Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Best Cloud storage

I am curious about which cloud storage you are using. So far I have been reluctant to use any and instead use two 1TB external hard drives. I don't have a ton of photos, but I don't want to lose any either.

08-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I use a mirror RAID LAN drive at home for backup. I don't yet see the value in paying for that amount of storage online, and still have concerns about trusting its ongoing availability, cost and security. At present, the small risk of a catastrophic event doesn't yet outweigh the downsides for me.
08-31-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Been using drop box to keep a somewhat current copy, Works ok.
08-31-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a self built 16TB of available storage NAS, 5 drives in the storage pool RAID 5 with 2 spares. For the real catastrophic events I have a few 128GB USB drives that I put critical data on and keep on in the fire chest at home, one in my car, and one in my desk at work. The chance that all 3 plus the original data get wiped out and I don't is basically 0. With those data theft becomes a concern but the USB drives are encrypted so I don't actually worry about someone taking it. The drives have one huge file on them which is a VeraCrypt volume and copies of VeraCrypt for all current operating systems.

Creating encrypted files that are mountable volumes also would allow you to upload the file to the cloud and not have to worry that your data will leak. I don't trust the cloud companies to not leak data as so many have and they all are pretty hand wavy on how they encrypt it and where the keys are stored.

08-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you are looking for best value, you simply can't beat buying hard drives and doing it yourself. A 4TB drive can be had for $100 or less. 1TB HDD for $50 or less.

For cloud services Google Drive will be $120/year for 1TB.
Amazon S3 Standard is $276/year for 1TB
Amazon S3 Glacier (their cheapest) is still $48/year for 1TB
Other cloud services are similar

The reality is that with all cloud services you are paying for more than the storage. You are paying for a managed service, so part of the price goes to someones salary. That's fine if you don't have the technical expertise or time to do it yourself. But if you do, just buy the drives and do it yourself. For the price you can regularly add more hard drives and have more space for less.

Last edited by vector; 08-31-2018 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Added more info.
08-31-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
If you are looking for best value, you simply can't beat buying hard drives and doing it yourself. A 4TB drive can be had for $100 or less. 1TB HDD for $50 or less.

For cloud services Google Drive will be $120/year for 1TB.
Amazon S3 Standard is $276/year for 1TB
Amazon S3 Glacier (their cheapest) is still $48/year for 1TB
Other cloud services are similar

The reality is that with all cloud services you are paying for more than the storage. You are paying for a managed service, so part of the price goes to someones salary. That's fine if you don't have the technical expertise or time to do it yourself. But if you do, just buy the drives and do it yourself. For the price you can regularly add more hard drives and have more space for less.
For me there are two problems with that approach. The first is the discipline to do regular backups, if I had software to do it for me automatically it would be much easier. Second is that you really need at least one copy to be in a different physical location to guard against disasters, and doing that kind of ties into reason #1.

I have a drive dock that I can just drop a bare drive into, it works well.
08-31-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use this:
Free 100Gb (expandable to 600gb) and paid EUR9.99 montly plans upt to 2000GB
https://cloud.degoo.com/drive-j0ik89lboal7

And very tempted by this unlimited data backup $5 monthly plan
Pricing for Backblaze Online Backup
08-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rubenr Quote
I use this:
Free 100Gb (expandable to 600gb) and paid EUR9.99 montly plans upt to 2000GB
https://cloud.degoo.com/drive-j0ik89lboal7

And very tempted by this unlimited data backup $5 monthly plan
Pricing for Backblaze Online Backup
+1 for blackblaze!

I use it, not the $5 monthly (which is for one device but could work great for this), but their b2 cloud storage. A LOT cheaper than google, amazon and the others, encrypted with your own key, available online if needed and loads of integration with NASes and others.

Best part? I pay about $2 a month for >300gb.

---------- Post added 08-31-2018 at 07:22 PM ----------

Also, thoght this dead horse was, well dead, but here I go beating it again:

RAID is for AVAILABILITY

NOT FOR BACKUP

08-31-2018, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
For me there are two problems with that approach. The first is the discipline to do regular backups, if I had software to do it for me automatically it would be much easier. Second is that you really need at least one copy to be in a different physical location to guard against disasters, and doing that kind of ties into reason #1.

Absolutely. Like I said if you have the time and expertise, then you can do it yourself. If not, then that managed cloud service is probably worth it for you. I don't see a lot of difference between Dropbox or Google Drive. They auto sync and have file versioning capabilities. Backup only tools like Crashplan or Backblaze are good too and more affordable, but they are just backups not file viewing/sharing. Services like flickr can be a sort of backup as they will store your jpg's, but it's not really a backup service. Looks like the pro version has a bulk uploader though.

For myself, I build and manage complex IT systems for a living, so it's really hard to justify paying someone else to do it for me. I also don't think it's that hard for anyone to rotate backups and keep offsite copies, but again my perspective may be skewed.

A real backup solution keeps multiple copies on multiple storage devices/mediums. I don't use RAID for any of my data drives because I don't need high availability, I back them up to multiple locations instead. The software you need for it is already included in your OS (Mac/Linux use rsync, Windows use robocopy) and is a command line tool.

Examples (you have to adjust the source and destination) - not tested, just spitballing here:

Linux
rsync -a --delete /home/myuser/Pictures/ /mnt/mybackupdrive/Pictures-2018-08-31/

Mac
rsync -a --delete /Users/myuser/Pictures/ /mnt/mybackupdrive/Pictures-2018-08-31/

Windows
robocopy C:\Users\myuser\Pictures E:\Pictures-2018-08-31 /MIR

These can be scripted and scheduled to run automatically if you are so inclined, using the built in tools of your OS.

Taking a copy offsite definitely requires some discipline. Just rotate which drive you are backing up to and regularly take a copy out of your house. At the most basic level, keep one copy in your car, but preferably another location like your place of work, or a friends house. Even better if you encrypt your backup drives in case they are stolen.

Last edited by vector; 08-31-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Edit
08-31-2018, 11:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote

Bingo!. +1. Exactly what I do. So simple to buy a new drive when more space is needed and also take advantage of improving technology.
08-31-2018, 11:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I should add to, that if you are only concerned about jpg's and you are ok with google doing their own re-compression of your files, then you can sync an unlimited amount of jpg data to your google drive for free. It's not ideal as they do modify the copy they keep, but for cell phone pics, and old jpegs from my pre DSLR days I do make use of that.

Last edited by vector; 08-31-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Typo
08-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
Forum Member

Flickr, 1TB for free, been using it for 2 years now, no problems so far. Only thing i do not like is that they rename your files.
08-31-2018, 02:46 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks

This is all good information. I am not a techie, and also don't want to spent money on this if the easiest answer is two external hard drives.
The newest hard drives are SSD which I think is more bullet proof than the older spinning disks.
08-31-2018, 04:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am a bit lazy and have tried several sources but have let them go untouched!
08-31-2018, 04:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's right above you (well there might be a roof or two between you and it)