Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

LensFun XML guide?

I've just started producing lens calibration data for some of my lenses using Hugin's Calibrate Lens tool, and I'd now like to patch the relevant XML files locally to include the new lenses. Although I can sort of figure out what's required by looking at the existing XML, I'd like to be sure I'm doing it correctly. I understand that there used to be a manual written by Andrew Zabolotny at http://lensfun.sourceforge.net/manual/database.html, but it seems that's no longer available (I'm getting a 404 error). Does anyone have a copy of the manual, or alternatively, could someone explain to me exactly what's required?

Any help would, as always, be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by BigMackCam; 07-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.
07-12-2018, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is this the XML doc you're looking for? It's linked from the API doc on the lens fun sourceforge page. Just guessing, haven't worked with lensfun before.

lensfun: Database file format
07-12-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Is this the XML doc you're looking for? It's linked from the API doc on the lens fun sourceforge page. Just guessing, haven't worked with lensfun before.

lensfun: Database file format
That's a big help - thank you!

I can figure out most of what I need to do from that... the only thing (I think) that I'm missing is how to map and/or calculate a, b, c values in Hugin to the k1, k2 etc. values in the XML... I'm guessing that a=k1, b=k2, etc... but something tells me that's too simple and logical to be correct
07-12-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, Mike. If I remember my uni math courses right, k is a universal shorthand for a coefficient. So your assumption is likely correct. I read recently where one of the lens correction developers is throwing in the towel re. trying to stay on top of including new lenses in the hardcoded lookup tables. Instead they have allowed users to define their own lenses locally that will be scanned and loaded during instantiation. Can't remember if this was lensfun or exiv2 but I can certainly see their point given the plethora of lenses out there with similar and confusing definitions. I assume there will be a way to also pull in matching lens corrections. - Jack

07-12-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Found this other page too after my first post, seems to be closer to what you wanted (guide on using hugin and lensfun), it mentions how to fill in values for different corrections.

Adding new lenses to the database
12-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would you be willing to share your lensfun entries with other forum members?