Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pixel Shift Processing (Photoshop/Camera Raw)

Greetings all, I have the K1 and am a big fan of the pixel shift feature. I have read through plenty of Pixel Shift articles online, and was after a bit of confirmation re processing technique.

I use Photoshop (CC) and therefore do most of my adjustments in Camera Raw before adding finishing touches etc in Photoshop.

From what I have read, it seems to me, post processing Pixel Shift files in Camera Raw simply involves dragging up your sharpening sliders much further than you usually would/could, and that's about all. Is that right? Generally speaking I have found myself dragging the "Amount" slider up pretty much all the way (ie close to 150) and even increasing the radius a little (eg 1.1 or 1.2). I dont use DCU much and I have seen reference to programs like Raw Therapee but haven't got that yet.

Is this approach (ie sharpening sliders) getting the best out of Pixel Shift processing or is there something more to it? I see plenty of commentary that Lightroom is not all that compatible with Pixel Shift but dont hear so much re Photoshop/Camera Raw.

Thanks in advance

08-21-2018, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Photoshop and Lightroom do not support the Pixelshift RAW Files. Only the composed Pixelshift Picture exported as Tiff or JPEG by the Camera. But than it is one file and not anymore the four different Pixelshift Pictures saved in the Pixelshift RAW File.
Only DCU, Silkypix und RawTherapee can handle the PX Raw's. If you want develop the Pixelshift RAW Files on Desktop you have to choose one of them.
08-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Only DCU, Silkypix und RawTherapee can handle the PX Raw's.
Although the processing options are more limited than desktop software like RawTherapee or DCU, the camera's internal RAW developing options, under the 'Playback' menu, also allow you to do some manual processing of pixel-shift RAW's, and save them to the SD card as TIFF or JPEG. I'm not sure exactly what it outputs though - 4 pixel-shift component TIFFs or one merged one.
09-01-2018, 01:02 PM - 3 Likes   #4

RawTherapee does things _much_ better than DCU or LR in my limited experience. I do pixel-shift tweaking for RAW development then export a 16bit TIFF to bring into LR/PS for final edits, generally speaking. I was just about to start a thread with my experience because I was blown away by how much better RawTherapee did, but this reply will do