Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tablet Recommendations (Pen Variety Possibly...)

So... my beloved Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 has died, suffered a nasty fall and cracked screen. Have looked into the repair costs but sadly it's quite staggering, so it's time for a new tablet.

Here's where it gets interesting... "So Bruce... what do you use a tablet for?" and my answer "Not an awful lot to be honest...". My main focus points for a tablet up to now have been for the following reasons;

1) To use the 'Pocket' App, that is to bookmark articles and videos of interest from my browser on my PC and then watch at a more comfortable location on the couch

2) To use 'FlickFolio', an App that syncs and downloads pics/albums of my choosing from my flickr account, a handy way to make a Portfolio of images to show prospective clients

After these two main reasons I don't do an awful lot with it.

I realise if these are the only two main things I do with a Android tablet then I have a lot of options open to me, even cheap $50-100 tablets would do the trick. However... one thing I don't yet have and have always thought about moving towards is a stronger more powerful tablet for photo editing or at least using with software on the PC for editing images with a pen, much like a Wacom, however I do not know if this is really possible or not? A few of my concerns;

1) I read one reviewer of a iPad Pro saying he much preferred it to a Wacom, but he was a 'colourist', so the work he did was a little different to us photographers, I think most of the time he would sit on a beambag or something and use apps to colour in cartoon work etc, this might translate well to photoediting on the go (holiday etc) but then it's quite an expensive and the pen doesn't come with so the price adds up and this option concerns me with point 2 below...

2) I use LR and PS, but along with those applications I also use a lot of 3rd party app plugins, such as Topaz and DxO. It might be feasible now to edit a raw DNG file on an iPad pro or something, however I have my doubts that 3rd party plugins will work (unless of course that tablet is a Windows 10 tablet etc, and again the cost is going up with those options).

Really it's not likely I will edit much away from my main machine, I do after all have LR/PS and all the plugins to use and a nice 43 inch 4k screen to edit on. I am more pondering if in-between those sessions of using my tablet for sofa reading I can use it like a Wacom, somehow...
Are the newer tablets getting good now with pens and software apps available that I can start to move away from the mouse and onto a pen for a more Wacom style editing process?

Otherwise I guess it's two devices, a cheap tablet and a Wacom.

TIA!

Bruce

08-23-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #2

My wife got the 12 inch iPad pro through her job and I installed Lightroom on it. Works quite well. The tablet itself is a delight, very powerful, but not at all compact except for being thin. It's the first tablet I could see using as a laptop replacement (while keeping a desktop). I haven't tried the smaller version.

The pen also works well, and I really like the controversial keyboard. To me it feels perfect. Some hate it.
08-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might still be able to find a new Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have one and it works great for Photoshop. They are old enough that they aren't too expensive, but they are still very good hardware.
08-23-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
You might still be able to find a new Microsoft Surface Pro 3. I have one and it works great for Photoshop. They are old enough that they aren't too expensive, but they are still very good hardware.
The new Surface Go is released in a few days, 64 and 128gb versions only for Australia, I think other countries are getting 256gb. I know from personal experience that 64gb is really a waste of time for Windows, 128gb is barely usable, only for those that have strict specific needs, really if you're considering using a tablet in windows mode you need 256gb, yet we're oddly not getting it.

My questions anyway really are more to do with whether with iPads or Android tablets (that use proper pens), can the tablet be turned into a Wacom at all? If so does anyone do it, what's the process like?

08-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #5

I have been using my Galaxy Tab A for over a year. I use the CC app and I use it a lot. I don't really use it for post processing but I do use it to make my selections and edit down the shoot. I ocassionally do some editing but leave that for my desktop. I was actually surprised that I was able to use the Healing brush to correct some blemishes on the skin of a model and was impressed with simply using my finger. I don't plan on doing this as a replacement to my desktop but in a pinch it looks like it works very well. So if my Tab A is able to keep up I am sure anything faster would be fine.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.
08-23-2018, 08:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Angel Perez Quote
I have been using my Galaxy Tab A for over a year. I use the CC app and I use it a lot. I don't really use it for post processing but I do use it to make my selections and edit down the shoot. I ocassionally do some editing but leave that for my desktop. I was actually surprised that I was able to use the Healing brush to correct some blemishes on the skin of a model and was impressed with simply using my finger. I don't plan on doing this as a replacement to my desktop but in a pinch it looks like it works very well. So if my Tab A is able to keep up I am sure anything faster would be fine.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to go with.
Which Tab A you have, the S Pen one or without? I noted that both Tab A's are reduced by $50 today (8 inch non S Pen and 10.1 with the S Pen)... tempting.

When you say CC you mean Creative Cloud, so like LR and the such? I'm just a little perplexed of your methodology then, for me I eject SD card from camera and into my PC (it has its own SD Card Reader), and then I do the culling there (either via Faststone Image Viewer on LR). Are you meaning to say you somehow use the Tab A as a first stage culling? How are you getting yer images to the tablet, and is it worth that step if you're really gonna end up with doing the brunt of the work at the desk on pc?

I kinda just want to know how well the whole S Pen thing works and whether there are apps available that can turn the tablet into a Wacom of sorts...
08-23-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had an Asus 8" tablet which I liked a lot because it was pure Android, no bloatware on it. After it died, I bought a Kindle 8" Fire. It's good but you're stuck in Amazon's world and unless you're using their apps, it's slooooowwww. My wife has a Lenovo 10" tablet, she loves it, and like you, she just does a few things on it and it works wonderfully for all her needs. My daughter just got the Microsoft Surface Pro 3, which does the pen thing. Very very nice. But a lot more pricey than my $79 Kindle and my Wife's $120 Lenovo. But it's really a full blown computer in disguise. My daughter loves it, uses it for college and she does a lot of art, so she has the Microsoft Pen too. After my Kindle dies, I may lean that way and spend the extra dollars. I'm very impressed with it.

08-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Using one right now. One of the best PCs I've used in a while. All the best pros about a tablet, with the full functionality of a PC. My only gripe at all is I wish I couod replace the battery. It's not bad now but it has diminished over time. I'd hate to have to replace it for just that.
08-24-2018, 02:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A Surface tablet like a Pro series for me leaves me feeling a little uneasy, just because I already know Win10 so well already, I already own a full pledge PC so am not so sure I need to spend a huge amount of $$ on doubling up on what I have, in a portable format. If i was looking for a new PC period, then yeah I'd consider it. But remember the initial thread points, 2 apps and possible Wacom usage... not a replacement to what I already have.

I dug up this vid earlier, sadly I know of this man's experience all too well;

I mean the S Pen thing might work ok for editing ON the tablet, LR CC etc, but in terms of treating as a Wacom interface, that looks unlikely, and the price drop from a tablet with similar specs without the pen tech is quite significant. I believe the iOS does this whole photographic/art/pen thing better in general, I was really wondering if a $200AUD based tablet that can meet my basic needs, if I spent perhaps double to triple that and get one with Pen tech, then perhaps it might also serve as a Wacom.
08-24-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Which Tab A you have, the S Pen one or without? I noted that both Tab A's are reduced by $50 today (8 inch non S Pen and 10.1 with the S Pen)... tempting.

When you say CC you mean Creative Cloud, so like LR and the such? I'm just a little perplexed of your methodology then, for me I eject SD card from camera and into my PC (it has its own SD Card Reader), and then I do the culling there (either via Faststone Image Viewer on LR). Are you meaning to say you somehow use the Tab A as a first stage culling? How are you getting yer images to the tablet, and is it worth that step if you're really gonna end up with doing the brunt of the work at the desk on pc?

I kinda just want to know how well the whole S Pen thing works and whether there are apps available that can turn the tablet into a Wacom of sorts...
I find that one way to keep the peace at home is to do the culling process in the vicinity of my wife. So I download the pics to my computer via LR and I create a Collection that automatically syncs to the cloud which allows me to see and edit my pics on my phone or tabler. I Use the Tab A with out a pen. As long as I have a good WiFi signal I am good to go. When I have time to then edit photos all my favorites are synced to my computer and I make any last selections if necessary and then begin my editing process. Oh I also usually do my color correction and my boiler plate contrast, clarity, lens correction keywording before I sync to the cloud. I don't any of the major editing because you can't easily sync numerous photos on the tablet. You can copy the previous edit to the next picture but for me it takes too long if you have a lot of pictures. I usually do headshots or performing arts and could easily have 500-800 pics that I pair down to 60-100 depending on what the goal of the shoot is . So this is where working with a tablet is very convienent. I will sometimes take care of this also during lunch at my day job or inbetween some dead time. Your phone is equally as effective except I try not to use it simply because the phone is just too small. The other nice thing is straight from the LR app you can post to instagram or whichever social media app you subscribe to. This is a workflow that seems to work well for me.

Good luck with your search for the right tool.
08-24-2018, 05:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I find that one way to keep the peace at home is to do the culling process in the vicinity of my wife. So I download the pics to my computer via LR and I create a Collection that automatically syncs to the cloud which allows me to see and edit my pics on my phone or tabler. I Use the Tab A with out a pen. As long as I have a good WiFi signal I am good to go. When I have time to then edit photos all my favorites are synced to my computer and I make any last selections if necessary and then begin my editing process. Oh I also usually do my color correction and my boiler plate contrast, clarity, lens correction keywording before I sync to the cloud. I don't any of the major editing because you can't easily sync numerous photos on the tablet. You can copy the previous edit to the next picture but for me it takes too long if you have a lot of pictures. I usually do headshots or performing arts and could easily have 500-800 pics that I pair down to 60-100 depending on what the goal of the shoot is . So this is where working with a tablet is very convienent. I will sometimes take care of this also during lunch at my day job or inbetween some dead time. Your phone is equally as effective except I try not to use it simply because the phone is just too small. The other nice thing is straight from the LR app you can post to instagram or whichever social media app you subscribe to. This is a workflow that seems to work well for me.

Good luck with your search for the right tool.
Thanks for those insights, I'm clearly not utilising my CC LR/PS subscription as effectively as you. I tried doing the culling process within LR, but eventually bailed out as the importing time for vast amounts of images just felt like it took too long, instead I simply used another program that allowed a tagging process and then import the shots I wanted to edit into LR (and then just edit).
08-24-2018, 06:22 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Thanks for those insights, I'm clearly not utilising my CC LR/PS subscription as effectively as you. I tried doing the culling process within LR, but eventually bailed out as the importing time for vast amounts of images just felt like it took too long, instead I simply used another program that allowed a tagging process and then import the shots I wanted to edit into LR (and then just edit).
Actually, what you are doing makes a lot of sense. It works for me because I load my pics as I bring in my equipment or take of other things. I then come back to light room to do my "presets" and sync it to LR CC. Yes, at this point I would have to engage in something else while they sync. I'm a musician so during this process is when I will take some time to practice or do some other activity around the house. When my wife and I are hanging out and she is watching her late night soaps, my tablet comes to the rescue and I do the culling. As I unpick or "X" pics I then only select those and remove them from the collection and then procede to unpick shots futher until I get to the shots I want to keep or show a client. I will do a more detailed exposure correction at this point so that the client sees consitent work and then I do more serious post-processing if that necessary depending on the purpose of the shoot.

If you sit down and take a block of time to knock all of it out then Lightroom would not be the best tool as it does take too long for loading and culling. Supposedly this is supposed to improve with future versions of LR.

Again, very curious on what you decide to go with.

Let us know.
08-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, what you are doing makes a lot of sense. It works for me because I load my pics as I bring in my equipment or take of other things. I then come back to light room to do my "presets" and sync it to LR CC. Yes, at this point I would have to engage in something else while they sync. I'm a musician so during this process is when I will take some time to practice or do some other activity around the house. When my wife and I are hanging out and she is watching her late night soaps, my tablet comes to the rescue and I do the culling. As I unpick or "X" pics I then only select those and remove them from the collection and then procede to unpick shots futher until I get to the shots I want to keep or show a client. I will do a more detailed exposure correction at this point so that the client sees consitent work and then I do more serious post-processing if that necessary depending on the purpose of the shoot.

If you sit down and take a block of time to knock all of it out then Lightroom would not be the best tool as it does take too long for loading and culling. Supposedly this is supposed to improve with future versions of LR.

Again, very curious on what you decide to go with.

Let us know.
I will, still looking. Thus far I have come to the following conclusions;

- Android with a S Pen (or bamboo stylus etc), is fine for those doing graphical work direct on the tablet. Apps that exist for designers I'm sure are there, but I hear iOS does this with the iPad Pro heaps better. I think Android options with a pen are generally cheaper than iPad Pros however it may be better to pay that extra, go iOS for the better apps and general stylus experience.

- There doesn't seem to be a suitable solution as far as I can tell for turning any tablet (iOS or Android) into a Wacom for photo editors using a PC/Mac. Really I was simply hoping to kill two birds with one stone, buy a tablet that I can also use as a Wacom interface for my more serious editing sessions, Wacoms aren't cheap over here, they're $200-300, I was simply hoping to roll that bundle of saving and add to the cost of a tablet.

- I can literally buy a crappy 7-8 inch tablet for $90-$160AUD that will suffice for my very basic need of using 'Pocket' app and 'FlickFolio', however I the experience will be slow and sluggish, and when showing clients 'stuff' on a laggy tablet doesn't exactly come off as being very professional, so I am hesitant to go down that route.

- My current handset is not doing so well (LG G5), I've been troubling shooting issues with it from day one, and I'm too far down the rabbit hole with it now to try and raise hell with the manufacturer. It's been by far my worst Android experience to date, and I pretty much hated Android going into buying it, the problem is my income is not infinite, Apple products I think in general are better but more often out my pricing bracket, hence why I feel pushed to the lower to mid Android offerings.
It's just interesting that when you have a bug with a certain handset, and then several other users report the same bug, then others chime in with other brands saying they too have this problem, you start to realise just how unreliable the Android experience is, it's a real gamble as to whether you get a lemon or a goody on the day, you're crossing your fingers when making that purchase, and if you're living in Australia and want to try something that's not Apple or Samsung then you're buying overseas which usually means goodbye warranty (or at least the shipping costs back outweigh the hassle etc).

- I'm currently considering a 'phablet', something like 6-7 inches. They do still exist but again its the littler brands doing it, it will be a China buy and if there are problems with it I think I'll die... (this for example is my last video I watched;
)

- Typically I'm seeing very little choice in the tablet 7-8inch variety, we are getting garbage specs for these devices currently. There are no decent choices in this size out here, the specs of that phablet video I linked above absolutely walks all over everything out here at a similar price point.

So yeah... I'm undecided still.