Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2018, 09:32 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop script to display K3 image focus points

I was reading some old posts on the forum about creating a Photoshop Javascript script to display the focus points on a K3 image, and having zero experience of writing such things, and some time on my hands, I thought I'd have a go

I came across a script from 2010 called "ShowFocusPoint" by Malcolm Hoar for displaying focus points for Canon and Nikon images which I took as my starting point.

As I said I have zero experience in writing JavaScript so I'm sure the code could use a lot of improving. Hopefully we have some folks here who can improve it.

Here's a link to the script on dropbox (Windows only).

It uses the excellent 'exiftool' to extract data from the image so you need that installed. In the script you need to define the path to 'exiftool' and to a temp folder. It works in Photoshop CS6, and hopefully other versions.

The results for landscape and portrait images seem to differ, for some reason I have yet to figure out, but its close.

To run it open a K3 image file, go "File/Scripts/Browse", navigate to where you stored the script, and double click. After a while a new layer called 'FocusPoints' should have been created containing a representation of all the focus points as red '+'s and the in focus point as a green '[]'.

Hopefully you will end up with something like this...

Attached Images

09-04-2018, 05:29 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by fwwidall Quote
I was reading some old posts on the forum about creating a Photoshop Javascript script to display the focus points on a K3 image, and having zero experience of writing such things, and some time on my hands, I thought I'd have a go

I came across a script from 2010 called "ShowFocusPoint" by Malcolm Hoar for displaying focus points for Canon and Nikon images which I took as my starting point.

As I said I have zero experience in writing JavaScript so I'm sure the code could use a lot of improving. Hopefully we have some folks here who can improve it.

Here's a link to the script on dropbox (Windows only).

It uses the excellent 'exiftool' to extract data from the image so you need that installed. In the script you need to define the path to 'exiftool' and to a temp folder. It works in Photoshop CS6, and hopefully other versions.

The results for landscape and portrait images seem to differ, for some reason I have yet to figure out, but its close.

To run it open a K3 image file, go "File/Scripts/Browse", navigate to where you stored the script, and double click. After a while a new layer called 'FocusPoints' should have been created containing a representation of all the focus points as red '+'s and the in focus point as a green '[]'.

Hopefully you will end up with something like this...
Excellent! Thanks! I've downloaded it and I'll have a go at it when I have a chance.
09-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #3

For Mac users, you may want to look at Mac EXIF Viewer from Softmatic <link here>
It recreates a viewfinder-like window on your Mac which displays a lot of info about your image, including the focus point.
09-07-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've been playing with this script some more to try and improve it.

I've changed the code to load a transparent GIF file containing all the AF points to a layer, and just write the in-focus point onto that layer. The earlier version was creating a new layer for each focus point, before merging them. It runs a lot faster now. Copy the GIF file into your specified temp folder before running.

I've also added another script 'K3EXIF.jsx' which will write some basic EXIF data to a separate layer in the image. It should work on any image, not just K3 ones.

I make no guarantee as to their accuracy, as I'm a newbie to javascript, but hopefully you'll find them useful.

Please give them a try and see what you think.

Fred.

Attached Files
File Type: zip K3Scripts.zip (85.9 KB, 21 views)