Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest GIMP stripping metadata from exported jpeg

I installed the latest version of GIMP a couple of weeks back and have found it is stripping metadata from an exported jpeg, has anyone experienced this. In preferences there are some check boxes that seem to indicate what metadata will be included but I can't make it work.

07-25-2018, 11:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
I installed the latest version of GIMP a couple of weeks back and have found it is stripping metadata from an exported jpeg, has anyone experienced this. In preferences there are some check boxes that seem to indicate what metadata will be included but I can't make it work.
When you perform an "Export As" operation, there is a submenu called "Advanced Options". Do you have "Save EXIF data" checked on it?
07-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am running GIMP 2.10.2 in PCLinuxOS. If I open a jpg in GIMP and save it over itself, I do not lose exif information. If I resize the file and save it over itself, I do not lose exif. If I crop to selection and save it over itself, I do not lose exif. If I modify a file and export under a new name I do not lose exif. But if I select a region and paste it into a new file and save under a new file name, I lose exif - which is what I would expect. So I would say that my installation is working the way it should.

Try opening a jpg that you know has exif and immediately export it over itself. If you lose exif, that's a problem. These kind of inexplicable problems - two things to try - reinstall the software, or wait for the next update. PCLinuxOS does rolling updates, so a lot of times when something weird happens, the next Synaptic (package manager) update in a couple of days will fix it. Another thing - if your distro has a good forum, you can report a broken package and the packager might look at it for you.

Good luck. My hope is it is a transient problem.
07-25-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
I am running GIMP 2.10.2 in PCLinuxOS. If I open a jpg in GIMP and save it over itself, I do not lose exif information. If I resize the file and save it over itself, I do not lose exif. If I crop to selection and save it over itself, I do not lose exif. If I modify a file and export under a new name I do not lose exif. But if I select a region and paste it into a new file and save under a new file name, I lose exif - which is what I would expect. So I would say that my installation is working the way it should.
Is "Save EXIF data" checked??

07-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks for the response guys, its the middle of the working day here so I can't get to try your suggestions yet. I suspect reh321's "advanced options" / " save exif data" will probably do it. I suspect it's off by default in this new version, its not something I've ever had to do in previous versions. cheers
07-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

thanks for the response guys, its the middle of the working day here so I can't get to try your suggestions yet. I suspect reh321's "advanced options" / " save exif data" will probably do it. I suspect it's off by default in this new version, its not something I've ever had to do in previous versions. cheers
I'm using a Linux desktop computer - my version came with most export options {including "progressive", "save thumbnail", and "save EXIF data"} turned on - but I don't know how other versions are configured. I set up the configuration I wanted and then pressed "Save Defaults" so I don't have to go through that process every time.
07-26-2018, 07:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm using a Linux desktop computer - my version came with most export options {including "progressive", "save thumbnail", and "save EXIF data"} turned on - but I don't know how other versions are configured. I set up the configuration I wanted and then pressed "Save Defaults" so I don't have to go through that process every time.
So I'm using windows 10 & gimp 2.10.0 I've checked in export / advanced options and save exif is selected and also in preferences / image import - export / export policies / export exif data when available is also selected but still not working.
I read at "gimp.org" that "Although GIMP uses the “libexif” library to read and write EXIF data, the library is not automatically packaged with GIMP", guess I'll have to look into this when my brain doesn't hurt so much

07-26-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

So I'm using windows 10 & gimp 2.10.0 I've checked in export / advanced options and save exif is selected and also in preferences / image import - export / export policies / export exif data when available is also selected but still not working.
I read at "gimp.org" that "Although GIMP uses the “libexif” library to read and write EXIF data, the library is not automatically packaged with GIMP", guess I'll have to look into this when my brain doesn't hurt so much
Most "open" software is developed in some variant of Unix. Just porting to another variant can be an adventure, and porting to Win is always an adventure. I moved to Linux instead of Win10, but I'm guessing that this make it even more complex. Good Luck! {I hope this is one of the easy ones}
07-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
I am running GIMP 2.10.2 in PCLinuxOS. .
What is PCLinuxOS???
07-26-2018, 10:45 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is PCLinuxOS???
Longrunning Linux distro, started in 2003 and still going strong. The core desktop is KDE but the Cinnamon, Enlightenment, LXDE , Trinity and XFCE desktops are also supported. It is a rolling release with frequent updates through synaptic. PCLinuxOS has a strong maintainer and packager base and an active forum. It is one of the top distros for anyone wanting to run KDE.
08-28-2018, 04:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So this issue is still going on with me, to be honest I've not had much time for things photographic lately, anyhow I processed some images from a Sony A6000 the other day and exported and all the exif was there, could it be camera related ( K30) or pentax file related ? I'll have to try some more K30 and K20D images when I get the chance and see if the problems gone away or not.
08-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, so I've been reading on line that some people have reported that this problem has been fixed by installing very latest the version, so last night I uninstalled V 2.10.0 and installed V 2.10.6, to my dismay the same problem, on files from both my K30 and K20D the exif is stripped from the file when exporting. My Sony A6000 has no issue, the full exif data is intact. This is with no processing what so ever, just open the file with gimp then export the file (jpeg).

Is any body else having this issue or does anyone use 2.10.x and having no issue ?

So tonight I'll try files from my pentax optio p&s as well as Nikon & Canon files. I kinda think it must be Pentax only files or we would be hearing a lot more about this issue !
08-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just installed Gimp 2.10.6 via snap on ubuntu 18.04. Exif data saved as expected on file export. Not sure why yours isn't working.
08-29-2018, 03:03 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Just installed Gimp 2.10.6 via snap on ubuntu 18.04. Exif data saved as expected on file export. Not sure why yours isn't working.
I've just tried Canon, Nikon, Sony & Casio images and the exif data is in tact, working just fine, my Pentax Optio E40 images failed to export the exif, just the same as my K30 and K20D, so It seems its just an issue with Pentax files(jpeg), ….. maybe just with Pentax on Windows 10, …. maybe just something with Pentax & my windows 10 install , ( Gimp 2.8 worked fine ) My next step maybe to install Gimp 2.10.6 on one of my other Win 10 systems. I could go back to Gimp 2.8 I suppose but 2.10 has many improvements, which is why I installed it.
08-29-2018, 04:25 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just installed 2.10.6 on another Win 10 system and it has same issue ! Well at least I can assume its probably a Win10 / Gimp issue and not just my system. Is anyone using Gimp 2.10.x on windows 10 ?