Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adobe CC will be Win 10v1709 or higher or Mac OS 10.12 or higher only

I didn't see this posted so I figured I would pass it along for those who use Adobe Creative Cloud. Adobe has posted that the next version of it will only support Windows 10 v1709 or higher or Mac OS 10.12 or higher. The version of Windows 10 is the August 2016 Anniversary Update. Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported with future versions.

08-31-2018, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
I didn't see this posted so I figured I would pass it along for those who use Adobe Creative Cloud. Adobe has posted that the next version of it will only support Windows 10 v1709 or higher or Mac OS 10.12 or higher. The version of Windows 10 is the August 2016 Anniversary Update. Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 will no longer be supported with future versions.
It was only a matter of time and with older platforms it isn't always a pleasure to work with newer, more demanding software anyway, nevertheless I don't regret passing on Adobe CC
08-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, PhotoScape X (a very nice free RAW developer and image editor) also likes the new libraries in Windows 10 … will require at least v1607 to install.
08-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #4
pid

Photos: Gallery
Affinity is a good way to say good bye to Adobe! Yesterday they did release the Beta for their third app the Affinity Publisher. When this new App is ready they have the holy Trinity Affinity Photo (for Photoshop), Affinity Designer (for Illustrator) and than Affinity Publisher (for Indesign). All Apps are available for iPad too!

08-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Adobe has posted that the next version of it will only support Windows 10 v1709 or higher or Mac OS 10.12 or higher.
That statement is not quite right. Windows 7 will continue to be supported. Adobe are not going to be supporting OS that microsoft or apple no longer support themselves.
08-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
It was only a matter of time and with older platforms it isn't always a pleasure to work with newer, more demanding software anyway
I could see dropping support for Win 7, 8, and 8.1 but any version of 10 older than 2 years seems a bit much at this point. It isn't like it was 20 years ago where 2 years later you had 2x the processing power, now it is a fairly meager increase from one iteration to the next. Intel had the tick-tock methodology where it was architecture change then process shring, and now is going with architecture change, architecture tweak, process shrink. From one processor generation to the next the improvements are typically in the 5-10% range. Available memory hasn't changed appreciably either in a while with most motherboard still topping out at 64GB, yet my machine at home from 7 years ago has 32GB. It isn't like machines are resource constrained unless you bought the cheapest pile of junk you could find.

---------- Post added 08-31-18 at 06:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
That statement is not quite right. Windows 7 will continue to be supported. Adobe are not going to be supporting OS that microsoft or apple no longer support themselves.
Where did you see that? In the original linked article it states this:
"Creative Cloud will not support Windows 8.1, Windows 10 v1511 and v1607"
Which is ambiguous on Win 7 but in the originally linked article they have another link that states the following for their official policy:
"upcoming versions of the Adobe video and audio tools will require Windows 10 (version 1709, or higher) or macOS 10.12 (or higher) to run."
So that seems to be pretty clear that Win 7 is out.
08-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Forum Member

Could be the lack of go-juice talking in the early am, but the detailed blog posting is about video and audio - Adobe Video and Audio Apps: Upcoming Changes to OS Support | Adobe Blog

OP link kinda fuzzy about requirements for LR and PS and Ai. Perhaps the next major CC upgrade is more about PP? LR CC already requires 10 - I have to use "Classic" on my stone-age setup (3 years).

But, faced with upgrading my OS from Win7 64 to 10 vs learning a new interface, tools, quirks and such - I will buy 10. It is the inevitable transition.

I liked XP 32 bit on an AMD 2 core w/ 3.x G ram, running CS3 with a 256M video card. But would not trade the performance of my current i7 6 core w/ 64 G of ram, SSD drives and 4 G video card. If I have to migrate OS to keep the hardware running the software I want, it is the move I will make. I fought it with my XP setup - got 12 years out of it (still a backup system, albeit a SLOW backup) and moved to Win 7 32 to extend its service life but should have transitioned to new hardware and OS years earlier. I am very good at hanging on too long and hope to have learned my lesson on keeping up this time around. Anyone need a Win98SE install disk (still in package with seal)... Or a Win95 laptop?
08-31-2018, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Great, Adobe forcing their users to upgrade their computers now too :/

08-31-2018, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LR 6 continues to churn along for me. At some point I'll get a new camera I can't live without and then figure which of the alternatives makes the best sense. But for now, I just ignore all the Adobe churn.
08-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
LR 6 continues to churn along for me.
I keep on using CS3 and rawtherapee to avoid the churn. My photoshop skills haven't outstripped CS3 so why change but having a 64bit version would be nice.
08-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Affinity is a good way to say good bye to Adobe! Yesterday they did release the Beta for their third app the Affinity Publisher. When this new App is ready they have the holy Trinity Affinity Photo (for Photoshop), Affinity Designer (for Illustrator) and than Affinity Publisher (for Indesign). All Apps are available for iPad too!
Nice looking program. Going to have to give it some serious consideration.
08-31-2018, 03:22 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I could see dropping support for Win 7, 8, and 8.1 but any version of 10 older than 2 years seems a bit much at this point.
It's still Win10, MR, you haven't paid anything for these new builds or had to reinstall.

They are free system updates. These days you do it just as you would your phone, it's a different paradigm from the old days.

08-31-2018, 04:59 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Where did you see that?
In the article you linked to ...."Most Creative Cloud applications receiving updates in the next major release will still support Windows 7" "Creative Cloud Desktop, which manages application installs, will continue to be supported on Windows 7 or later"
09-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
"Most Creative Cloud applications receiving updates in the next major release will still support Windows 7"
Ok I missed that.