Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-18-2018, 04:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Where is the moon and the sun.

In landscape photography it is a good thing to know the position of the sun and moon.
An more important, how is the moon/sun positioned in the landscape.
For this purpose I use an app called "PeakFinder ar". This is an app ment to fint names of mountains. The app makes a 3D landscape based on maps, and manny mountains is named so you can fint them when out hiking.
The hidden gem in this app for landscape photographers, is that it also show the path of the moon and the sun.
You can actually chose a position on a map, and "fly" to this position and se how it renders in 3D. At this spot you can also change date and time and se where the sun/moon are compare to the landscape. This is an excellent tool to plan your picture in detail on advance.

I bought this app for fining mountains when hiking, when I found this hidden tool for landscape photographers, and think this is a nice tips to those of you who like tho capture a full moon, sun set ....................

The pictures shown is planed with this app.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Last edited by KjellAV; 09-18-2018 at 05:01 AM.
09-18-2018, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That function is called a photographer's ephemeris. I personally use Photoxor Toolkit, which is free and very full featured...it also does exposure and ND calculations, FoV and DoF calculators and tracking.
09-18-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
That function is called a photographer's ephemeris. I personally use Photoxor Toolkit, which is free and very full featured...it also does exposure and ND calculations, FoV and DoF calculators and tracking.
Hi. I know there are other tools for this. But whatīs nice with this app, is the composition you se on the picture I have taken is also what you se in the app since the app construct 3D landscape and can show the moon/sun path. So I could plan exactly where the moon would be compare to the mountains and terrain. You donīt risk to come to your chosen spot only to realize the moon is behind a mountain.
09-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used an apps that's somewhat similar called PhotoPills. That one's main purpose is to track astronomy stuff like the Milky Way and north star.

I would like an app that also says the mountain peak names! Thanks for sharing!

09-18-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On a phone, the Photographer's Ephemeris will cost you. If you're using a PC at home, it's available as a free web app.

Web ? The Photographer's Ephemeris
09-19-2018, 03:38 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
This picture shows how the app viewed the scene i had planned from my chosen spot and time, and you can compare to the horisontal picture above.
Attached Images