Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #91
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You might want to look at this blog it has a bit of insight about "negative" adjustments which have to be implements first in the adjustments workflow. The Colors of Autumn | DxO Blog
It says to select the "negative adjustment tool". It doesn't say how to do that. Nor does the user guide. That's an example of the problem of limited information.

11-16-2018, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #92
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
This is where you finish up when you leave the herd! There's bunch of us strays here on a lonely mountainside.
I think I fit in here

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 05:09 PM ----------

It says to select the "negative adjustment tool". It doesn't say how to do that. Nor does the user guide. That's an example of the problem of limited information.
Exactly right, and as a new user that's frustrating. But while there are some frustrations, I'm inclined to cut DXO a good deal of slack. I think they're a small company, with limited resources, making good products (IMO), and have a lot on their plate. They have a user feedback forum (to which they actually listen and respond) and use customer feedback to prioritize what they're working on. Also, I have contacted their user support a few times and gotten a helpful response (from a person) very quickly. The one time I contacted Adobe for help, I got an auto-generated suggestion that I post my problem on a Lightroom forum
11-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I understand the adjustments tool, which is arguable, the negative adjustment tool is simply moving the exposure slider in the negative direction, to a minus value.
11-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #94
Forum Member

If I understand the adjustments tool, which is arguable, the negative adjustment tool is simply moving the exposure slider in the negative direction, to a minus value.
I was thinking of “negative” adjustments as a “minus” control point in a Nik plug-in, to remove an area from the adjustment. In PhotoLab it doesn’t work the same way as Nik.

11-16-2018, 08:30 PM - 2 Likes   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was wrong in my assumption. OK this is what I discovered, If you want to protect an area or remove an area from adjustments you need to set your control point then hold down the Alt key and click the control point circle center or maybe anywhere in the mask circle. I just tried it and it works. I discovered it with the online help menu. You can activate the control point help box by clicking the center of the contol point.

OK, I've strained my brain too much tonight I'm closing things down. Good luck!

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-16-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: more info
11-16-2018, 10:13 PM   #96
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was wrong in my assumption. OK this is what I discovered, If you want to protect an area or remove an area from adjustments you need to set your control point then hold down the Alt key and click the control point circle center or maybe anywhere in the mask circle. I just tried it and it works. I discovered it with the online help menu. You can activate the control point help box by clicking the center of the contol point.

Thanks very much for this Larry. I somewhere read about Alt+click but couldn't get it to work. I didn't take in that you need to Alt+click inside the control point circle whose application you are trying to limit. Then move or adjust the new "negative control point" to cover the area you want to protect.
11-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #97
Forum Member

I'm getting a handle on it now - thanks for your work. I've done some experimenting with the local adjustments in PL this morning and it's going quite well. The more I use PL the more I like it.

11-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
I'm getting a handle on it now - thanks for your work. I've done some experimenting with the local adjustments in PL this morning and it's going quite well. The more I use PL the more I like it.
Glad you are getting it worked out now. I'm very happy with PL2, I think its one great program even though its been maligned due to restructuring.

A little tip always make a virtual copy of your DNG file and do your processing on it rather than the original DNG.
11-17-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks very much for this Larry. I somewhere read about Alt+click but couldn't get it to work. I didn't take in that you need to Alt+click inside the control point circle whose application you are trying to limit. Then move or adjust the new "negative control point" to cover the area you want to protect.
Glad to help, I finally got curious enough to make an effort to get it worked out. Good Luck!
11-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad you are getting it worked out now. I'm very happy with PL2, I think its one great program even though its been maligned due to restructuring.

A little tip always make a virtual copy of your DNG file and do your processing on it rather than the original DNG.
Why? The changes are non destructive. You can always reset and start over. I make a virtual only when I want more than one take on a file.
11-17-2018, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Why? The changes are non destructive. You can always reset and start over. I make a virtual only when I want more than one take on a file.
Thats what I do too, its simply easier to make virtual copies when you want variations of your image and would rather not go back and redo your image once you decide that the present one is not the one you want to keep but a previous one is better. I sometimes create 4 or 5 different images from one basic RAW file.
11-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DxO has a Black Friday 50% off everything Nov 22 - 26. Online Store - DxO

I'd decided to pass on the upgrade when it was U.S. $69.99. Now it's U.S.$44.99. ($59CDN) But still, apart from the improvements to Clearview, there just doesn't seem to be much I'd have use for in it. If it included support for the 55 - 300PLM, I'd be more inclined to take them up on it.
11-22-2018, 08:22 PM   #103
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyrr Quote
But still, apart from the improvements to Clearview, there just doesn't seem to be much I'd have use for in it. If it included support for the 55 - 300PLM, I'd be more inclined to take them up on it.
It should really be PL 1.3 not PL 2.

I've submitted a number of requests for modules for the PLM. I must have worn it out, because the online suggestion page link doesn't work any more: My lens is not supported. How do I request it? ? Customer Support
11-24-2018, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It should really be PL 1.3 not PL 2.

I've submitted a number of requests for modules for the PLM. I must have worn it out, because the online suggestion page link doesn't work any more: My lens is not supported. How do I request it? ? Customer Support
I downloaded PhotoLab 2.0.1 it has a few fixes and an interesting feature that wasn't part of PL. You can now use Adobe DCP profiles, where as before you could not use them in RAW development as far as I know. You can find them in the "color rendering" section they have to be imported into PL2 but after import they are easily accessible. This is something nice.

Last edited by Larrymc; 11-24-2018 at 08:31 PM.
11-25-2018, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

This is probably the right thread to mention that I've just thrown some money at them. I think we want them to stay around. In some ways, they could have supported Pentax more, including when DxOMark was part of the company, but it's obvious their original value proposition and business model were not sustainable. In my mind, they're doing the right thing in taking the Nik patents forward, and the Black Friday prices are extremely fair for what you're getting.

It's by far not the only software I've used or will be using, but it's sufficiently full-featured for a lot of what one might do, and I've been using PRIME so much since getting it as a freebie from a DxO OpticsPro promotion years ago that it felt fair to finally acknowledge their contribution. Let's just be honest, PRIME saved my ass a couple times when a good image could have been unusable without it. Or at least I thought so.