Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-07-2018, 03:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silkypix advice please

I have been using Lightzone for quite some time but I would like to move to something with more features.

I only have occasional bursts of post processing so its not going to be worked to death.

I have tried practically every piece of non subscription software available and finally made up my mind on Silkypix.

There is a special offer on at the moment with the standard version at yen 6800 and the pro at 16800 from looking at the comparison features chart it seems to me that the standard version does pretty much everything that the pro does with just a few exceptions.

So the question is, is it worth buying the pro version for occasional use, is there something that doesn't show up in the features/comparisons, say like it runs twice as fast or doesn't crash or do something very much better.

Thank you.

07-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
I have been using Lightzone for quite some time but I would like to move to something with more features.

I only have occasional bursts of post processing so its not going to be worked to death.

I have tried practically every piece of non subscription software available and finally made up my mind on Silkypix.

There is a special offer on at the moment with the standard version at yen 6800 and the pro at 16800 from looking at the comparison features chart it seems to me that the standard version does pretty much everything that the pro does with just a few exceptions.

So the question is, is it worth buying the pro version for occasional use, is there something that doesn't show up in the features/comparisons, say like it runs twice as fast or doesn't crash or do something very much better.

Thank you.
The differences have been shortening. That said, I find myself using the partial correction tool a lot. The chart seems to say that the HDR slider is now available in standard. That was not always true and is something I use a lot to bring out details in shadow. Might check on that point for sure if that is something you see yourself wanting to do that.

Silkypix is an acquired taste. In particular, you have to become accustomed to parsing Japanglish. I like it a lot, however. And since they provide the software for Pentax DCU, they have good information from Pentax on advanced Pentax features like pixel shift.

Last edited by jgnfld; 07-07-2018 at 04:57 AM.
07-07-2018, 05:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The differences have been shortening. That said, I find myself using the partial correction tool a lot. The chart seems to say that the HDR slider is now available in standard. That was not always true and is something I use a lot to bring out details in shadow. Might check on that point for sure if that is something you see yourself wanting to do that.

Silkypix is an acquired taste. In particular, you have to become accustomed to parsing Japanglish. I like it a lot, however. And since they provide the software for Pentax DCU, they have good information from Pentax on advanced Pentax features like pixel shift.
Yes I could not see that much difference, I'll check the HDR slider thank you for that.

I figured that it would be quite good for Pentax because of the connection.

I had noticed the Japanglish, its not too bad.

Thank you.
07-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Yes I could not see that much difference, I'll check the HDR slider thank you for that.

I figured that it would be quite good for Pentax because of the connection.

I had noticed the Japanglish, its not too bad.

Thank you.
I have used Silkypix for many years and am now using Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 7.

it is a raw converter with a lot of depth. There is a reasonable learning curve, but you can click on the ? icons and it brings up the relevant part of the manual very quickly. There are many presets so you can save a number of settings and very quickly batch process dozens of pictures. One of the things I like is if I change a lot of settings to get the first image of a set of pictures correct, you can simply use copy/paste command to apply those settings to the rest.

Remember this is a raw converter, not a cataloguing program. The HDR slider mentioned above is extremely useful.

Why not give it a try for free?

07-07-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote

Remember this is a raw converter, not a cataloguing program. The HDR slider mentioned above is extremely useful.

Why not give it a try for free?
Thank you.

I absolutely do not want a cataloguing program, I want to be able to find things where I put them in my own filing system or un-system as it may be.

My 8 Pro free trial ran out before I could have a proper look at it, I was side tracked onto something else, it was only when I started looking at the free trial standard version of 8 that I realised how similar they were and started to wonder if I really needed the pro version.
07-07-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Developer Pro 7 and have used it occasionally but the problem comes with finding time to really learn the program. I, like many others, am just so familiar with LR that in a pinch I tend to go there because I can get it done more easily. I am sure some time with Developer Pro 7 would get me to the same place but I am lazy, I guess.
07-07-2018, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I have the Developer Pro 7 and have used it occasionally but the problem comes with finding time to really learn the program. I, like many others, am just so familiar with LR that in a pinch I tend to go there because I can get it done more easily. I am sure some time with Developer Pro 7 would get me to the same place but I am lazy, I guess.
As I will be doing pp at irregular intervals I want to steer clear of subscription programs that could be idle for quite some time.

07-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #8
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I purchased Silkypix 8 Pro there was (and is) a special upgrade price from DCU users. Maybe this is also available in Ireland?
07-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the specials are available everywhere. Go to their site and check.