Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2018, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my free Nik Collection apps all still work - I use them as standalone applications and have no problems....
If anyone wants to use them as standalone apps, then work on a copy of your image file. Be aware that some Nik modules do not have a file menu for 'Save As', so saving the edited file will overwrite your original.

Philip

10-16-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
If anyone wants to use them as standalone apps, then work on a copy of your image file. Be aware that some Nik modules do not have a file menu for 'Save As', so saving the edited file will overwrite your original.

Philip

look for 'export' on the file menu...
10-16-2018, 04:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Philip
10-20-2018, 07:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I am too lazy to Google but if I remember correctly. One of the 2018 Photoshop releases has issues with Nik if you were on a Mac. PC was just fine.

I still have the free version and just had to install it again as I have upgraded to Photoshop CC 2019. I played around with Color Efex and it seemed fine.

I am not sure what issues there might have been between the free version and PS though.

11-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think any issues with the free Nik collection were more at an OS level.

My understanding was that when DxO purchased the Nik collection, their first steps were to update all the code to modern standards as the Nik 2 package was written for a 2012 era coding level. This took a lot of effort with no real benefit on the outside appearance. Perhaps there was better performance? The expectation is that in 2019 they will provide a proper update to the package with new features and hopefully better integration with their own software and others.

Of course, how much they can upgrade and catch up with others will be a big question. I got into Nik software primarily because of their HDR software. It remained my software of choice until the Aurora HDR became available on Windows and passed it by. I am a huge fan of SilverEfex and would love to see that replace the black and white module in PhotoLab. However, some of the other portions of Nik are already done pretty well by PhotoLab on its own. The big advantage is the U-Point technology. It'll be interesting to see where it all goes.

I won't mind paying for the Nik package if they can really improve on it.