Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #1

Opinions on Yellow fading on RR Polar Matte...

I will toss this out and see if anyone knows what might cause this.

I print most of my photo's, for framing use in my house, on Red River Polar Matte paper. I just do not like myself Gloss or Satin Photo based paper..hate any sheen.

Printed using Canon Pixma Pro 100.....with refillable Ink Owl inks ( I think it was Ink Owl..). Never had any issues with their inks on photo based paper..colors were the same as OEM inks and just never had any issues.

However last year I printed and framed quite a few pics for our house. Maybe 12 on Polar Matte and 5 on RR Polar Metallic photo paper. Same inks.

What has happened on the Matte paper is every one has turned pinkish and maybe a bit cyanish. This has not occured on the metallic glossy photo papers.This seems to have occurred once we hit very humid days here in Maine in late spring.
I am guessing it is the fading of the yellow since that would cause any areas using yellow/magenta to fade to pinkish or any yellow/cyan to turn more cyanish.

Now NONE are exposed to sunlight as matter of fact most are in hallways that see little light so sun fade isn't it.

Anyone ever see this. I realize it could be inks or paper...? I am going to reprint them all...no big deal but trying to think what would cause this.

08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It could also be the matte board (assuming you used some). Perhaps the metallic paper is less permeable to any acids for impurities in the matte board.
08-01-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good thought but no because....actually behind the paper is the frame glass as I do not like glass either. Since these are for personal display I had no objections to reprinting them in a few years and besides I tire of looking at the same pics so I figured well...I don't like glare from glass so i will put it behind the paper that way i still have it for future use. So there is no matte board...just the Polar Matte paper..then the glass behind it then the backing board behind the glass.
08-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are the prints exposed to the sun?

08-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would have to say it sounds like the ink itself. Since it’s in the hallway, and there’s glass behind the print, the only wildcard here is the use of a non-OEM ink. I can’t speak regarding the ink because I’ve only used OEM and never had an issue. (I’ve used the papers you said several years ago and they didn’t change with my Epson inks)
08-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
That would be my first suspect too. I have to go look at which inks it was.

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 01:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Are the prints exposed to the sun?
No never...

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 01:50 PM ----------

Actually it must be the ink. I found a print I never mounted that was printed on some Polar Metallic using the aftermarket inks and it is color loss worst of all. While the several prints that I know used the OEM Cannon inks are still perfect. So solved that one.
I was using refillables when I was doin some transfers and was not goign to spend $$$$ on Cannon inks. But that is long gone. So now I need to buy all new cartridges...oh the pain..:-)
And it was Precision Colors ink...which gets good feedback on forums....but every print bled out

---------- Post added 08-01-18 at 02:12 PM ----------

I contacted precision Colors to see what they say. But it sure is their ink as any OEM ink prints are still perfect. Interested as to what they blame it on.

Last edited by Pentax Mainer; 08-01-2018 at 02:06 PM.
08-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #7

Original Poster
The answer from precision ink was..their ink is not as good as OEM...gues no surprise....here was their response. To which i am not upset...I will just have to suck it up and go back to OEM. Might buy another Pro 100 and keep it OEM inks and use my current one with Precision inks for proofing as I never saw a color difference between the two...as far as my eyes could see so...proof with cheap inks..print with OEM.. What a shock...not.

'Your prints are being attacked by ozone gases in that environment. Our ink is not the same as OEM ink. Chromalife 100 PLUS was a big advancement over Chromalife 100. Which is close to our ink in related groups. So you will need to properly frame your prints in gas tight frames or use a different paper or use OEM ink.

Read through this thread and see what people have done and what a solution is'