but I wouldn't buy a computer unless it has an SDD for a boot/app drive (even something as small as 128mb can work, but once you get used to the speeds you'll want more space for sure). I'm too impatient for my computer to take forever to boot up and load Lightroom/Photoshop.

Lightroom also craves high processing speed and a good bit of ram too.. especially if you do a lot of adjustment brush or spot removals.

Might also be noteworthy that, although Adobe says they're working on it, currently Lightroom does not utilize GPU to help the CPU out. So some money can be saved there..

Last edited by FozzFoster; 07-05-2018 at 09:51 AM.
07-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have HP Zbook(32GB) and Lenovo P50(Xeon 28GB). OS is Ubuntu. Both these laptops are sold as 'Mobile Workstations', so buy a 'Mobile Workstations'. Even DELL has a 'Mobile Workstations'. I keep DNG files on non-SSD external hard drive. I think the efficiency of the software is key.

Here is an example for efficiency. I use PtGUI for stitching. It is able to take 10 dng files and stitch a panorama in less than a minute. DNG files are kept on non-SSD External hard drive. Additionally PtGUI is written for Win7, but the OS on my machine is Ubuntu. So PtGui runs inside WINE and is not using GPU. In spite of all these bridging PtGUI gives fast results. So efficiency of the s/w matters a lot.

Choose s/w where company's sole product is just the image editor. Such companies focus all their energy on one software. I would stay away from s/w written by large companies (like Adobe). Large companies tend to integrate their s/w with 10-other sister-products at the cost of performance.

Last edited by pentaxfall; 07-05-2018 at 10:59 AM.
07-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the Dell XPS

I'm using a two year old one, i5/ 16gb/ 1TB HD and 256mb SSD, FHD IPS display (about as important as the processor IMO) that I paid less than $700 for. Still very fit for purpose. Keep an eye out on Amazon Warehouse deals.

Last edited by gatorguy; 07-05-2018 at 11:06 AM.
07-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Another vote for the Dell XPS

I'm using a two year old one, i5/ 16gb/ 1TB HD and 256mb SSD, FHD IPS display (about as important as the processor IMO) that I paid less than $700 for. Still very fit for purpose. Keep an eye out on Amazon Warehouse deals.
Yes the XPS 13 2in1 is all SSD and the older XPS I have is ssd boot plus 1t hd.