Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2018, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can't View Photos

I can't find either of my original CD's that came with our camera's K-5 and K-30 I just want to view my old Pentax PEF photo's on my back-up drives. I tried to get them from Pentax web site but they won't install without the disk that came with my cameras. We were going to move so allot of my stuff is still in storage. Can anyone help?
Thanks

07-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I can't find either of my original CD's that came with our camera's K-5 and K-30 I just want to view my old Pentax PEF photo's on my back-up drives. I tried to get them from Pentax web site but they won't install without the disk that came with my cameras. We were going to move so allot of my stuff is still in storage. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Do you have a Mac?
07-20-2018, 08:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Win 7 and 10
07-20-2018, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You mean view them in something like Explorer? (you didn't mention OS, so that will matter).

If you aren't trying to actually edit the photos, you have a few options.

1) Find a codec for PEF files (google is a friend on this one). Be sure to reference your OS (include version and be careful of whether your OS is 32 bit or 64 bit).
* Since you noted OS, I would note Microsoft used to have codecs you could download, and Ricoh has some. Just watch for 32 vs 64. FastPictureViewer has a great codec pack, but it does cost $10~$20.

2) Alternatively, find a software for quickly browsing photos (and more). These will work in a similar manner as Windows Explorer but geared towards photos and they won't need a codec pack. The advantage is they will allow you to browse by thumbnails and view as a slideshow within their programs. In terms of free/open source type software I might suggest the following.

XnView MP (I like this one these days as a quick viewer, and I use it to cull photos after offloading from my cards)
IrfanView (I used to use this one but haven't in a while, but not because it was bad or anything)
FastStone Image Viewer (I've used this the most, and only recently have I liked XnView a bit more)

These are not the only ones out there, paid and free. I just like them because they are light and I've used them all at one time or other over the past 15 years. I think you can use Adobe Bridge for free, and it is arguably better than the ones above, but I've quit using Adobe products, and it is a bit more bloated than the above.

Last edited by emalvick; 07-20-2018 at 08:48 AM. Reason: added notes regarding OS
07-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have d/led all the PEF junk from Pentax and they won't install without the original 4 software. Thanks but I won't install programs that Google throws out. I just thought someone knew of a link to the pentax software. I know it's 8 years old but I was hoping.
07-20-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #6

Win 7 and 10
The updater wants to see a "disk" with the same name as the earlier version, the updated versions are full installs.

Adobes free dng converter can read pef, a lot of software can read the resulting DNG files

Last edited by blackest; 07-20-2018 at 09:04 AM.
07-20-2018, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IrfanView reads PEF format. and many other formats
07-20-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search on the site - there are threads where people explain how to get the latest pentax sponsored software to load. However if all you want to do is view either the Adobe Camera Raw (to convert to DNG) or the Ifranview should work. Those are well known programs that have good reputations.

07-20-2018, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

To install the Digital Camera Utility on Windows 7 see this thread (skip to the last few pages):
How to install the PPL Upgrade when you don't have the orginal disk or PPL installed - PentaxForums.com

The same technique works with Windows 10, however if you just click "Ok" or "Next", anything except cancel in the dialog boxes on the update install it will install without a disk or the above trick.

FastStone Image Viewer is free and handles PEF files. Irfanview if you install the plug-ins will handle PEFs. Another free viewer that works with PEFs is XnView. You might have to set the file filters to All file types (*.*) for the PEFs to show in the file listings.
07-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using the technique above, if you install the latest version of PDCU, it should be able to open files from all older cameras.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have d/led all the PEF junk from Pentax and they won't install without the original 4 software. Thanks but I won't install programs that Google throws out. I just thought someone knew of a link to the pentax software. I know it's 8 years old but I was hoping.
The programs I listed are not programs Google Owns; I just meant use a search engine to find the links and use whatever search engine you want. I was just giving you options. I've been where you are at, and you probably won't just get the original software. But if all you are looking for is to view your files, then the ones I listed are great software by great developers. They are all free, they will not bombard you with ads (or they haven't in the past). And of course there are way more programs out there.
07-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #12
Forum Member

If you have access to a Linux box, you can view .pef files in Geequi and edit them in RawTherapee. I'm pretty sure RawTherapee works in Windows too.
07-21-2018, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys