Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NVIDIA uses AI to remove noise and watermarks

This is well worth a read and the 1:20s to watch the video: AI Can Now Fix Your Grainy Photos by Only Looking at Grainy Photos - NVIDIA Developer News CenterNVIDIA Developer News Center

I wonder when the benefits of this research will end up in something we can access? For removing noise only is what I'm thinking, but we all know what the less than savoury types will be doing.

Tas

6 Days Ago   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fascinating - thanks for posting the link!

Like you, I'd be very interested in the noise reduction aspect.

If it really works as well as the examples suggest, I can see software providers and camera companies being very interested in that technology...
6 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of many areas where I think machine learning will change things quite a bit in the time to come. We're just starting to see what's possible.

Thanks for the link!
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Amazing technology that would be a big help for those times when you really need a clean image in lower light than your sensor can handle.

But what I really wish is that camera makers would start working on improving the quality of noise rather than just reducing the quantity. There was a time when photographers would push films like Tri-X for no other reason than that they wanted to use the resulting grain as an expressive tool, and the results could be beautiful. If only there was some way to make digital sensors give a nice moody, grainy look when pushed instead of just horrible noise. I know you can add film grain in PP if you're that way inclined, but I've never managed to get a look that I really liked from doing that.

As for being able to remove watermarks. No. Just no.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Fascinating - thanks for posting the link!

Like you, I'd be very interested in the noise reduction aspect.

If it really works as well as the examples suggest, I can see software providers and camera companies being very interested in that technology...
From the source page, it requires multiple Tesla P100 on at least a desktop PC if not in a rack. That is a huge power draw (and expensive all around). So I think it is more just a means to market (and sell) their hardware... for now.

The result is still rather smeary yet interesting for such a noisy source. Perhaps this has more likelihood of being adopted in high-dollar business use than consumer products? I think so. That said as savoche says, this is just the start.

Which makes me wonder when we will no longer use photographic or video evidence as proof of something because it will become too easy to fake? We can strip complex watermarks, rebuild data in images that is missing, denoise heavily noisy images so how long before we can just replace people realistically in image and video? We're really close... really really close.

This seems cool to the photog because it means theoretically more capability in getting shots or restoring old ones. But I'm more concerned long term for society that has far greater technology than it has morality..

Think of AI/machine learning crafting believable video of politician making shady deals that never actually happened... people involved in illicit relationships that never happened. Adobe is working on this already (along with Nvidia) with the ability to swap faces of anyone on video. It is pretty incredible.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had wondered if a simpler version of this is what is being done in the K-1 Mk2.
Nvidia is known for making graphics accelerator chips. Which, it turns out, are extremely good at certain kinds of AI tasks, as can be seen in the link.

Pentax has branded the new chip as an "accelerator chip" and it's doing some noise reduction so it seems to me not a bad connection to make.

As for the watermarks, someone skilled with PS can get rid of those already. Unfortunately, AI tech will make it easier. Probably no way around this particular march of technology. Ultimately I suspect we'll need to have some kind of non-visible encrypted signature or blockchain link to prove creation and ownership over images and video.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Does it eat stars? {snicker}
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
From the source page, it requires multiple Tesla P100 on at least a desktop PC if not in a rack. That is a huge power draw (and expensive all around). So I think it is more just a means to market (and sell) their hardware... for now.
Or to sell the technology to Adobe, who will run it on their servers for processing their users' images in the cloud.

5 Days Ago   #9

Photos: Gallery
Interesting

Thanks for sharing
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This seems a long way from practical in camera implementation.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This seems a long way from practical in camera implementation.
It's a long way from home computer implementation too - it needs some significant power. The best likelihood is for cloud computing...upload image, wait, download finished product...which could be in-camera using wi-fi or 4G to send and receive, but probably easiest with a cloud-enabled PP app, or an online service.
5 Days Ago   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
It's a long way from home computer implementation too - it needs some significant power. The best likelihood is for cloud computing...upload image, wait, download finished product...which could be in-camera using wi-fi or 4G to send and receive, but probably easiest with a cloud-enabled PP app, or an online service.
I imagine some would be interested in such a service but i am unimpressed with the need.