Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2018, 02:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
If you use the Topaz Studio plugins they take you into Topaz Studio. The plugins show up separately in Affinity as well as a Topaz Studio specific plugin, but they all take you directly into Topaz Studio.
What if you don't have Studio installed? The plugins still work?

07-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Topaz Studio is free, so you can at least take a look at that angle easily:

Download Topaz Software – Topaz Labs
07-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #18
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AndyB Quote
If you use the Topaz Studio plugins they take you into Topaz Studio. The plugins show up separately in Affinity as well as a Topaz Studio specific plugin, but they all take you directly into Topaz Studio.
I think there is some confusion.

I thought we were discussing the Topaz standalone Photoshop plugins which do NOT take you into Topaz Studio and are not a part of Topaz Studio?

These are two different technologies, two different installations, and two different purchases (the PS plugins and Topaz Studio). Before TS there were just the individual photoshop plugins. And they work just like that.. as individual photoshop plugins. At least here they do (windows 10, 64-bit Topaz PS plugins)

I have Remask 5 and Detail 3 (non-Topaz Studio) and they both work the same, you select them individually from the Filters menu and then Plugins submenu, the gui for the plugin itself (not topaz studio) opens, you make you adjustments click OK, and it takes you back to your image.

Last edited by mee; 07-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.
07-13-2018, 08:53 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm confused. I'm also not an Affinity user, but interested in the product. I do have some Topaz plugins and Topaz Studio. From Topaz, I read this:

Accessing Topaz in Affinity Photo ? Topaz Studio Help Center

Important information about Affinity Photo setup:

1. Serif's Affinity Photo editor is ONLY supported in Topaz Studio & In Studio products (Clarity in Studio, Detail in Studio, Impression in Studio, etc.). Note: Classic products that have not been updated to In Studio versions are not supported (InFocus, Lens Effects, ReStyle, etc.)
  2. On Mac, you MUST configure the Plugin Support Folders section to use the Authorize Global option. Failure to configure this item will result in an inability to access your plugins. This is not required for Windows users!
  3. On both Mac and Windows, you MUST enable this option for your plugins to work in Affinity Photo: Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used

07-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Topaz Studio is free, so you can at least take a look at that angle easily:

Download Topaz Software Topaz Labs
Yeah I've checked (have installed) Topaz Studio already, I also own the stand alone plugins (Clarity, Clean 3, Adjust 5, Black & White Effects and Simplify). My first impression of Studio wasn't that great tbh, so I just stuck with the plugins and ignored Studio. I would simply like to know if Affinity will take you to the stand alone plugins or push/force you down the Studio route (which if I understand correctly you can still access the plugins from there).

I thought we were discussing the Topaz standalone Photoshop plugins which do NOT take you into Topaz Studio and are not a part of Topaz Studio?

These are two different technologies, two different installations, and two different purchases (the PS plugins and Topaz Studio). Before TS there were just the individual photoshop plugins. And they work just like that.. as individual photoshop plugins. At least here they do (windows 10, 64-bit Topaz PS plugins)

I have Remask 5 and Detail 3 (non-Topaz Studio) and they both work the same, you select them individually from the Filters menu and then Plugins submenu, the gui for the plugin itself (not topaz studio) opens, you make you adjustments click OK, and it takes you back to your image.
Yeah this is where the confusion is, and I think perhaps different members are getting different results from having different installations of Affinity/PS and their plugins. It might be that if you install the plugins and affinity today you get pushed down Studio's throat.

I sincerely hope Topaz standalone plugins (like yours, with their own GUI) work in Affinity and not as I am currently led to believe opened via Studio. You give me hope!

I'm confused. I'm also not an Affinity user, but interested in the product. I do have some Topaz plugins and Topaz Studio. From Topaz, I read this:

Accessing Topaz in Affinity Photo ? Topaz Studio Help Center

Important information about Affinity Photo setup:

1. Serif's Affinity Photo editor is ONLY supported in Topaz Studio & In Studio products (Clarity in Studio, Detail in Studio, Impression in Studio, etc.). Note: Classic products that have not been updated to In Studio versions are not supported (InFocus, Lens Effects, ReStyle, etc.)
  2. On Mac, you MUST configure the Plugin Support Folders section to use the Authorize Global option. Failure to configure this item will result in an inability to access your plugins. This is not required for Windows users!
  3. On both Mac and Windows, you MUST enable this option for your plugins to work in Affinity Photo: Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used
Yeah I read this too.
07-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #21
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Yeah I've checked (have installed) Topaz Studio already, I also own the stand alone plugins (Clarity, Clean 3, Adjust 5, Black & White Effects and Simplify). My first impression of Studio wasn't that great tbh, so I just stuck with the plugins and ignored Studio. I would simply like to know if Affinity will take you to the stand alone plugins or push/force you down the Studio route (which if I understand correctly you can still access the plugins from there).

Yeah this is where the confusion is, and I think perhaps different members are getting different results from having different installations of Affinity/PS and their plugins. It might be that if you install the plugins and affinity today you get pushed down Studio's throat.

I sincerely hope Topaz standalone plugins (like yours, with their own GUI) work in Affinity and not as I am currently led to believe opened via Studio. You give me hope!

Yeah I read this too.

Well... after directing AP to my Topaz plugin folders (x64 versions) and checking the box to allow 'unknown' plugins to load, they do. just like any other normal PS plugin. At least Remask and Detail. Those are the only two I own from Topaz.

Looks like maybe the Studio software they offer is a bit different? not sure since I don't use that, just their 'classic' PS plugins.

I will say AP requires a bit of getting used to if you are familiar with PS. Some things are handled differently... there are a TON of free, company made mini tutorials on vimeo or one of the vid sharing sites. There is a link somewhere on the AP website to them.. or maybe a quick google vid search. In the past that has helped when I know what I want to do but don't know how accomplish that in AP. FYI
07-13-2018, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well... after directing AP to my Topaz plugin folders (x64 versions) and checking the box to allow 'unknown' plugins to load, they do. just like any other normal PS plugin. At least Remask and Detail. Those are the only two I own from Topaz.

Looks like maybe the Studio software they offer is a bit different? not sure since I don't use that, just their 'classic' PS plugins.

I will say AP requires a bit of getting used to if you are familiar with PS. Some things are handled differently... there are a TON of free, company made mini tutorials on vimeo or one of the vid sharing sites. There is a link somewhere on the AP website to them.. or maybe a quick google vid search. In the past that has helped when I know what I want to do but don't know how accomplish that in AP. FYI
Thanks again.

Well AP won't give me another trial, so I will have to buy and try (and have 14 days to file for a refund should that be the case). My only last real question is if AP can do 'stacking' like Photoshop. For example I made this image yesterday in PS;

This shot is managed by having the camera on the tripod, the girl holding the frame is one shot, the next shot I ask for her to get out of the way of the shot completely, and take that shot. Then I can stack the two images ontop of one another, rub out/delete the legs carefully to reveal the other frame that was taken (when no one was in the shot). This kind of masking is handy to have, I know LR can't do this sorta thing, I wonder if AP can?
07-14-2018, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This kind of masking is handy to have, I know LR can't do this sorta thing, I wonder if AP can?
Yes, AF has a stacking function.

07-14-2018, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #24
mee
Pentaxian

Thanks again.

Well AP won't give me another trial, so I will have to buy and try (and have 14 days to file for a refund should that be the case). My only last real question is if AP can do 'stacking' like Photoshop. For example I made this image yesterday in PS;

This shot is managed by having the camera on the tripod, the girl holding the frame is one shot, the next shot I ask for her to get out of the way of the shot completely, and take that shot. Then I can stack the two images ontop of one another, rub out/delete the legs carefully to reveal the other frame that was taken (when no one was in the shot). This kind of masking is handy to have, I know LR can't do this sorta thing, I wonder if AP can?
You mean layers? oh yes it supports layers.

It also does actual stacking too... has it's own menu option and the ability to automatically align your images (if you want).

It also does Panoramas, HDR merges, and a bunch of blend modes (on layers). You can also perform masks, non-destructive (live) filters, and all the other general tasks PS can perform.

I'd say it is the most complete PS replacement on the market today (even if it isn't what I'd say 'perfect').
07-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks again.

It has that capability. I've used the layers when creating Christmas cards. I can never remember how to do this, so I always have to watch the tutorials ( again and again)

https://vimeo.com/channels/affinityphoto

But for something like your photo, you could probably just use the inpainting brush. Paint over what you want removed, and done.

It will take some getting used to, and practice to unlearn your other software. Even though you may become frustrated at times thinking ' this would only take 5 min in this software'.

I had to uninstall my Aftershot, just so I could learn AF.

I also like the free updates to the software, and it's mine. No monthly rental fee.
07-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sincerely hope Topaz standalone plugins (like yours, with their own GUI) work in Affinity and not as I am currently led to believe opened via Studio.
Even if you have to go through Topaz Studio, it's easy enough. As you know since you have Studio and some plugins, you just activate them within Studio.

I need to spend more time figuring out Studio. I find opening a RAW with it is so flat that I haven't even begun to breath some life into them without a lot of work, and I'm not really interested in someone else's presets. I'd like to have it use the profile as shot by the camera, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Need to contact their support. This has all left me with a screwy workflow where I use either DCU or Lightroom to export a Tiff from the RAW and then using that in Studio so I have a baseline to start from that's not completely at ground zero.
07-14-2018, 04:48 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Yes, AF has a stacking function.
Cool.

You mean layers? oh yes it supports layers.

It also does actual stacking too... has it's own menu option and the ability to automatically align your images (if you want).

It also does Panoramas, HDR merges, and a bunch of blend modes (on layers). You can also perform masks, non-destructive (live) filters, and all the other general tasks PS can perform.

I'd say it is the most complete PS replacement on the market today (even if it isn't what I'd say 'perfect').
Excellent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
It has that capability. I've used the layers when creating Christmas cards. I can never remember how to do this, so I always have to watch the tutorials ( again and again)

Affinity Photo on Vimeo

But for something like your photo, you could probably just use the inpainting brush. Paint over what you want removed, and done.

It will take some getting used to, and practice to unlearn your other software. Even though you may become frustrated at times thinking ' this would only take 5 min in this software'.

I had to uninstall my Aftershot, just so I could learn AF.

I also like the free updates to the software, and it's mine. No monthly rental fee.
I get that. My dad used to be an independent one man army software developer (music notation), he however charged his existing clients a minimal fee for updates (like $5-10 etc), or they can stay on the same version they owned (without the new features, bug fixes were different). He rolled out a significant update perhaps yearly. His software however wasn't wildly known, a small base of fans he relied on, had it had real global success I no doubt believe he would waiver update fees. Thing is, when people called the business line for support they spoke directly to him, and I think they loved that, he would be very patient and help them with all their queries personally. It wasn't a major success but it was successful enough to keep him afloat for over a decade or so till eventually he sold the business and retired. Just googling now to see if the chap that bought the business off him managed any better, sadly nope, he seems to have ceased trading. Shame, death of a dream and all that lol; Music Publisher – Professional notation software

I no doubt believe Photoshop is probably more capable then most of the other cheaper stand alone photo editor programs out there, I'm not sure you really get to buy PS outright anymore, I think you can but it's tricky and does cost over $1k etc, so when comparing a program that costs $55 to something over a grand... then even if it's missing out on a few features that I barely know about in PS (and may never get around to using), that's still a huge bonus in terms of value for a product.

Even if you have to go through Topaz Studio, it's easy enough. As you know since you have Studio and some plugins, you just activate them within Studio.

I need to spend more time figuring out Studio. I find opening a RAW with it is so flat that I haven't even begun to breath some life into them without a lot of work, and I'm not really interested in someone else's presets. I'd like to have it use the profile as shot by the camera, but I haven't figured out how to do that. Need to contact their support. This has all left me with a screwy workflow where I use either DCU or Lightroom to export a Tiff from the RAW and then using that in Studio so I have a baseline to start from that's not completely at ground zero.
Yes, I think this is what could be done. Worse case scenario you could do AP>Topaz Studio>Plugin Launch (apply affect)>Topaz Studio (Save)>Return to AP. At least I think this is what could be done in theory. I'm hoping I can do this;

AP(make a duplicate layer)>Topaz Plugins(apply affect, not bother with masking here), Save>Return to AP and use the Layer and Masking tools to be selective with the effect.

That's the flow I had with PS. I don't know why but the brush strokes and what not were laggier in the Topaz Plugin than using PS brush directly, I also found I could be quicker with more brush control in PS.

Well, I think I'll buy it today, and start my 14 day satisfaction trial with it
07-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I think I'll buy it today, and start my 14 day satisfaction trial with it
Interested to see what you think. Do you have any test images picked out to try specific tasks on? I've been surprised by the differences in highlight recovery capabilities between programs in the little I've started to look at.
07-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interested to see what you think. Do you have any test images picked out to try specific tasks on? I've been surprised by the differences in highlight recovery capabilities between programs in the little I've started to look at.
None yet, I'll keep my Adobe subscriptions along with AF for awhile till I fully abandon ship. I don't want to promise a client a certain look I have made for myself without being able to deliver said look/quality. So until I master it and can fully jump ship I'll keep the two going. I am really motivated to do the swap however, $15/month is $180/yr!
07-15-2018, 06:18 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am really motivated to do the swap however, $15/month is $180/yr!
I'm with you on this one. It really stings that I bought the desktop version of Lr having read that it would be supported indefinitely to then have them pull the subscription model to get any enhancements, which I believe will means no new camera support either. I had been checking out After Shot Pro 3, but after working on the same photo in AF3 and then going to Lr, I discovered highlights that looked blown out in AF3 were there in Lr. Ugh! So now poking at other programs, trying to figure out what sequence of evals to hit, but still using Lr but not wanting to invest much more time in a product that is going to hit me up monthly forever. And yes, I'd be happy to pay for a new 7.x version priced like the 6 version because that lets me upgrade at my pace when I deem the features are worth it for my scenario. The monthly model really irks me, especially knowing that price hikes seem inevitable. I think I can still get the Lr Ps bundle for $9.99/month here, but as I look around, I have no confidence that will persist. On one hand it is attractive because they are both good programs and the standalone version of Ps was pricey, but this does add up, and if it's like the cable TV companies, this is just going to keep going - I can see the $19.99/month hike coming.