Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

DigiKam losing exif info from K3 images

I use DigiKam to organize my photographs and have been using a K3 almost exclusively. Whenever I do a batch resize (or saving any changes I think) I lose all the exif data. It is really annoying, especially when rotation data is lost. I haven't gone back and tried with my K20D, but I noticed the exif data wasn't lost with images from my wife's canon point and shoot. I haven't had a chance to look into it but thought I'd see if anyone else has had similar problems with DigiKam or other software.

07-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hm, interesting. Up until recently, I used to use Faststone for some final tweaking - until I discovered that it stripped out the K-3II’s GPS location data.
07-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can use exiftool to restore the data by copying it over from the original file, if you keep it around. That's what I would recommend, as then you don't have to give up your favorite photo editor.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We could use a list of software that regularly strips exif.

07-18-2018, 12:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Adam.
07-18-2018, 06:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can use exiftool to restore the data by copying it over from the original file, if you keep it around. That's what I would recommend, as then you don't have to give up your favorite photo editor.
Thanks Adam, I might try that.
10-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #7

Original Poster
I filed a bug report with the exif library digikam uses and now with the newer releases it does work. I think 6.0 had the fix.

10-24-2019, 02:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the update, Dr.T. I've been thinking about digiKam so I might have a look.