Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2018, 04:57 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO Recently Purchased PhotoLab

I was aware of the DxO financial issues, but I decided to upgrade from Optics Pro 11 to PhotoLab. It was a good decision as the PL product is great. I have been going back thru years of DNG files from my K3II and K500 and reprocessing some files and have created some keepers from otherwise mediocre files. Hopefully DxO works their way out of Chap. 11. It's a risk but I don't want to be tied to monthly charges.

09-24-2018, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

09-24-2018, 05:31 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I've been searching for an alternative to a Lightroom subscription for RAW development for my K-3II. De-noising is very important to me and I used a trial version of DXO PhotoLab Elite Edition and was very happy with it. I don't care so much for the cataloging that Lightroom gives you - I can get that elsewhere. RAW development and ease of use/low learning curve is the most important to me.

But.... I don't know if buying into a bankrupt company for $200 software is a good idea. What are your thoughts? Anyone in a similar position? I wish they would at least give a discount for the software but I haven't been able to find one so if anyone knows how to get a discount, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thanks.
I use DXO Photolab and Viewpoint 3. Both are very good. I don't have a worry about DXO.
09-24-2018, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With all this talk of backups and cloud storage or not. The question I ask people who deal with a lot of digital data, whether that be work related data files or photos or whatever it is that you do:

If your house burnt down last night - What did you lose? And the follow up from that: Does it matter?
So long as you can answer those questions, then deciding on a storage medium, whether in the cloud or not, flows from there.

09-24-2018, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love DXO. I had creative cloud and. Dxo and dropped creative cloud.
09-24-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Good point. The fastest Internet connection I can get in my neighbourhood is 10mbps download, 1mbps upload. That's bits per second, so 120 Kilobytes of data per second and it has to be shared with every connected device in the house. If by some miracle the upload goes smoothly and the server on the other end doesn't request the re-transmission of any of it, your library will take almost 6 million seconds to upload, which is almost 70 days of non-stop downloading. When I'm travelling, I can't get close to those speeds with public wifi or a 4G cellular network, so the whole cloud thing becomes a ridiculous waste of time and electricity.If the person with the photo library is the only person editing those photos, there is an even simpler solution, a portable hard drive. It drives me crazy that there is such a fixation on doing personal computing in the cloud, it's not much of an advance over using a 300 baud Decwriter to connect to the corporate mainframe.
I just don't trust portable hard drives, I had two fail on me. So I'm trying to keep multiple copies of my stuff on different storage solutions, just to be safe. It sucks to lose the photo library but it'd suck even more to lose my work portfolio (graphic design stuff).
09-24-2018, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Right, and I would never criticise you or anyone else for that. It's a very personal decision. I'm happy I made the switch, but I absolutely understand there's a variety of reasons for not doing so. In some cases, those reasons are - I think - based on fear rather than practicality, and I guess that's what I was trying to get at. But yours is clearly based on practicality
Mike, I absolutely did not think you'd criticised - I'm not that sensitive Dunno why I wrote that detail, to be honest ...

09-25-2018, 09:31 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, there may be some risk involved in spending serious money on DxO, given their recent financial problems, but those may be temporary only, and if the restructuring they're undergoing is successful, you will have helped to save excellent product.

I gladly support them, having used OpticsPro Elite since v10, and currently using PhotoLab Elite, absolutely loving the intuitive UI, enjoying great support of pretty much all the K-3 / modern lens combos I could want, and the results are easily as good as, colour- and noise-wise even better than, anything I ever got out of LR v3 to 5.

Even picked up their consolidated Nik Collection 2018, which plugs into my old LR5, giving me TIFs I can then use in PhotoLab.

Here in Germany, they seem to send you emails with discount offers shortly before the trial version of a DxO product expires. Similarly, there are fairly attractive upgrade offers with new versions, when you have purchased an earlier version.

Actually, for me as a Pentaxian, this thing about rescue-worthy niche product is something I can kind of relate to ...
09-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #39

It may depend on whether you're planning to buy new equipment in the not-too-distant future which might not get supported with DxO profiles. I usually stick with older cameras and some non-OEM lenses that are supported and I make custom profiles if they're not available, so for me that's not an issue. The software is powerful and convenient in so many ways that I wouldn't want to be without it. I alternately use LR6 for its strengths, particularly superior CA correction of images shot with some lenses.

DxO often has discount offers which they will announce to you via email if you sign up.
09-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
RawTherapee is pretty good, and it's free. Can't beat the value. Their color processing is very good, imo better than LR, but I personally just can't get used to the interface and the workflow, so I'm going to be sticking with LR for a while.
I've been using RawTherapee quite a lot lately, after attempting to use Darktable to replace Lightroom. I find the interface and workflow in RT to be much more intuitive than Darktable, partly because of this thread.

I got okay results out of Darktable, but the higher the ISO went the worse things started to look and I was at a loss as to what to do. With RT and SquirrelMafia's .pp3 presets I can get results comparable to Lightroom even at ISO 10,000+.

It does have some limitations, like local edits. I have to go back to Lightroom or Darktable to do spot fixes. Even though I don't really like the Darktable interface fixing a sensor spot took less time than starting the program.
09-26-2018, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My first line backups are to local NAS drives, one 12 drive array for archived work, and another 12 drive array for my works in progress. Files get transferred onto the archive NAS when the projects are finished. and 12 drives gives a ton of redundancy. I only use the cloud for collaborative endeavors and for immediate pre-production work presentation and backup. I do not rely upon it for critical work. Personal portfolio works are stored on

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Personally, the thought of putting my precious files into something named after nebulous water vapour (aka clouds) gives me pause
...unless they are mushroom clouds. then it souldn't give you pause, but outright alarm.
09-27-2018, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Original poster here. I decided to purchase DXO PhotoLab Elite and am very happy with it. It definitely is better than the ON1 I have and I've used Lightroom extensively but still prefer DXO. Everyone has their favorites.
09-27-2018, 11:13 AM - 4 Likes   #43
Pentaxian

People who like DxO should purchase new copies if necessary. Your goal should be to play your part to keep them going. Although, the one thing that never comes under scrutiny is the competence of the management team. But DxO has provided valuable resources to the photographic community for a long time., and not just their customers, all of us. To me, they are worthy of support and an effort to keep them afloat.

If I thought it would save them, I'd probably even buy a copy or participate in crowd funding for them. They've earned some good will.

Unlike Adobe who have several times ripped me off.
09-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by obsolescence Quote
It may depend on whether you're planning to buy new equipment in the not-too-distant future which might not get supported with DxO profiles.
It's a worthwhile point. The 55 - 300 plm has been out since 2016 and still doesn't have a profile, and the coming 11 - 18mm might not get one either. (DxO can be used generically and make manual geometric distortion corrections.) If your current body and lenses have profiles, and you like the software and feel the price is affordable, it's well worth having.
10-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #45
Veteran Member

support good software

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
People who like DxO should purchase new copies if necessary. Your goal should be to play your part to keep them going. Although, the one thing that never comes under scrutiny is the competence of the management team. But DxO has provided valuable resources to the photographic community for a long time., and not just their customers, all of us. To me, they are worthy of support and an effort to keep them afloat.

If I thought it would save them, I'd probably even buy a copy or participate in crowd funding for them. They've earned some good will.

Unlike Adobe who have several times ripped me off.
Just spent $89 upgrading from a previous Elite version to PhotoLab 1 Elite and they threw in Viewpoint version 1 for free. That's good since they took out Viewpoint functions with DxO Optics Pro 11. PhotoLab is worth its weight in lenses and can significantly rework a RAW file fairly easily with supported models of camera/lens combos. They seem to have all the Pentax and third party lenses defined that I will ever need, but I am just an amateur. Very happy with the software.

I do hope the management of the company can leverage this expert knowledge for future releases and learn how to control costs better. I went directly to the DxO website and ordered (create a profile, order, and they sent me an email with my Activation key - very easy peasy). This way, I don't have to worry about storing software keys where I usually lose them, its in the email! And my online profile reflects which products I have activated.