Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Best photo labs

Those who use photo labs to do some of their printing, which companies have you used and what has been your experience?
How critical is calibrating your monitor when using a lab?

07-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used mpix.com (Miller's) for several years and have been very pleased by their products and service...
07-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

I have used mpix.com for larger prints than I can do and Meridian for metal prints. I have been very pleased with both.
07-23-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used MPix as well and always been happy with the results. We have a local lab where I get my metal done as it is easier to pick up work but quality is the same.

IMHO a calibrated monitor is critical. But many good quality monitors are close out of the box. MPix used to do a free test print for you when you signed up for an account, not sure if they still do. If so I would do that and see what the results are. If good then great. If not then get your monitor calibrated.

Note that my monitors are calibrated and I do so every month and would not work without. But that is an added expense and may not be needed for everyone depending on how critical you are with your work.

07-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been using adoramapix and I like their results. Compared to shutterfly they gave more accurate colors, haven't tried too many others. I don't have a high quality calibrated monitor so I let their technician do the final color adjustment, there's also an option to use exactly as in the file. I recently printed a few 11x17 and a 20x30 inch and they had a final inspection card on the back.
07-23-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used mpix, Adroramapix, Nations Photo Lab, smapfish, easy canvas prints, Shutterfly, and I'm waiting on some from Sharp Prints. I would rate Adoramapix best and then mpix (very close). I've tried Sharp Prints because of the really low price on 8 x10 and I was ordering 29 of them). most of them I have tried because of special offers. Easy Canvas Prints does a really good job on canvas, mpix did mess a few up for me but then they re-printed them.
07-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

For the most part I use Costco printing services for individual prints, calendars and my one and only on canvas print. With them you need to use the appropriate printer profile when exporting the picture. The printers I have used are the big Fuji printers and I do not know what printer they use for calendars. The have a few stores now using Epson printers, just check their website for the store you want to use and be sure to disable their "autocorrect" function.

The latest prints I had made were done by Whitewall, Fuji paper under acrylic glass on a dibond base. I printed four prints at 5.1x5.1 inches using the Whitewall icc profile in Capture One. My sister really likes the pictures.

07-24-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

For Sydneysiders you can't go past Vision Image in Redfern.
Home - Vision Image Lab
They service the professional market but what I love about them is that even if you drop film off to them once every six months or so they still treat you like you're one of their best customers.
And when they say ready by 5:00 it's usually ready by 4:00.
07-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
For the most part I use Costco printing services for individual prints, calendars and my one and only on canvas print. With them you need to use the appropriate printer profile when exporting the picture. The printers I have used are the big Fuji printers and I do not know what printer they use for calendars. The have a few stores now using Epson printers, just check their website for the store you want to use and be sure to disable their "autocorrect" function.

The latest prints I had made were done by Whitewall, Fuji paper under acrylic glass on a dibond base. I printed four prints at 5.1x5.1 inches using the Whitewall icc profile in Capture One. My sister really likes the pictures.
I thought I heard COSTCO was getting out of the printing business?
07-24-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

After doing a bingle search, I found nothing suggesting that Costco is getting out of the printing business. The three Costco's within driving distance from me (there is a fourth one but it is just || that much to far to drive to) all have very successful photo print businesses. The printers are running every time I go there and during holidays the people are lined up.

One thing with Costco print services, be sure to use a color calibrated monitor, get the icc profiles (from the Costco site) for the printer your Costco will use and be sure to flip the switch that tells the print service to not "autocorrect" your image. Your pictures should come out just the way that you see them on your monitor.
07-25-2018, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Costco website was hacked and credit card information stolen some time ago, late 2015 I think. They shut down the online photo center completely in order to restructure. Took a couple of months to get things back up again. This led to rumors that they were exiting the photo business. However, the photo center at our two Costcos is always busy and the online site is back.

I do not use them any longer as I was not 100% happy with the quality but the price is excellent and I would not hesitate to use them for personal projects, just not for customer orders.
07-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Best Photo labs

Has anyone used Bay Photo? Thoughts?
07-26-2018, 07:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John Hales Quote
Has anyone used Bay Photo? Thoughts?
I believe they and Mpix are on par. But I found Bay Photo's software difficult to use at the time. But that has been years. I only used them once but the quality of work was fine.
07-27-2018, 03:23 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I believe they and Mpix are on par. But I found Bay Photo's software difficult to use at the time. But that has been years. I only used them once but the quality of work was fine.
Thanks jatrax, has mpix been willing to sent you samples of their different papers?
07-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

John I honestly do not remember. My orders from them are almost all for clients and I do not offer a lot of paper choices on my website for simplicity. I'll bet if you asked they would though.